What's the point of...

Options
zcb94
zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
"take with food" meds? The meds themselves serve their purposes, but I hate having to center my calorie intake around them. I think...no, I KNOW, that that's a big part of why the weight isn't coming off now as fast as it did when I joined. I mean, I'm okay with the fact that they say that because certain meds will mess with your stomach if you fast while on them, but there's gotta be a way to prevent those effects w/out having to ingest a single unwanted calorie. Thoughts?

Replies

• poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    It probably is to protect your stomach. With a little planning you should be able to work the med schedule into your meal routine.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    If its to protect your stomach, it makes sense, I wouldnt question it if its Doctor's orders
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I just take them with a meal I was going to eat anyway.

The "take with food" pills often either can cause vomiting if taken alone, or need to digest slower than their coating allows them to. Like, for the medicine to work properly it should be digested more slowly (and that's where the food helps).
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My husband has a couple of medications that has to be taken with food. I had to explain to him, that doesn't mean eat a full blown meal. Maybe a couple of saltine crackers. When the doctor found out he was eating a HUGE snack, he told him eat nothing more than a dry piece of toast.

To me, it's worth the extra few calories, versus the stomach problems that could come without taking meds with food.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    "take with food" meds? The meds themselves serve their purposes, but I hate having to center my calorie intake around them. I think...no, I KNOW, that that's a big part of why the weight isn't coming off now as fast as it did when I joined. I mean, I'm okay with the fact that they say that because certain meds will mess with your stomach if you fast while on them, but there's gotta be a way to prevent those effects w/out having to ingest a single unwanted calorie. Thoughts?

I never thought I would be the one to carry a pill minder. But I take an iron pill everyday (Dr's orders). So, I bring my pill box (bright red) to work on Monday & place it on my desk. That way I take my iron at lunch time.....Monday thru Friday. I'm not so consistent on weekends.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You should discuss this with the pharmacist.
  • jenniferhanisch5
    jenniferhanisch5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Usually it is to prevent stomach problems, especially with NSAIDs, others like antibiotics can cause more nausea/vomiting if taken on an empty stomach. A half cup of milk would be plenty in these situations
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried taking them before bed without a meal? I have a few medications that I take at night because they make me nauseous with or without food and I sleep off the crappy feeling. I don't see a problem unless they are required to be taken during a certain time of day.
  • ANTlSOClAL
    Options
    Depends on the medicine...

Food is processed in the stomach a while and the med would have time to dissolve properly if a pill. It could be to lessen side effects, ensure the pill gets absorbed properly, or to keep the med from acting on the stomach.
  • thateffortgirl
    thateffortgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse, and when meds are taken on an empty stomach it can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gastric burning, and even ulcers. The food is mainly used to help the medication absorb, to coat the stomach. You can take it with fruit, vegitables, or even a glass of milk. All these are foods that will boost your nutritional support as well as prove the purpose of your meds... I hope this helps.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse, and when meds are taken on an empty stomach it can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gastric burning, and even ulcers. The food is mainly used to help the medication absorb, to coat the stomach. You can take it with fruit, vegitables, or even a glass of milk. All these are foods that will boost your nutritional support as well as prove the purpose of your meds... I hope this helps.

Hm. Makes sense. I might have to try the just-milk idea if a dose time ever goes too far after a meal. Otherwise, I take it with (and eat extra-big meal to cover my guts, alas extra cals.). I just wish all meds didn't exist as "take w/ food."