any seniors over 60 yrs eating TDEE

Options
any seniors eating TDEE and having success, please let me know...I have been told before seniors don't eat very much..why they say this I don't know. I have a lot of friends eating 1200 calories and less but I can't agree on this

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    TDEE would be your maintenance. Now when you compare two people of similar size, the older one will generally have lower lean body mass (as it's known as we age, we lose muscle). So while you and a 21 might weigh the same and be the same height, they generally will have a lower body fat%, because they have more lean body mass (LBM = muscle, tissue, bone density, etc...). Now your TDEE is individualized based on how much you move. So if you have an active job and you exercise 6 hours a week, your TDEE will be greater than those younger with less activity.

In the end, a lot of it is trial and error. Logging every day and using a food scale is critical to finding out your true TDEE, regardless of what the formulas predict. You can always start with 1500 and see how much weight you lose and back into the TDEE.
  • scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    TDEE would be your maintenance. Now when you compare two people of similar size, the older one will generally have lower lean body mass (as it's known as we age, we lose muscle). So while you and a 21 might weigh the same and be the same height, they generally will have a lower body fat%, because they have more lean body mass (LBM = muscle, tissue, bone density, etc...). Now your TDEE is individualized based on how much you move. So if you have an active job and you exercise 6 hours a week, your TDEE will be greater than those younger with less activity.

In the end, a lot of it is trial and error. Logging every day and using a food scale is critical to finding out your true TDEE, regardless of what the formulas predict. You can always start with 1500 and see how much weight you lose and back into the TDEE.

I read what you had to say but you are 32 years old not a senior, I am aware of that but what I am asking is that seniors give me their own experience...their own take on this...I know I can start with certain calories and see what happens, which I have been doing for a long time...Others opinion on this will be interesting to read...thanks for yours
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm 68. I've been eating TDEE minus 250 calories a day, which I calculated to be 1900 calories a day for me, to lose 1/2 pound per week. I've actually averaged a little more, about 3/4 pound per week since I started using this method in late May so my actual TDEE is probably a little more than 2150. I reached my weight loss goal of 20 pounds gone last week (I lost 5 before joining MFP). Your TDEE depends on your activity level and body size, so it would be different for each person, but you definitely don't have to limit yourself to 1200 calories just because you're over 60, unless you're very small or sedentary!
  • scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @Annie...thank you for your response, my TDEE is 2298 and I will eat -20% less 1798 or even 1698...:flowerforyou:
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Let me know how you do!