Does Your Spouse Support your Lifestyle Change into Weight L

Options
Just curious to know if your spouse supports your decision into weight loss? Do they share the same problems as you or is weight no issue for him or her? What does he or she do that makes you feel good or bad when weight loss is concerned?

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes, we both started using this site on 3/27/10. We both reached our goals and didn't realize how 'heavy' we were before, until looking back at pictures.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yup. My Mr. Man is on here too.
  • Nelle914
    Nelle914 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My fiance has no problems with weight at all. He is the perfect weight, but he is super supportive of my decision to lose weight. He tells me everyday how beautiful I am and that I don't need to change at all. He knows that losing weight is really important to me though and he helps me out with it a lot. He doesn't mind that I really don't want a lot of food that I shouldn't eat in the house so he doesn't bring it into the house. And he makes me really healthy meals for dinner and eats them too to support me.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    When I first started, my husband was NOT supportive of my decision to get healthy. His words were "You are beautiful just as you are". Sweet, yes, but not what I wanted to hear!

Then right before Thanksgiving, he changed his mind. He saw how much I was struggling without him supporting me, how depressed I was about my weight, how I desperately needed a change...and he decided that he would help me by joining MFP with me.

Since joining MFP in November, my husband has lost 19 lbs (me and me 9 lbs). Without his support, I know it would be much harder...especially since he motivates me to exercise.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive. He has even started doing the program on his phone. He has started exercising too. His thing is he is very busy and hard for him to be consistent and he doesn't plan ahead. I could do that for him, but in the past I have tried and when it doesn't work I get frusrated that all my effort went to waste. I am better if I plan for myself and let him do the same.

breakfast and dinner are ok together. He just works long days and if he doesn't have time for lunch he comes home and forages for food like a bear.
  • skynyrdchick
    Options
    My Husband isn't using this site, but he is losing weight as well. He didn't even realize it at first I don't think (as in that I am preparing meals completely different now). I made him weigh this morning and he's already lost 10 pounds!
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    my other half is the reason why im here.. he managed a fair bit of weight on his own and then found this site. he loved it and then told me about it
    we do most of it together - go to the gym, do the shopping so we know what we are buying and what meals we want to eat and we talk about the issues we have together..
    im not sure i could have done this on my own - dont get me wrong this site is fab and i have some good support people on here but off the site its nice to have a little birdie on my shoulder reminding me about my goals lol
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My other half has been hugely supportive of my weightloss and is a great training partner. But he's very easy, in the sense that he doesn't have a weight problem, is very active, doesn't eat junk. He's known me at my leanest and my heaviest and I have never doubted his affections either way.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My hubby doesn't have any weight issues and was very indifferent to my attempt at losing weight. He also has a mother who has been a member of TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) for oh, 20- years? and she hasn't lost a pound. I don't think he believed I could/would actually do it.

Then he started seeing the benefits of my weight loss - especially the more energy one :)

He's been on board and supporting me ever since!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My husband is too skinny, if anything! So we do not share the same goals. However, he supports me 100% in whatever I want to do. He tells me I look great to him no matter what, but if I'm doing this for me then I should go for it! He also offers to help me in whatever way I might need him. He's great!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    He's supportive of my fitness goals, but thinks my weight is just fine. I don't really have a problem with my weight, either, just the few too many smushy bits that aren't supposed to be smushy.

He will be joining me in eating healthier and exercising more, but his work is having a weight loss challenge, and he doesn't want to start losing until the contest begins. :laugh:
  • snerk
    snerk Posts: 51
    Options
    My husband fully supports me!! We both joined the gym, and he's starting to watch what he's eating now too.. I got him onto MFP as well. The only thing i find annoying about him getting all healthy..is when he hijacks my healthy snacks! haha
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I am not married but I do have a boyfriend. He loves me exactly the way I am and doesn't see anything that needs to be changed, he's never said anything negative about my body and he even looked a little sad when I revealed what I've been doing on here. He recently lost 40lbs in about a month just by cutting back the quanity of junk he ate and adding in some soccer, walking, and Kinect for XBox. Lots of cardio, but no strength training. He doesn't see the point in cutting out all "bad" foods cuz you just gain all the weight back the second you go off it-which is pretty much true! But I'm trying to get him to see this as a lifestyle change with some wiggle room for goddies :)
  • dragonfirepride
    Options
    My hubby is pretty fit, already. He wants to GAIN weight, where I want to LOSE weight. He supports me 100% & tells me to lose weight for myself, no one else. He tells me he loves me regardless. He helps keep me motivated, too! Especially with my eating - because I get bored & want to eat. :P Although he could eat a horse & not gain a SINGLE pound.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    At first I think my wife thought I was crazy. Then I think she was a little upset that I was tracking every little thing I ate right down to the number of pretzels in a serving size. Then I think she got outright angry at me when she saw I lost 10 lbs.
    She signed up now too for MFP, but doesn't want to do the community. Me I need the accountability.
  • dragonfirepride
    Options
    My hubby is pretty fit, already. He wants to GAIN weight, where I want to LOSE weight. He supports me 100% & tells me to lose weight for myself, no one else. He tells me he loves me regardless. He helps keep me motivated, too! Especially with my eating - because I get bored & want to eat. :P Although he could eat a horse & not gain a SINGLE pound.
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    My husband is a Marine, and he does not have weight issues like I do. I swear, he has the highest metabolism in the world. It really frustrates me! He could eat two entire large meat-lover's pizzas and somehow loose 5 pounds!

While he does support me in my endeavors, he still snacks and eats as he usually does. He'll eat low-cal/low-fat meals that I make without any issues though. He even likes them most of the time. But, after dinner, he'll go raid the cabinets, fridge, etc... And then eat another entire plate of food!
  • usmcpatience
    Options

Sounds like our husband's are about exactly the same when it comes to this!
  • BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm WAY dependant on my husband for my self esteem, anyway! I can hardly get AIR without him. Thank God he supports me in this 100%. He joins me in eating lighter and he's lost 10 lbs! He wants to lose 10 more lbs and I think we'll that that together. BTW: He never said one word to me about my weight in the 13 years I have known him.
  • elfward
    elfward Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Sounds like our husband's are about exactly the same when it comes to this!

My boyfriend is exactly the same! Has a super metabolism and runs about 20 miles a week. He's being supportive though, especially in the exercise bit, although he has a habit of bringing bottles of wine home after work. And heads into the cupboard after dinner to load up on oatcakes and peanut butter. He says he hasn't seen a change in me yet, but then again neither have I (although I've lost 8lbs since Christmas!) I *think* my jeans are looser though...