Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Heart Rate Spikes After Exercise

Hello everyone. Let me start off with saying that this is my first post in the community so I hope I am starting in the right place. For the past few weeks, my heart rate has spiked up to 100-120 bpm after exercise. This takes place anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour and a half after exercising. It can last up to an hour and a half. I do have atrial fibrillation and have brought this to the attention of my cardiologists and GP. Neither seemed worried about it and told me to just gone on about my day. The cardiologists said I could be having small episodes. I think the main reason they aren't worried is because I feel fine, minus a slight headache every once in a while, and I am having an ablation procedure in a few weeks.

I guess I really want to know if anyone has experienced the same or similar things, and if so, do you have any suggestions. Should I be worried? I have lost 40 odd pounds with "diet" and exercise. Cutting out exercise doesn't seem like a good option, yet it seems like the only thing sometimes. I just don't want something bad to happen because of this. If anyone has suggestions, I would be very grateful. So you get an idea, I do a 25-30 minute walk right now. The docs want me to slowly add other things in soon. It just doesn't seem like a good idea at this point.

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Welcome to the boards :-)

I can't give any expert advice other than if you are worried about it demand your physicians take you serious.

Anyway, in my case I have unusually low blood pressure and a very low resting heart rate ( and not because I'm an athlete) so there have been times after exercise that my heart would race or my heart rate would be higher than normal for me. I have found it usually happens when I have not properly hydrated after exercising. Do you drink enough fluids as well as make sure you replenish your electrolytes?
  • Welcome to the boards :-)

I can't give any expert advice other than if you are worried about it demand your physicians take you serious.

Anyway, in my case I have unusually low blood pressure and a very low resting heart rate ( and not because I'm an athlete) so there have been times after exercise that my heart would race or my heart rate would be higher than normal for me. I have found it usually happens when I have not properly hydrated after exercising. Do you drink enough fluids as well as make sure you replenish your electrolytes?

I will say that my docs did a pretty thorough check on me and came to the conclusion that there wasn't anything to worry about. As far as hydration, I exercise after I get up in the morning so I drink around 20oz of water in the morning and close to another 20 when I finish. Maybe I need more? Honestly, I am really not sure about the electrolytes and didn't really think about it until you mentioned it.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    I'm suprised they didn't order up a stress test.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Welcome to the boards :-)

I will say that my docs did a pretty thorough check on me and came to the conclusion that there wasn't anything to worry about. As far as hydration, I exercise after I get up in the morning so I drink around 20oz of water in the morning and close to another 20 when I finish. Maybe I need more? Honestly, I am really not sure about the electrolytes and didn't really think about it until you mentioned it.

20 oz is just a sip to me, lol. I sweat a lot and I dehydrate easy. I know I'm very dehydrated when I wake up in the morning so 20oz wouldn't be enough for me. Everyone is different though, but you could try more water. Because of the sweating I pay attention to replacing electrolytes, especially potassium (bananas, avocados) and magnesium (various seeds) etc. It couldn't hurt to try and see if it helps you :)
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    I have a history of v-tach. My cardiologist has basically said I may "exercise as tolerated." I always make sure to wear my HRM just so I can monitor it. Generally while I am exercising my HR is elevated as I would expect it to be and I can tell that the rhythm is normal. The only times I have felt it be a dysfunctional rhythm has been after I was done with the actual exercise itself... cooling down or stretching. Not sure why that is- I've gotten up to 234 just stretching. It hasn't stayed that high for longer than a couple of minutes and the doc doesn't seemed concerned as long as it isn't sustained. I keep an eye on it because it makes me feel better, but I figure he's the doctor if I needed to worry, he would have told me to.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Not much advice but buy a Blood pressure machine, take your pressure when your spikes
    happens and take notes : dates, hour, blood pressure how many minutes since workouts

next time you see your doctor hand him over your notes and he will be more able advise
    you if you need medication or to go a little smoother on your workouts. as long as you feel
    fine you don't have to do anything for now.

by the way normal blood pressure for a normal human being (I don't know for an athlete really...) is

100-140
    60 - 90
  • Not much advice but buy a Blood pressure machine, take your pressure when your spikes
    happens and take notes : dates, hour, blood pressure how many minutes since workouts

next time you see your doctor hand him over your notes and he will be more able advise
    you if you need medication or to go a little smoother on your workouts. as long as you feel
    fine you don't have to do anything for now.

by the way normal blood pressure for a normal human being (I don't know for an athlete really...) is

100-140
    60 - 90

That is the funny thing. My BP is normal every time. Only once did it fall under "pre hypertension". I think that was the final thing that they had me check. I had an episode today and my BP was 112/70. But thanks for the recommendation. Maybe there is an electrolyte issue.