Any moms who successfully lost their baby weight?

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I did, but most of it was gone when I gave birth. I think pregnant women should only be concerned about their gains if the doctor is concerned, but I think sometimes we expect that weight is just going to fall off after the baby is born but it doesn't. It's a bummer and sometimes it takes time to process, because having a new baby is hard. As with everything, hard work and dedication is the key.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think people are more successful when they didn't gain too much during (and after) pregnancy, were fit before and during pregnancy. And patience is really important. I know I tried to lose by a huge deficit (eating 1200 calories a day) while breastfeeding when my baby was less than a year old. It was a disaster. My milk supply dropped significantly and I had to up my calories over maintenance to get my milk supply back up. And pump a lot.

After finishing breastfeeding I had a lot of unsuccessful attempts losing weight but I'm finally making progress. I started my pregnancy at 120, I started losing at 170, now I'm at 159. I will reach goal weight by the time my baby's 3. The progress is moving along better now that I've gotten the hang of logging.

In the future, I would not eat at a deficit while breastfeeding. I will eat enough calories to maintain and breastfeed and work on strength training and frequent meals. (To possibly do some body recomp- lose fat, gain muscle) Then when I'm done breastfeeding if I have fat I'd like to lose I'll eat at a small deficit like I am now. (Plus once I finished breastfeeding this time- when my baby was 13 months- I was also sleeping better and less stressed when made exercising a lot easier.) I'd say success isn't measured by how fast you can get your body back. But starting out fit and staying fit during pregnancy would make it faster for sure!

I gained entirely too much with my daughter. 60lbs. And I lost all of it.
    How much you gained during the pregnancy doesn't make it any harder to get the weight off. You just have to work at it.

Yeah... sorry I didn't say that right- it's FASTER if you have less to lose. I think some people have unrealistic expectations of how fast they can "get their body back" because they see pictures of people saying- 3 months later and I'm back at pre-pregnancy weight. (I sure had unrealistic expectation.) But what I realized is those women were fit during pregnancy and didn't gain more weight that they were supposed to. Since I gained more than that- it'll take longer.

I exercised until 38 weeks pregnant - aerobics, gym, spin, Zumba, step and lots of walking. I also had my two young kids to run round after, and worked (I'm a teacher) until 35 weeks. I also logged and didn't eat over maintenance calories for my pre preg weight, except on an odd occasion. I didn't weigh myself, and still haven't 3 months post partum, but I'm about 2 dress sizes bigger still! I was a UK 10/12 and now I'm a 14/16 (so US 6/8 to 10/12). So sometimes we still gain no matter what we do. I'd like to think that my previous fitness, and exercising during pregnancy, will help me lose again.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter at the end of May last year, so I'm 14 months postpartum. I started the pregnancy overweight, so I've managed to lose the pregnancy weight plus another 35 lbs of the fat weight. I stick to my calorie allowance most days (and don't beat myself up when I go over - I just make myself sweat more!). I also get creative with exercising since I'm home with my daughter during the day. I jog in place while watching something on TV to get my 10k steps in, do videos on YouTube like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, kickboxing, and light weights. We also walk around the neighborhood after dinner as a family.

So definitely possible, with time and effort. I found success once I stopped making excuses and incorporated this lifestyle into my daily routine just like cooking meals and doing chores. :smile: Best of luck to your sister!

(And as another women commented above - ready to "ruin" this with baby #2!)

Before pregnancy / due date / 11 months postpartum (in the same shirt as the before picture)

2222_11.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    21 years later and I'm still trying!!! :bigsmile:

Hehe I was going to ask if it counted if it took 20 years...it will happen for you too.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old and, as of two weeks ago, have officially lost my baby weight. I did it by accepting that it would take a long time, set reasonable goals and calorie counted and exercised. It took 6 months and I lost 30lbs. It was not easy. Mostly finding time to go to the gym. I work and with the kids the only time I have is after 9pm when they are finally asleep. So, I go to the gym then. I really hate it.

Of course, I was fat before kids so I still have 45lbs to go to be at a healthy weight. I'll get there eventually. Slow and steady is best. I think we expect ourselves to be super moms and have the fat magically melt off. That's not realistic. There are going to be weeks where I don't go to the gym or eat at maintenance because kids are sick or life is too hectic. The important thing is to make better choices for myself and kids. I'm in it for the long haul.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I was 202# when I got pregnant with my son (at age 33). Gained 35# and by his first birthday I was down to my pre-pregnancy weight. In the interest of full disclosure, though, I waited until he was 9 months old to really try. I started Couch to 5K and 15 months later I run 7 miles for fun at 5am on a Saturday while my toddler is still sleeping. She can do this.

Her path and timeline will be uniquely hers, though, and she won't want to compare herself to any of us, or she may come away feeling like she is not doing it right. When, in reality, she may be doing it just right... it's just slower for her. Or, the other way around. Best of luck to her!
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My baby just turned two and I have lost almost twenty pounds in the last six months only because I got serious and started myfitnesspal tracking my calories. I also joined a boot camp for two months which helped I have recently feel off the band wagon and have not lost anymore weight but I would love to lose 40 more pounds. I am smaller than I have been in about four years and it's all because of tracking and being accountable of what you put in your body and how much exercise you do to burn calories. I really want to start c25k and hopefully I can lose 10 more pounds by my birthday Nov. Good luck it's all about dedication and remember slow and steady wins the race.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm about a year and a half post partum. I lost about 30 pounds of baby weight in 8 months. I started out doing C25K, and then as I was about 5 pounds away from my goal weight, I realized that I wasn't going to look the same as I did before. So I introduced weights into my routine. I'd done heavy lifting before, but never with a calorie deficit. Anyway, the weights are really what got me the body that I wanted. I contend that I now look better than I did before having the baby.

ETA: And a calorie deficit. I never averaged less than 1500 calories a day.

Yes. A resistance (weight lifting) routine is key. Right now, I do a progressive body weight exercise program because I can do it around the kids in the time I have available. Just losing fat is less likely to get you that pre-baby shape.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I weigh less than my pre-pregnancy weight, but I was overweight when I got pregnant, so that's not really saying much. I only gained 9 pounds during my pregnancy which was fine according to my doctor considering my starting weight. Simply having my baby and dropping the retained water put me right back to pre-pregnancy weight. My point is that it's sort of an arbitrary goal.

Please realize that she may never get her "old body" back. Pregnancy changes your body, sometimes in permanent ways, and for her (or you) to hold her to an impossible standard sets her up for failure. Breasts change, hips change, bellies change. I think it's great when a woman is able to bounce back and everything's great, but that's not the case for a lot of women, and they shouldn't be made to feel bad about themselves if it doesn't happen that way for them. Besides, if you were to ask most of the women who seemingly bounce back, I'd be willing to bet there is something about her body that isn't the same as it was before.

In the meantime, if your sister is still nursing, she needs to make sure she is getting enough calories to support her supply. If she is sleep-deprived, spending her free time resting is more important to her health (mental health in particular) than getting a workout in. If she can take a long walk with baby in the stroller, great. If she can make sure she is eating a varied diet, that's awesome for both her and the baby. If she can manage to get 6-8 hours of solid sleep per day, she's doing wonders.

My son is now 2 1/2. I can credit him for my recent months' weight loss because running around after him all day more than makes up for the fact that I don't like to exercise for the sake of exercise. I make (mostly) healthy meals so that I can raise him with a better relationship with food than I had.

What your sister needs is your support, not your criticism. Giving her a long list of stories from women who were able to lose their weight quickly when she was not able to may have a very different (likely negative) affect than what you are intending. If she truly wants to lose weight, better her body, better herself, that motivation needs to come from within.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I had my old body back and was only 5lbs higher than pregnancy weight within 2.5 weeks. I am in all of my prepregnancy clothes.

However, I did not consider this a good thing yet as my prepregnancy body was nowhere near ideal to begin with.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I think people are more successful when they didn't gain too much during (and after) pregnancy, were fit before and during pregnancy. And patience is really important. I know I tried to lose by a huge deficit (eating 1200 calories a day) while breastfeeding when my baby was less than a year old. It was a disaster. My milk supply dropped significantly and I had to up my calories over maintenance to get my milk supply back up. And pump a lot.

After finishing breastfeeding I had a lot of unsuccessful attempts losing weight but I'm finally making progress. I started my pregnancy at 120, I started losing at 170, now I'm at 159. I will reach goal weight by the time my baby's 3. The progress is moving along better now that I've gotten the hang of logging.

In the future, I would not eat at a deficit while breastfeeding. I will eat enough calories to maintain and breastfeed and work on strength training and frequent meals. (To possibly do some body recomp- lose fat, gain muscle) Then when I'm done breastfeeding if I have fat I'd like to lose I'll eat at a small deficit like I am now. (Plus once I finished breastfeeding this time- when my baby was 13 months- I was also sleeping better and less stressed when made exercising a lot easier.) I'd say success isn't measured by how fast you can get your body back. But starting out fit and staying fit during pregnancy would make it faster for sure!

I gained entirely too much with my daughter. 60lbs. And I lost all of it.
    How much you gained during the pregnancy doesn't make it any harder to get the weight off. You just have to work at it.

I was overweight to begin with and am overweight now. I gained more than the doctor's wanted me to and even had a C section. I still bounced right back. My body is exactly the same as it was before. (But, as I said before, my body now - and before - is not ideal)
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm back to the same weight I was before I got pregnant HOWEVER I carry the weight differently now. I don't believe the scale because I do look differently then I did before getting pregnant, my hips are also wider than they were before baby so it makes me feel a lot bigger.

BTW. I did have a c-section... I know that makes it harder to work out and lose weight especially in the beginning.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had my son nearly 3 years ago. Lost my baby weight....however, I am left with a small amount of excess skin on my stomach. I lost weight simply by going to the gym and having a high protein diet and determination. That being said when your a mum, I think its a juggling act to fit in working, family time, cooking meals, cleaning the house and exercising. Thankfully I'm a full time mum, who has family watch my son so I can weightlift/do taekwondo. I take my hat off to women who do it all!
  • squeakybuttcheeks
    squeakybuttcheeks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am 19 lbs away from pre baby weight (again haha)! My youngest son will be two at the end of October and I am shooting to have lost it all by then.

61979966.png
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    My youngest is 3 and a half. I also have a 6 year old.

I weigh 21 lbs less than before I got pregnant with my first child. When I was 27 (before kids), I was (at my smallest) a size 8. After 2 kids and at 34, I'm down to a 4.

***Overhauling my diet and reducing the amount of processed food, cardio and weight lifting
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I lost all the baby weight after I delivered my son (who is now 6). I am currently at my prepregnancy weight with my daughter (who will be 2 in October). I have 18ish pounds to lose to be where I want to be.

It's absolutely doable.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'm thinner now 2 years after my son was born than I was before I got pregnant.

You just have to find that groove.
  • mjmeintjes
    Options
    Wow! This forum is the best. Thanks to everyone who has replied to my request with your inspirational stories. It is really great to see all the positivity. That's exactly what I want to share with my sister - a positive attitude is the first step to getting motivated to achieve your goals.

I think what has had a negative impact on my sister is her friends telling her that "she's a mom now, and that just the way moms look". And "giving birth slowed down your metabolism, there's nothing you can do about it".

I don't agree with this. I understand that a women's body changes when she gives birth, but you are all examples of why this shouldn't mean that you should be overweight and unhealthy for the rest of your life. Like someone told me recently - "you can have excuses or you can have results".

I really appreciate your advice and stories. I'm planning to reply to all of you individually as well as I go through all the information.

Thanks again.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 30 years old now.

I was 125 lbs when I got married at 19. Put on weight over the years.

PP#1 I was 157 lbs. Gained 23 lbs - 180 lbs. Within 8 days postpartum I was back to 157 lbs. Still overweight. Lost 10 lbs between 7-9 months postpartum and got pregnant again.

PP#2 I was 147 lbs. Gained 46 (FOURTY SIX POUNDS) - 193. 2 months pp i was only down to 171 lbs. Found MFP counted calories, breastfed, and took kids on walk in double stroller. 6.5 months postpartum I lost 36 lbs more to 135 lbs - 12 lbs below pp weight. Got pregnant again.

PP#3 I was 135 lbs. Gained 22 lbs - 157 (my pp weight of #1!). 2.5 months postpartum I am down 19 lbs. I plan on losing the last 3 lbs (hopefully in the next month) and another 10 lbs.

I had 3 kids in under 3 years and am 20 lbs lighter than when I started having kids.
  • mjmeintjes
    Options
    Hello. I'm a mom of three and I successfully lost the baby weight after each one. I was over weight before I started but I'm getting slimmer with each child. Things that helped me were having a schedule and sticking to it and breastfeeding. I used this site especially for the last two. Most of my weight loss was baby steps of lifestyle changes and not big drastic changes. At first I began exercising just 2-3 days a week for 20 minutes. I slowly increased frequency, duration, and intensity. I also increased my fiber, protein, and drinking lots of water is huge. Mostly it has been a very slow road for me. I tend to loose a about 10-15 pounds a year but then I don't do drastic dieting and I live my life. Online videos can be great for a busy mom. They can be done during naps or with the kid in a playpen watching you. My kids grew up watching me work out to Wii games. They encourage me and sometime join in for a minute or two.
    That being said. It is really hard to get back your pre-pregnant body. A lot of areas stretched and filled out for me and I doubt exercise will every completely restore that. Pilates are great for your lower abs to loose that mom pouch but they won't remove stretch marks. Your sister's body has changed and with some work, she can come to see some of those changes are badges of honor. I know I take great pride in being called Mom. In some small ways my body will always show that I earned that title.
    Good luck to both of you!

Thanks for your story DiamondRubyMom. I love that are getting slimmer with each child. I also agree with you about making small lifestyle changes that become permanent, rather than drastic, but temporary, changes. I believe that the way we look are just a symptom of what we do. Which means we can't look healthy if we don't live healthy.

I agree with you that it is important for her to understand that some things about her body has changed permanently.

I think the main issues she has is with her health and setting a good example for her son. Since gaining the weight she has struggled with back pain. She has also told me that she wants her son to grow up and look at her as an example of a fit, healthy person.

Unfortunately, the problem is that she believes that there is nothing she can do about it. Some of her friends have told her that her being overweight is just a normal consequence of being a mom ("you're a mom now, and that just the way moms look"), and that her metabolism has slowed down permanently and there is nothing she can do about it ("giving birth slowed down your metabolism, there's nothing you can do about it").

That's why I appreciate your candid and inspirational story - I find it very inspirational that you focused on making small, positive lifestyle changes. Thanks for sharing your story!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!