Is it okay that I'm eating so little?

Options
I'm 21 years old, 5'1, currently 158 pounds. I've always been used to eating well over 2,000 calories per day, and I've always eaten horrible foods. Junk foods, soda, bad carbs, ect. I felt like I was literally addicted to food and it was out of control. No matter how badly I wanted to lose weight, I just couldn't stop eating and my weight kept going up, up, up until I got here. I would cry about my weight while I was eating and bullying myself.

This month I was put on a medication for migraines called Topamax. I've been on it for 2 weeks and my life is changing. My doctor didn't mention this as a side effect, but I hardly eat. Not because I'm trying to stop eating or because I want to stop eating, but because I don't feel the need to binge eat and I don't think about food any longer. I'm literally never hungry. I eat about 800 calories a day and then I am full for the rest of the day. I used to never exercise, and now I do at least half an hour of cardio per day. All soda tastes flat to me now and I only drink water. It's almost like it's a small miracle. I'm not using this medication as a "magic" pill because that's not what I got on it for, but I'm continuing to exercise and eat when I am hungry. When I do eat, I eat healthy. I have not had potato chips, mayonnaise, soda or fried food in over a week (these all used to be my favorites.)

My question is, if I only eat 700 to 900 calories a day, is that okay? I really do need to lose weight for my health and as long as I'm eating that amount and exercising and drinking water, is there anything wrong with that? I've always felt huge and if I could take this opportunity to better myself and lose weight while forming healthier habits I feel as though I should take it.

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    That's not enough. Hunger cues are not a good indicator of whether or not you're eating enough and just because you eat "healthy" it doesn't mean you're getting everything your body needs.

Your body is like a machine. It functions on a set number of calories. Picking nutrient dense foods is great but you still need a set amount for your body to function properly. I'm 5'3.5" and started my weight loss at 170 lbs, so I know the feeling. The best thing I did for myself was take it slow, learn how to moderate those foods I enjoy into my diet, I ate ice cream, cookies, pizza etc along with fruita, vegetables and lean means taking up the majority of my diet. It taught me how to fit things I enjoy in without overdoing it.

Another reason to not race is losing too quickly can lead to muscle loss. Muscle is what helps you look leaner. If you lose muscle along with fat, the end results are less than ideal.

Highly suggest picking up a resistance training program, something like a barbell routine, ideally to help maintain muscle. Pick a sustainable deficit.

Even if it means eating peanut butter and ice cream up to goal, I would most definitely up your intake until you're losing about 1 lb a weekish.
  • Ava9710
    Ava9710 Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't think it's bad, if you're not hungry you shouldn't force yourself to eat. I'm curious tho, what is the name of the migraine medicine?
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hunger cues, especially when they are being affected by a medication, are not always the best indicator of what your intake should be. For instance there are others who are put on medications that make their appetite go out of control (some psychiatric medications and immunosuppressants for example), but that does not mean it is necessarily healthy for them to be eating that way. Your body needs energy (kilocalories) to function properly. No calories are not the devil, they are just a UNIT OF ENERGY. There are many people on here who advocate eating more than 1200 calories a day in order to maintain muscle and promote a sustainable and healthy weight loss. But pretty much everyone agrees you need to stick to 1200 as an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. This will ensure you are getting a minimum level of nutrition and will prevent you from losing muscle and shutting down your metabolism. Try to eat healthily and keep up your exercise routine. If you are struggling to meet 1200 I recommend taking nutritional shakes like ensure or glucerna to get in the nutrients and energy you need. Dark chocolate, nuts, and coconut oil are also healthy but very concentrated sources of calories.
  • skiesofsunshine
    skiesofsunshine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The medicine is called Topamax in response to a reply.

And thank you for all of the advice. For another question, as a snack I want to eat raw fruits and vegetables.
    They are very nutritious but still very low in calories.

Can I eat those or do I have to pretty much eat until I hit 1200?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods like peanut butter or avocados or even ice cream. As long as you're hitting the proper macro and micro goals, fill the rest of your calorie goal with whatever you want!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Calories are still a unit of energy, so yes I'd aim to meet your calories. What about celery and some peanut butter? Ice cream? Can never go wrong with a little ice cream.
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are awesome...just try adding some extra energy and nutrients by smearing some nut butter on your banana or celery, having a slice of cheddar cheese with your apple, dipping your carrot sticks in hummus, marinating your cherry tomatoes in some olive oil and vinegar. Dried fruit and nut trail mix is also a great option.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am on Topamax and experienced the same side effect (along with the joys of parathesia! :grumble: ). In my case, it didn't last and I was back to eating regularly after maybe 2 months. I would try to keep eating healthy and keep on track with your calories in a healthy lifestyle so that if the same happens to you it isn't a huge increase in cals that could hurt your goals.

All those other suggestions for nutrient dense foods to increase your cals in smaller portions--also, protein shakes with whole milk could add some cals!

Good luck!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 years old, 5'1, currently 158 pounds. I've always been used to eating well over 2,000 calories per day, and I've always eaten horrible foods. Junk foods, soda, bad carbs, ect. I felt like I was literally addicted to food and it was out of control. No matter how badly I wanted to lose weight, I just couldn't stop eating and my weight kept going up, up, up until I got here. I would cry about my weight while I was eating and bullying myself.

This month I was put on a medication for migraines called Topamax. I've been on it for 2 weeks and my life is changing. My doctor didn't mention this as a side effect, but I hardly eat. Not because I'm trying to stop eating or because I want to stop eating, but because I don't feel the need to binge eat and I don't think about food any longer. I'm literally never hungry. I eat about 800 calories a day and then I am full for the rest of the day. I used to never exercise, and now I do at least half an hour of cardio per day. All soda tastes flat to me now and I only drink water. It's almost like it's a small miracle. I'm not using this medication as a "magic" pill because that's not what I got on it for, but I'm continuing to exercise and eat when I am hungry. When I do eat, I eat healthy. I have not had potato chips, mayonnaise, soda or fried food in over a week (these all used to be my favorites.)

My question is, if I only eat 700 to 900 calories a day, is that okay? I really do need to lose weight for my health and as long as I'm eating that amount and exercising and drinking water, is there anything wrong with that? I've always felt huge and if I could take this opportunity to better myself and lose weight while forming healthier habits I feel as though I should take it.

Wow, there are a lot of side effects with Topamax http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-6019-topiramate+-+oral.aspx?drugid=14494&drugname=topamax+oral&pagenumber=6 One of the side effects is weight loss so likely due to appetite suppression. I would discuss this with your doctor. Perhaps there is another drug that will lessen the migraines without all of the side effects. In the meantime, try eating higher fat foods and perhaps add in something like ice cream or protein shakes.
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for my severe migraines a few years ago and lost 15lbs in less than 2 months because I couldn't eat. I could only hold down smoothies and soup, nothing else would stay down. At the time I was morbidly obese so I welcomed the change, and like you, it made soda taste... really awful so I was able to give it up.

Of course, less than 2 months on the medicine I started seeing flashbulbs and my doctor yanked me off the medicine so fast my head spun. She told me there was pressure building behind my eye and I could go blind. I gained all the weight back, plus more. So, yeah, don't get excited. I also understand it eventually regulates and you will get your appetite back.

In the interim, I agree with everyone else. Find a high calorie food/drink you can stomach and get AT LEAST your BMR.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yeah not a good idea at all. You can't get the nutrition you need on that. With Topamax, odds are your appetite will increase again once you are used to the med anyway. Do the best you can for now, fill in with higher calorie foods or liquid meal replacements if needed. I couldn't eat for awhile on that med due to nausea from it and Boost was a huge help.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad, if you're not hungry you shouldn't force yourself to eat. I'm curious tho, what is the name of the migraine medicine?

This is terrible advice. OP, you need to eat...
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Did you discuss your side effects with the prescribing doctor? It is very useful to give this kind of feedback. At 21 you are rather resilient. Next time you may be in a state of health where dropping that kind of calories is really bad.

Others have given better suggestions than i could about upping he calories while still eating healthy. Now is a great opportunity to wean yourself off the pizza, junk food, and soft drinks.
  • _mestrada
    Options
    What dosage are you on?