Pre-made meal service

Options
Goal179
Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
Hello MFP's
I respect your opinions (as always) and I would love for you to help me make a decision. I have been on MFP over 300 days and my biggest problem, my biggest failure, is around meal planning and meal prep. I am just awful at it. When I do meal prep, i seem to do a poor job calculating calories and measuring. I am just a mess. I have a large family and I make separate meals for them. I tried making them eat what I eat so that I can only meal prep once per week, but it just doesn't work. There is no way that my 3 year old will eat quinoa and baked chicken every day. I am just too tired and too overwhelmed to be able to prep healthy meals for two different diet plans (mine and theirs).I believe 100% that my failure to get more weight off is strictly because of lousy diet. I have done Jenny Craig and weight watchers and those frozen meals don't work for me either. I need fresh prepared food. So I found a service in my area that prepares fresh (some organic) calorie balanced, nutritionally balanced meals based on your requirements (such as gluten free, low carb, 1800 calories) . The service is expensive, but it is nothing compared to the time and grocery bill accumulated when trying to meal prep for the week for two different meal plans. I often find myself with no food prepared and I end up eating out or eating junk. It's awful. I think this meal plan service may be the answer. SOmehow, I have got to string together exercise AND diet if i am going to be successful. I can't do the meal plans forever, but at least I can use them to jump start my nutritious eating. I also hope to learn some new recipes that I can mimic on my own. I might also be able to discover meals that are healthy that both me and my family can eat. What is your opinion? Am I setting myself up for even more failure or is this a good plan? Anyone else out there using a service for this type of thing?

Replies

• culturedkey
    Options
    I'm doing exactly the same thing right now. My husband and I eat my fit foods, and its been a lot easier to deal with. The food is fresh, no preservatives, and a lot of the recipes are legitimately awesome tasting. It definitely costs a lot more for us than cooking, as I got really good at cheap meals (not necessarily healthy though).

I would definitely go for it, but take a look at the snacks and see if you can make those yourself if you want to save money. That and breakfasts are where they seem to be the most overpriced. Also, not sure about the places near you, but our store lets us email orders in 3 days before we pick them up, and the food will be pulled and waiting for us already, all we have to do is pay.

Edit: - I have come up with some copy cat recipes, especially for snacks and breakfasts like I mentioned for when I'm not eating it full time. Also, my fit foods will do a 21 day challenge with you where they actually pick out the meals for you ahead of time. Dunno if you have one near you, but it too really takes the guess work out of it and they can tailor the plan for your goals.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter where the food comes from, to lose weight means to eat at a calorie deficit. For nutrition I follow I the flexible dieting technique IIFYM (If it fits your macros). If I am meeting my calorie goal for the day, eating the minimum amount of required fats and proteins and the rest carbs I'm a happy camper.

To address Pre-Made meal services, I see nothing wrong with it. You'll still need to track the calories consumed and track your macros to make sure you are getting proper nutrition. If you can afford it and it's valuable to you, why not go for it.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    "I am just too tired and too overwhelmed to be able to prep healthy meals for two different diet plans (mine and theirs)"

Can you give an example to what you're cooking for yourself vs what your cooking for you family?
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The only problem I can see is what you'll do when you reach maintenance. You don't plan to stay on one of these plans forever, right? So if it helps you lose, awesome, but you'll want to be sure to have a plan in place for what to do after that point.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I am only meal prepping for myself so I can not speak to the other but I will say that once you get a system down it does become considerably easier. My first few times meal prepping for the week took me a few hours which included putting meals in separate containers and clean up. I can now have it all done in about 1.5hrs and I have food for about 4-5 days (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks). I say just to keep at it and you will become more efficient at it. Then just cook as you go for the rest of your family. Do you have a husband or SO that can help in the cooking of meals.
  • cub1771
    cub1771 Posts: 4
    Options
    Sunday nights I usually try to cook 2-3 days worth of meals for myself, so if I need to cook something different for my family for those days, I'm still only cooking one meal. Then usually Tuesday or Wednesday I'll cook another couple to get me through Friday evening. The weekends are pretty easy.

Also, my kids are young enough and have a very diverse diet/taste buds it works well. A lot of times we eat the same things, just in different ways. Or I'll give the kids and my wife carbs, but I'll skip them if they don't fit for me that day. We may do taco's, and I'll just have mine in a bowl with some salsa and light cheese, where the family might use a taco shell or burrito.
  • Goal179
    Options
    "I am just too tired and too overwhelmed to be able to prep healthy meals for two different diet plans (mine and theirs)"

Can you give an example to what you're cooking for yourself vs what your cooking for you family?

Yes, a good example is home made lasagna with garlic bread. The lasgana has noodles, ground beef, and cheese galore. The bread is well...bread and just not something that I want to include in my meal plans right now. The kids and the hubby love it, but I can't really eat it. I tried using the sauce and pouring it over spaghetti squash but that didn't work because the spaghetti squash doesn't hold up well over multiple days plus it takes about 2 hours to bake properly. Instead of eating the lasagna, I will cook stir fry veggie quinoa and baked chicken. Two totally different meals with completely different ingredients. Usually by the time, I finish their meals, I don't feel like cooking mine.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    With the lasgana, why not just have a bit of it and a large salad. That's what I do, just kind of use portioning to hit my goals instead of having different meals.

But if it works for you to buy your meal plan then go at it. What ever works for you. I just know it wouldn't fit my budget at all and it would be really weird for me to sit down and eat something completely different than the rest of my family.
  • Goal179
    Options
    I love the my fit meals, but they don't have them in my state. I am only order lunch and dinner. Snacks are easy for me because I love almonds and nut butters, goat cheese, etc. Breakfast is easy too because I make mini quiche that is easy to warm up every day OR I just drink a smoothie. IT is lunch and dinner where I fail.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    If it's about spending a fortune on a convenienece, I always take the high, difficult road.

If you SEE it as a huge problem, it will BE a huge problem.

I hear excuses and justifications. I'm sorry honey, but I do. There is nothing that can't be done. Chicken breast over salad, fish over veggies, light pasta and veggies, soups, etc. Hey, if you got it like that, if you can spend money on that, then go for it...but if money is an issue, I suggest you try to find a way.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm fortunate to live near this:

http://www.thefitstation.com/

If a meal service makes life easier for you, and you can afford it, then I don't see the problem. However, that is said with the caveat that eventually you do need to learn how to meal plan, portion, and count without having someone do it for you...unless you plan to use the meal service for the rest of your life. As a temporary fix, I see no issue with it whatsoever.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    With the lasgana, why not just have a bit of it and a large salad. That's what I do, just kind of use portioning to hit my goals instead of having different meals.

But if it works for you to buy your meal plan then go at it. What ever works for you. I just know it wouldn't fit my budget at all and it would be really weird for me to sit down and eat something completely different than the rest of my family.

I have to agree with this. And maybe use a lighter cheese and a smaller amount of it and whole wheat noodles.

Also, I'd like to add that I've been there... with the losing weight and then gaining it back. It seems that you've struggled a lot with that. So i would definitely think that if you continue to do two meals instead of learning to work out your calories that you'll end up burning out on this also. How long are you going to eat chicken while your family eats lasagna? I would suggest to learn how to slim down those family favorites or how to balance them into your day and stick with that.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, a good example is home made lasagna with garlic bread. The lasgana has noodles, ground beef, and cheese galore. The bread is well...bread and just not something that I want to include in my meal plans right now. The kids and the hubby love it, but I can't really eat it.

1. Have you tried using the recipe building tool? You can calculate the calories in 1 serving of your lasagna and then have, well, one serving of it.

2. Adapt the recipes that you currently use to be lower calorie. Re: lasagna, add spinach, use low fat or part skin cheese, use veggie crumbles (Morningstar grillers crumbles are my favorite) or lean ground beef, use a little less cheese, etc. You can also make half of the lasagna super cheesy and the other half lightly cheesy. Cheese doesn't travel around the pan too much.

3. Have your hubby help. If you're feeling overwhelmed feeding the family, ask him for assistance. You can be responsible for the lower calorie meals (chicken & quinoa, in your example) which everyone eats, then, a few times a week, he can make the cheesy, high calorie meals). Or he can help you with the bulk prep.

4. The internet has a ton of recipes. Your kids might not be keen on health-food all week, but you can find some new staples that everyone is happy with, especially "build your own" things, where you can build yours as high or low calorie as you want. I'm thinking falafel, gyros, tacos, fajitas, baked potatoes, personal pizzas, and wraps.

Meal prep services are great but won't teach you how to eat with other people.
  • lollyhackett
    lollyhackett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am a mum of two boys and also married I understand that it is hard to meal prep for the entire family. I prepare each meal fresh for us and then we all eat the same. Would it not hurt to try and get your kids and husband to eat the same as you a couple of days a week? (Don't shoot me down!!!) Slow and steady is the way, so why not say you all eat what you would like 2 days a week to start with? That way you can at least save on 2 days of purchasing your meals prepped elsewhere.

Furthermore, there are tons of recipes out there whereby you can all enjoy a meal together.

I'll take the lasagne for instance, why not use roasted Mediterranean vegetables such as zucchini or eggplant to replace some layers of the pasta? Instead of using tons of cheesey sauce why not replace with some low fat ricotta and a sprinkling of parmesan. Instead of bread prepare a Panzanella?

Here's a good link for 150 family meals under 500 kcal!

A regular thing I make for my kids now is cauliflower pizza - they literally cannot get enough!!

I understand that prepping might be a bore for you, somehow you have got to find some enjoyment out of it! In doing so it is going to reap dividends for not only your health but your family's too. I think it just takes some time to get into the habit and changing things up a bit and also once you get that EUREKA moment from your children from something healthy you've prepared and they love it!

Personally I would stay well clear of prepared meals, but that's just my honest opinion.

I'm always happy to offer more meal ideas if you would like?

Take care! Lauren.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yes, a good example is home made lasagna with garlic bread. The lasgana has noodles, ground beef, and cheese galore. The bread is well...bread and just not something that I want to include in my meal plans right now. The kids and the hubby love it, but I can't really eat it. I tried using the sauce and pouring it over spaghetti squash but that didn't work because the spaghetti squash doesn't hold up well over multiple days plus it takes about 2 hours to bake properly. Instead of eating the lasagna, I will cook stir fry veggie quinoa and baked chicken. Two totally different meals with completely different ingredients. Usually by the time, I finish their meals, I don't feel like cooking mine.

I don't understand. Is there something inherently bad about noodles, beef or cheese? Or bread for that matter? I am trying to understand why you can't eat it?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids, I just finished being in school full time and I just make meals the whole family can eat. I adapt old classics to better fit my new lifestyle and eat them in moderation. Other than my vegetarian kid, for example, the others (and my husband) will all eat meatballs/meatloaf with green zucchini in it, mac'n'cheese with pureed cauliflower, any sort of roasted vegetable. Tonight, chicken breast stir fry with broccoli, peppers and onions and mushrooms. I'll make some rice as a side, but choose not to partake since the rest fills me up and it doesn't fit my calories today (mexican for lunch, lol). It's all about making choices, and I choose to be healthy without being a prig and my kids (and husband) survive and thrive great on a balanced diet as well.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I don't understand. Is there something inherently bad about noodles, beef or cheese? Or bread for that matter? I am trying to understand why you can't eat it?

Me too. Eat a portion of lasagna and a salad. Skip the bread if you want. You don't need to eat chicken and quinoa every day to lose weight. Just eat reasonable size portions of whatever the rest of your family is eating.
  • jhall1255
    jhall1255 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

you could easily make this "healthier" without them knowing.

Get whole wheat lasagna noodles, and use ground turkey meat instead of fatty ground beef, use low fat cheeses or put a section of the lasagna for yourself (a square) without any cheese on the top if you want to do it that way. the sauces calorie wise isnt that bad but you can always make your own homemade sauce.
  • jhall1255
    jhall1255 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also you can substitute the bread for a salad, and maybe you should work on having your kids eat healthier food while they're younger so they do not have this same issue when they are adults. When I was growing up, we ate what was given to us, my mom didn't make 3 separate meals for each child or something separate for my dad.

As for the meal plan thing if you think it'll help you succeed and get your eating where it needs to be and help you find recipes then go for it, try it for a month or two and see if you like it or see any differences.