Breakfast on the go, meal prepping?

Options
I'll be starting school in a couple of weeks and, I'm trying to figure out how I should do breakfast. My first class in 8:30am on Monday & Wednesday and 9:30am on Tuesday & Thursday; so I would need something on the go. I saw some Special K shakes I thought that would be good for breakfast but I don't know what to eat with that? Any suggestions for on the go breakfast? Maybe fruit?

Thanks.
:)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I prep my morning breakfast M-F. Lots of things you can do in advance. I "pack" my breakfast the night before, the same way I pack lunch.

The breakfast that keeps me full the longest..........I put some Dannon Light yogurt (or any yogurt) in a dish with a lid - I add 1/4 frozen berries. Cover & refrigerate. I measure out 1 TBL slivered almonds (healthy fat) & 3/4 C. Kashi Go Lean cereal (protein & fiber!)....I put this in a baggie. I add the cereal & yogurt mixtures together in the morning right before I'm going to eat it. Crunchy, creamy, and very filling.

Many people pre-cook oatmeal (steel cut or 5 minute kind) spoon into containers & just re-heat. Lots of add ins make this filling. Nuts, nut butter. Cook with milk instead of water, etc.

Breakfast burritos....these can be frozen ahead of time. Bake your eggs (and veggies) like a casserole & slice into individual portions. Toss on cheese & wrap up in foil.

Greek yogurt is super filling....add a little granola (find some with fiber) and a few nuts. Special K shakes have 10 grams of protein.....Greek Yogurt has more.
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Whole Wheat tortilla with almond butter or peanut butter spread on it with some sliced banana. Makes a good wrap to take with you.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts YUM
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    UGH! It's almost school time again :( That means back to adult life, so last year I used to make a baked oatmeal over the weekend and it would be enough for me for the week. I also would do a protein shake sometimes. I usually try to do quick things because I'm not a morning person. So sometimes it would be the oatmeal and sometimes it would be a shake and piece of fruit. Someone told me I should do the shake and oatmeal both but we will see.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    I love doing premade lil "omelet cups". lotsa veggies and protein and premade in muffin tins!!! Kinda like a fritatta or a quiche without the bread - you can mix and match so you dont get bored. Throw em in the micro for like 15-30 seconds and BOOM! instant yummy breakfast!
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I pack my breakfast and lunch the night before. I usually have a yogurt and fruit for breakfast. I used to drink those special k shakes but I didn't get full off of them and felt like I needed a mid-morning snack. Yogurt w/ fruit is a good breakfast on the go and it can be filling!! Good Luck!
  • jaecobb86
    jaecobb86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I make muffins on Sunday nights that are great for someone on the go. They are 4 cups of oats, 1 cup of almond milk, 3 ripe bananas ( mashed), pinch of salt, 1/3 cup of oil, cinnamon, baking powder and 1 cup of stevia. Put the oats in the food proceessor until they become a flour. Then add all the other ingredients and mix together. Pour in muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees. They are amazing! Another option is to make smoothies. You can put just about anything in a smoothie and add flax seed, chia seeds, greek yogurt, oats, and nut butters, which are good for protein.

Happy eating!
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I make my own "egg mcmuffins" and freeze them. I can either thaw them overnight in fridge or in the morning in the microwave. All it takes is a pack of english muffins, a pack of pre-sliced canadian bacon, 6 eggs and 6 slices of cheese. I have a "whoopie" baking pan and I break an egg into each spot and bake the eggs. After they cool I assemble and freeze.

I'm also a fan of baked oatmeal (someone else mentioned this), whole wheat muffins of different varieties, and boiled eggs.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I love doing premade lil "omelet cups". lotsa veggies and protein and premade in muffin tins!!! Kinda like a fritatta or a quiche without the bread - you can mix and match so you dont get bored. Throw em in the micro for like 15-30 seconds and BOOM! instant yummy breakfast!

I LOVE this idea!!! I bet you could make a big batch of them ahead of time and freeze them too. You could even use the Egg Beaters egg whites so you don't have all the fat from the yolks..

AWESOME idea!!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I used to throw a piece of toast into the toaster, pop some peanut/almond butter on there, grab a banana, and head out the door. I also used to do a plain or everything bagel thin (steer clear of the whole wheat unless you enjoy eating cardboard) with some cream cheese and an apple. Protein shakes/smoothies would also be good. Don't do the Special K shakes. Get a quality protein powder and make your own - they'll surely be more tasty than anything that comes already made.

Here's a particularly delicious recipe:
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk OR 1 cup coconut water
    1/2 cup water
    1 big handful of spinach leaves
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
    1/2 cup frozen mango chunks

Blend it all up into an awesome green smoothie that tastes like summer in a cup,

You could also do a Quest bar (or other high quality protein bar) and a piece of fruit. Muffins would be good, too. Or some dry cereal.
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal or chia seed pudding (one recipe for chia seed pudding is below).

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/05/superfood-triple-berry-chia-pudding.html
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting school in a couple of weeks and, I'm trying to figure out how I should do breakfast. My first class in 8:30am on Monday & Wednesday and 9:30am on Tuesday & Thursday; so I would need something on the go. I saw some Special K shakes I thought that would be good for breakfast but I don't know what to eat with that? Any suggestions for on the go breakfast? Maybe fruit?

Thanks.
    :)

316b3hl.jpg
    http://tinyurl.com/lkwl822

ETA: link
  • culturedkey
    Options
    I've done the muffins similar to jaecobb and usually had a cup of chobani yogurt to go with it. Ditto also for the oatmeal bakes - I'd cook one at the beginning of the week and eat it throughout the week. I"ve also enjoyed crustless quiches - http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/11/spinach-mushroom-feta-crustless-quiche/ is my favorite. Budget bytes also has some great recipes for oatmeal bakes.

I currently eat my fit foods for all my meals...costs an arm and a leg, but its lowered the amount of time and stress it took for me to get meals done for the week so its been worth it for us.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    There are so many good ideas in this thread already! I know you're busy, OP, but for me I find it relaxing and enjoyable to take like 15 minutes in the morning for breakfast at my own kitchen table. It just feels good to sit and relax with coffee for that time before I rush out the door. I am not a slow eater by any means, but I don't like rushing to eat something in the car or at work so I like to have it before I go. Obviously though I am like most people and don't enjoy waking up crazy early.

My usual go-to work day breakfasts are similar to what many people have posted but these are my favorites:

egg taco - fried egg with salsa or chipotle dressing on a tortilla (quickly warmed up while cooking the egg in the same pan), seriously takes less than 5 minutes.

Greek yogurt mixed with fresh or frozen fruit, quick oats, and flaxseed overnight...stir & eat in the AM

muffin cups - check out recipes on Pinterest or any light cooking site. My favorite has an egg, oats, cinnamon, blueberries & vanilla, it turns into a cake-like consistency and I usually drizzle sugar free syrup on top.

toast or Sandwich thin with a bit of PB or Nutkao and 1/2 or whole banana on top

boiled egg(s) and/or string cheese and/or fruit

quick 1- or 2-egg omelet with some combination of peppers, onion, mushrooms, diced cabbage, bean sprouts, fresh basil & Sriracha

toasted English muffin with a cooked egg (I like over medium) on one half, little bit of jam on the other half

All of these breakfasts are around 200 calories, the banana/Nutkao on toast is still ~300. I find a small breakfast is fine for me because I eat lunch around 11:30 or 12...I'm sure you will wanna beef that up if you don't eat again until much later.

Good luck!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've done the muffins similar to jaecobb and usually had a cup of chobani yogurt to go with it. Ditto also for the oatmeal bakes - I'd cook one at the beginning of the week and eat it throughout the week. I"ve also enjoyed crustless quiches - http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/11/spinach-mushroom-feta-crustless-quiche/ is my favorite. Budget bytes also has some great recipes for oatmeal bakes.

I currently eat my fit foods for all my meals...costs an arm and a leg, but its lowered the amount of time and stress it took for me to get meals done for the week so its been worth it for us.

I have made that quiche and it is awesome for days.
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • BexB42
    BexB42 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that recipe! i love grapenut pudding, and this looks like a super alternative! :)
  • nairod12
    nairod12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing all the recipes and ideas ????????????