which weight lifting is most effective

Options
Hi, I am new to all this, Was wondering if people think it is better to do a really heavy weight and a few reps or if it is better to have a lighter weight and do alot more reps

Thanks

Replies

• iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal. :wink:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in strength or size?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal. :wink:

You beat me to the punch ... that was my answer!
  • Jclifford253
    Options
    It completely depends on what your goals are. If you want to get stronger and larger muscles lift heavy and fewer reps. If you want to tone then go lighter more reps. Larger muscles burn more calories.:happy:
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    if you're new to lifting, I'd say most important is to get the correct form
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    Obviously start with lighter weights and learn proper form.

Now this is where people get things wrong. Lighter weights more reps does not equal toning/cutting/fat loss. The truth behind lighter weights with more reps is to build muscular endurance. The typical range for muscular endurance is using less that 60% of your 1 RM with reps that range from 12 and higher.

The next range is typically associated with hypertrophy (increasing muscle size) which is using from 60% to roughly 79% of your 1 RM. The rep range for this is usually 8-12 with 3-4 sets, and this is where you see people who are trying to bulk keep their workouts.

Next you have strength with is using 80-100% of your 1 RM. This is range improves strength. The rep range for this is anywhere from 1-5 with 4-10 sets.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options