Constantly Hungry

Options
Hi Guys. I've been on MFP for a while now and I've been very happy with the results. Recently, I decided to start trying some classes at my gym and turns out that I love spin classes. However, since I started taking them 4 times a week (in addition to doing my regular workout) I have found that I am constantly hungry. Since I work from home it's pretty easy to snack but snack well. I try to keep it to fruit/veggies/almonds/whole wheat carbs/peanut butter etc. I'm tracking it all but just curious if others have noticed increased or constant hunger after ramping up on workouts.

-LG

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Um, yes? If your activity level has increased, then you need to eat more food to fuel that activity. If you are constantly hungry, then you are not eating enough. Recalculate your TDEE for your new activity level, or if you are using MFP's calculations, eat back a portion of all your exercise calories, including the ones from your new spin classes.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Definitely. My usual low impact aerobics classes don't affect my appetite much but one week we had a substitute instructor who did all bodyweight/free weight exercises. I was constantly hungry for about three days after that. Increasing my protein and fat helped (I did go over on calories those days, but I figured I needed it), but if you're doing it four days a week you'll have to eat more overall.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys. I've been on MFP for a while now and I've been very happy with the results. Recently, I decided to start trying some classes at my gym and turns out that I love spin classes. However, since I started taking them 4 times a week (in addition to doing my regular workout) I have found that I am constantly hungry. Since I work from home it's pretty easy to snack but snack well. I try to keep it to fruit/veggies/almonds/whole wheat carbs/peanut butter etc. I'm tracking it all but just curious if others have noticed increased or constant hunger after ramping up on workouts.

-LG
    Oh yeah. For me especially with weight lifting. I pre-log everything so I don't go over.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

-LG

spin 4 times a week? dayyyuuuum.

Anyway when I started working out harder I was STARVING but now I'm on 1200 calories/day, working the same amount, and feel fine. I don't log weight training either so I only eat back my true cardio. I think your body gets used to it!
  • maddiepenko
    Options
    Hi LG,

There are many many reasons why you might feel constantly hungry. However, if you're only noticing it after you ramped up your workout routine then it might be that you're not eating enough or often enough, OR that you are dehydrated.

When your body is dehydrated it calls for water in the form of hunger pains...very similar to the ones you get when you're hungry for food. If you really are eating fruits/veggies/almonds/whole wheat carbs/peanut butter, then I can't see the constant hunger being a result of nutrition deficiencies.

One other possibility is your blood sugar. Do you eat refined sugar? Pasta? Bread? Coffee? Is your peanut butter made with sugar?

You are doing 4 spinning classes per week in addition to your regular routine. Depending on what exactly your regular routine is, maybe you're working out a little too much? Too much of anything ends up having negative outcomes. Just something to consider!

Hope this helps,
    xx Maddie
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! You can cut back on your exercise, that will help. There is no such thing as having to exercise every day of the week, or the insanity of doing it twice a day. Regular 3 to 4 times a week will keep you in great shape and well toned, and it will cut down on those hunger pangs.
  • thenewlg
    thenewlg Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everybody! It's always great to hear other people's advice and experiences.