Do you count...

Options
....cleaning in your exercise? I do not but have seen several people use it as their quota for the day. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Options
    I don't. I only count actual working out such as cardio, weights etc. as my exercising.
  • angelmuss
    Options
    I have once. I don' think that I am going to tho. I don't think I really work up my heart rate that much! I just figure if I do...great .. that is extra!
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can count cleaning as part of exercise. Just type it in, and how long. It will give you calories burned.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Deep cleaning, yes. This is a three or more hour commitment that kicks my @ss.

Charmagne
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Only when I do a deep clean. Not for normal cleaning days.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't count them. Just think of it as a little bonus, but I have never really got my heart rate up enough to burn calories.
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i do. =) but i have to go up and down stairs carring loads of laundry vacumes carpet cleaners and such.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I only do if I'm doing something vigorous that will get my heart rate up and make me sweat like scrubbing floors or the dreaded bathroom cleaning.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Only when I do a deep clean. Not for normal cleaning days.

Ditto. Only something that is way above and beyond what I normally do.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just my thought, the calories burned for cleaning are severely overinflated on this site. I have a hrm that I use for workouts so I know that I am not burning anything like what it says on this site. Although, if you wanted to wear your hrm, you can adjust the calories burned for yourself. It's doable.
  • emilyrspurgin
    emilyrspurgin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have before but don't think its an awesome idea because I think that is part of the base calories myftnesspal gives me to eat everyday knowing I will burn it off doing daily life.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Charmagne

Me too. Only when I am doing bathrooms, cleaning out closets, vacuuming, mopping, carrying lots of stuff.....etc. I stopped counting light cleaning about a week in. I felt like I was cheating. :embarassed:
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I do when I am actually cleaning not just picking up. I also tend to dance around with the vacume and cleaning supplies so I break a good sweat! If I am sore from it the next day, which I am, why not!?! they call that multi-tasking!
  • vaavamom1
    vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i do not ,i count only the real workouts i do ...:happy:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I probably could since house cleaning is NOT a part of my normal daily activity but I only count focused exercise.

I guess if I was to do something that took some muscle effort - say scrubbing the shower/bath or getting on my hands and knees and scrubbing a floor I would count that. Hmmmm...I think I know what I'm doing this weekend now.
  • dars069
    dars069 Posts: 12
    Options
    only if I'm vacuuming the entire house (including the stairs), thoroughly cleaning the bathroom, or cutting the grass
  • blogger79
    Options
    I only count about 3 hours of cleaning on days when I work at a busy Bistro..

I work full time Mon - Fri at a desk job and when I created my account I chose sedentary.. When i pick-up shifts at the Bistro and am on my feet for 8 hours making coffee, cleaning, filling, cleaning tables and bustling around (I am a FAST walker.. I don't mosey along) I count that as 3 hours of cleaning.. I don't want to get too overinflated but I figure it's a lot more calorie burn than sitting at my desk during the week!
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Charmagne

Me too. Only when I am doing bathrooms, cleaning out closets, vacuuming, mopping, carrying lots of stuff.....etc. I stopped counting light cleaning about a week in. I felt like I was cheating. :embarassed:

I agree that counting cleaning does feel like cheating - don't think I've ever worked up a sweat cleaning
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    This post totally motivated me to do a deep clean of my house. I spent 3 hours doing heavy cleaning, logged 70 minutes. Compromise!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Today, yes. It's "Inlaws Visiting from Out of State" cleaning. It only happens once a year or so, since we usually visit them. And I'm having a double birthday party for my husband and FIL on Saturday, with the rest of my family over. It's turbo-power-cleaning.