Insulin dependent diabetic, Type 1

Options
Does anyone have any advice for me? I am 48 and need to lose around 150 pounds. I never had weight issues until I was diagnosed as Diabetic and put on insulin. At that time I weighed 129 pounds. I was always thin before that. I don't eat great quantities of food. I do, however, have a sweet tooth and like carbs. I only drink water 99% of the time. I do not exercise regularly enough. Exercise can be challenging because of blood sugar dropping, causing me to stop and take in sugar (OJ). My family wants to take a family vacation next summer and I CANNOT go where they want to go without a serious change. Any advice??
Thank you.

Replies

• reachrenhere
    reachrenhere Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think losing 100 lbs in a year is doable. That's what my game plan is for myself. That's about 2 lbs per week. If you have a lot to lose, you will likely lose more lbs than that per week right at first but then fewer as you get closer to your weight goal. I am a Type 2 Diabetic so I don't know if the ways to manage Type 1 are the same as mine. There are a ton of supportive people here though who have achieved great successes so I'm sure you will get a lot of great feedback and advice about how to get started. :flowerforyou:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice for me? I am 48 and need to lose around 150 pounds. I never had weight issues until I was diagnosed as Diabetic and put on insulin. At that time I weighed 129 pounds. I was always thin before that. I don't eat great quantities of food. I do, however, have a sweet tooth and like carbs. I only drink water 99% of the time. I do not exercise regularly enough. Exercise can be challenging because of blood sugar dropping, causing me to stop and take in sugar (OJ). My family wants to take a family vacation next summer and I CANNOT go where they want to go without a serious change. Any advice??
    Thank you.

I am confused. Are you focused on the vacation or on losing weight. Or both?
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am a 42 year old insulin dependent diabetic; diagnosed 7 years ago. I have lost about 60 pounds and I'm still working on losing some more. I workout 6 days a week. Running, biking, lifting weights, and swimming. I worked with a nutritionist/diabetes educator and learned how to manage my blood sugar for my workouts and ran my first full marathon earlier this year. I was not active when I was first diagnosed. I would suggest that you start walking to build your strength up and begin to get some of that weight off. Check your blood sugar before you go on your walk and adjust accordingly. You will want to eat a snack (healthy carbs) to raise your blood sugar so you won't go low when you are on your walk. It is a delicate balance, but you can learn how to do it. Feel free to add me as a friend. I am happy to help.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

Yes. Take baby steps & learn how to manage with low impact exercise, like walking.
    Smarties candies & glucose tabs are usually a better choice than OJ as I recall from the D boards I've read.

I would say to get a handle on your control first before attempting exercise & diet changes. You need to know how things will affect you so you can take precautions.

Here's a good forum to get your started: http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum

bloodsugar101.com also has some good info. The author of that site has LADA. Good luck & involve your doctor as well as your CDE in your endeavors :drinker:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    First, there is a group for type 1 diabetics on here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/232-type-1-juvenile-diabetics

Second, when were you diagnosed with diabetes? And do you really have type 1 (you do not make insulin)? If you are a type 1, you will understand the reason I ask is because there are a lot of type 2's that believe that they are a type 1 when they start taking insulin.

Third, as you know, type 1's gain weight. The treatment methods are improving, though. When I was first diagnosed in the mid 90's, treatment was MDI. Like most at the time, I was put on the static exchange diet. Over the next year, I doubled my weight and continued to gain since.

Fourth, losing weight is possible. Losing weight quickly is not realistic, though. It is possible to start shredding the pounds like everyone else (yes, I envy normal people who can just lose weight easily and act like it is difficult, but have no idea what it is like for us)... but shortly after that happens, you will have recurring severe hypoglycemic events. This will cause you to gain back that weight fairly quickly. Set a small goal (0.5 to 1 lbs. per week) and have patience - that is the only way it will work.

Fifth, try to treat hypoglycemia with glucose tablets. They have a fairly low calorie to carb ratio, and many diabetics find it difficult to over-treat with glucose tabs.

Sixth, are you on a pump or MDI? Do you have a CGM? I suggest joining the type 1 diabetic group. Also, send me a FR if you would like and I am willing to help. Honestly, a general forum topic here is not going to be very well tailored to your question.

ETA URL for MFP type 1 group.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    RodaRose why does it matter what her focus is?read her last sentence she states very clearly that she is wanting weight loss advice! If you are confused maybe you should reread instead of leaving an ignorant post. Smh!