I worked out less today than I usually do

Options
I usually spend 2 sometimes 2 1/2 hours at the gym. Today I only stayed for 50 minutes. Should I eat less today to make up the difference?

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Based on your diary, you need to be eating more EVERY DAY.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

agreed...esp with only 10lbs to go...you should be eating almost maitenance at this point. TDEE-5 or 10% max.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The goal is to get the NET calorie parameter as close to "0" as possible. Food minus exercise to goal.

Eat more to get there.

Edit: See Net calorie number with the big ticker on your home page.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    The goal is to get the NET calorie parameter as close to "0" as possible. Food minus exercise to goal.

Eat more to get there.

No, that should not be anyone's goal.

That's quite dangerous advice.
  • 86_Ohms
    Options

Eat more to get there.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12031-what-are-net-calories-
  • 126siany
    Options

Eat more to get there.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12031-what-are-net-calories-

Did you read the link you posted? It does not appear that you did.
  • 86_Ohms
    Options

Eat more to get there.

Seriously? Here's an extended version on an expanded basis for what the website sets as guidelines:

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
    Because your daily calorie goal already accounts for your intent to gain or lose weight at a particular rate, you can achieve your goal by eating the specified number of calories per day, with no additional exercise required. If you do exercise, then your daily calorie goal will increase for the day, to stabilize your weight loss or weight gain at the rate you initially specified.

Edit: Also, are we on the same wavelength? I'm stating "Net Calories" -- not consuming 2000 calories and not working off 2000 calories to "0".
  • 126siany
    Options

Eat more to get there.

Seriously? Here's an extended version on an expanded basis for what the website sets as guidelines:

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
    Because your daily calorie goal already accounts for your intent to gain or lose weight at a particular rate, you can achieve your goal by eating the specified number of calories per day, with no additional exercise required. If you do exercise, then your daily calorie goal will increase for the day, to stabilize your weight loss or weight gain at the rate you initially specified.

You clearly do not understand NET calories, no matter how many links you post and apparently do not read.

Net calories should not be 0--EVER. It is quite dangerous to advise people to aim for 0 NET calories.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    86_Ohms, the error in your posting is that you recommend netting to 0. This is incorrect. One should be trying to get their NET daily calories to match their daily goal. For instance, my daily goal is 1450. I eat 1450 plus let's say 300 exercise calories. In total, I consume 1750 but minus 300 for exercise and that's netting 1450.

ETA: I think what you mean to say is that your Remainng calories on your food diary should be 0.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Especially foods higher in protein and fats. There is no way possible you can get all your essential fats and amino acids at those levels, especially while working out that much.
  • 86_Ohms
    Options
    86_Ohms, the error in your posting is that you recommend netting to 0. This is incorrect. One should be trying to get their NET daily calories to match their daily goal. For instance, my daily goal is 1450. I eat 1450 plus let's say 300 exercise calories. In total, I consume 1750 but minus 300 for exercise and that's netting 1450.

Argh.

Ive_Made_a_Huge_Mistake.jpg

Thanks for your response above... you know.

Calories remaining =0.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

Argh.

Ive_Made_a_Huge_Mistake.jpg

Thanks for your response above... you know.

Calories remaining =0.

I knew what you meant. :flowerforyou:
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    OP, what on Earth are you doing for a workout to earn an extra 2400-3000 calories some days? I think your workout calculations might be off! Just a thought..?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You are not even eating 1200 calories a day. Sooner or later this will negatively affect your health. I also agree with re-checking your calories burned because those seem to be overestimated.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

agreed...esp with only 10lbs to go...you should be eating almost maitenance at this point. TDEE-5 or 10% max.

I decided that I want to lose 20 pounds not 10 pounds.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    OP, what on Earth are you doing for a workout to earn an extra 2400-3000 calories some days? I think your workout calculations might be off! Just a thought..?

I was thinking that my calorie count may be off too. I just put the exercise and the amount of time that I did it into MFP and the app calculates it for me. How could I more accurately calculate my calories?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter if you want to lose 10, 20, or 100 lbs. You should be eating more than the amounts stated in your journal. In addition to losing weight, you want to be healthy and this is the part that is not going to work for you if you don’t meet your body’s nutrients level.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Yeah, doesn't matter. Eat more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, what are your goals anyways?
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    OP, what are your goals anyways?

My goals are to weigh about 165-170.