what exactly are dead lifts??

Options
Hi,

I'm sorry if I sound stupid but how do u do dead lifts?
I've heard different things- you have weights on the floor, you pick them up to your waist, raise them over your head, back to waist, and then to the floor. I've also heard someone say that you just stand bent over with weights in your hand and you pull them back.
I don't know if either of these are right, but i'd like to know the right way. Thanks.

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    youtube has tons of videos :blushing:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry if I sound stupid but how do u do dead lifts?
    I've heard different things- you have weights on the floor, you pick them up to your waist, raise them over your head, back to waist, and then to the floor. I've also heard someone say that you just stand bent over with weights in your hand and you pull them back.
    I don't know if either of these are right, but i'd like to know the right way. Thanks.

also, what you describe are not deadlifts
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my form for these right now! I hurt my back 1.5 weeks ago doing them and am trying to let that heal/rest without losing momentum. I need to get back to trying them, and will lower the weight when I try,

My recommendation is to start with a nice low weight until you're comfortable your form is solid! Don't do what I did!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts are...a miracle. I don't know what I'd do without them. They are really smoothing out the back of my legs.

Look up a video or get a trainer. I'm no professional and don't know how to put it into words.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you're describing a clean and press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlift
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    youtube has tons of videos :blushing:

She can't use YouTube because she doesn't have Internet access.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    That's right, a deadlift goes over your head.

Wait, no, that's wrong.
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    thank you all.

I looked up some video on youtube and saw some variations. I don't have access to a real gym, but I did see one gal do the dead lifts with regular hand weights. can't wait to try them tomorrow. :smile:
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with your back and your knees when you start lifting heavy!.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're doing deadlifts with dumbbells, a good way to approximate the beginning is to start with the weights on the outside of feet, not in front of your feet like with the barbell.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    google broke today?