Why did I gain and when will it go down?

Options
So I eat around 1100-1250 because i eat lot low calorie foods but for past 2-3 days ive been slacking eating wise so cheat days and i went from 107.4 to 109.2 and im 5'1.5" btw so this is healthy weight but like my goal is 106.0 and like ive been starting to exercise more again i couldnt do too much last week cause my friend was in town. Why did i gain? Will it go down?

Replies

• alyssamaryw
    Options
    You're not eating enough.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    With so little to lose you really should be eating more. That aside, I can fluctuate several pounds between even just the morning and evening depending on factors like sodium intake and hormones.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    Its more than likely water weight, you are eating more salty foods and retaining water.
  • Nappingcat97
    Nappingcat97 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In order to gain 1.8 pounds in three days you would have to have a net increase of 2100 calories. That's not impossible, but it sounds pretty likely. Stop weighing yourself more than once a week; it will break you, as there are too many day-to-day variables.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You seem to answer your own question within your opening post. Don't worry about it, it'll normalise when your schedule does.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate by 5 pounds a day because of water weight. Don't focus on your results over a couple day span, even a whole week is to short. Look at the big picture (at least 2-3 weeks back).
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

This.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

This is a very generic and potentially dangerous response because it assumes the OP has no medical issues, that the OP is accurately tracking and not under supervised care. Don't get me wrong, if the OP is active and is 21, she can probably eat more calories, especially if she wants to be lean and fit, but we need more details before you can even consider your answer to be true.

OP, it's water weight. It's normal.
  • egirl68
    egirl68 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

This is a very generic and potentially dangerous response because it assumes the OP has no medical issues, that the OP is accurately tracking and not under supervised care. Don't get me wrong, if the OP is active and is 21, she can probably eat more calories, especially if she wants to be lean and fit, but we need more details before you can even consider your answer to be true.

So how long until it goes down? And what should i be doing to help it
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

It will go away on its own, don't try anything radical to force it. Continue to diet and exercise as you usually would. If you're really desperate, try cutting back your sodium intake, that may help
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Your body is no different than the tides of the sea.. there are high and low times. And depending on how much you exercise, total sodium content and amount of carbs you eat, and TOM, these things will occur. Start to look at weigh over 6 weeks and stay off the scale if you get bothered by a daily weigh in.
  • smokeyser
    Options

It sounds backwards, but you get rid of water weight by drinking more water. Cutting back on salt might help too.
  • egirl68
    Options

It sounds backwards, but you get rid of water weight by drinking more water. Cutting back on salt might help too.

hi so i did go down to 107.6 last sunday i just woke up and felt better but im back to 109.2 i dont get it like i have been doing squats still i dont get it
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It's almost certainly still water weight
    Why?
    time of month
    a bit of constipation
    too much sodium
    richer food than usual might be digesting slowly
    new exercise routine that means your muscles are holding on to water as they recover from feeling abused
    and my personal favorite answer: because zebras have stripes (ie, it just happens sometimes)

Drink plenty of water, eat and exercise like you normally would, and try not to stress about it. If your weight *keeps* creeping up over several weeks, you'll need to evaluate how carefully you're monitoring your calories, but this sounds like random water weight.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The real question is why you're weighing yourself so often and fretting about small gains or losses. Either weigh daily and track your weight on a graph so that you can see the trend (in which case you focus on the trend) OR weigh yourself no more often than weekly. You'll have a better picture of whether in fact you are gaining or losing. The daily fluxuations are ridiculous and not worth fretting about.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's hard to understand what you're saying, but I am going to answer that you can't have really gained fat. You've gained water - probably from too much sodium intake.

If you're exercising, you need to log that exercise and NET your calorie goals or you won't be able to sustain a healthy weight - whatever you decide that is.
  • egirl68
    Options
    It's almost certainly still water weight
    Why?
    time of month
    a bit of constipation
    too much sodium
    richer food than usual might be digesting slowly
    new exercise routine that means your muscles are holding on to water as they recover from feeling abused
    and my personal favorite answer: because zebras have stripes (ie, it just happens sometimes)

Drink plenty of water, eat and exercise like you normally would, and try not to stress about it. If your weight *keeps* creeping up over several weeks, you'll need to evaluate how carefully you're monitoring your calories, but this sounds like random water weight.

THANK YOU! ok well ik its not time of month for sure and i drink lot diet soda but thats norm for me though ive been snacking on pretzels lot past 2 weeks or so and i started the more squats and lunges and drive by inner thighs
    so how long until you think it would go down if i drink more water and not eat pretzels or diet sodas?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's water retention, don't worry bout it.
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! ok well ik its not time of month for sure and i drink lot diet soda but thats norm for me though ive been snacking on pretzels lot past 2 weeks or so and i started the more squats and lunges and drive by inner thighs
    so how long until you think it would go down if i drink more water and not eat pretzels or diet sodas?

1 day, 17 hours, 33 minutes and 9 seconds.

Actually, I have no idea and neither does anyone else. I hate to see you get this freaked out about less than 2 pounds. The truth is, weight fluctuates. It just does.