Protein powder that won't bother my stomach?

Options
I feel like my protein powder is bothering my stomach, it's pea protein. I can't have any type of whey protein as I am severely lactose intolerant. Has anyone had luck just slowly raising the amount of protein powder they have, and that working out better, or just switching to a different type? FYI I don't want soy either.

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Lucky for you, 100% pure whey isolate protein is less than 1 percent lactose and almost never bothers people who are lactose intolerant.

Whey concentrate, on the other hand, can have quite a bit of lactose. Check the ingredients and choose wisely.
  • maddiepenko
    Options
    Hi,

I am sensitive to whey as well so I had started to use the Arbonne protein powder. It's 100% vegan, so maybe try that.

I don't really believe in protein powder anymore, so what I use instead is chia seeds. They are a complete protein, but they also have a bunch of other good stuffs in them like fibre, omega-3's and they help you stay hydrated as well! Perfect for a work out!!

Get some at your nearest health foods store, then mix two teaspoons into a large glass of water & stir on and off for a minute or so. I also add a squeeze of lemon for flavour. You'll see the seeds gelling up and that's when you know it's ready to drink.

Hope this helps!
    xx Maddie
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am sensitive to whey as well so I had started to use the Arbonne protein powder. It's 100% vegan, so maybe try that.

I don't really believe in protein powder anymore, so what I use instead is chia seeds. They are a complete protein, but they also have a bunch of other good stuffs in them like fibre, omega-3's and they help you stay hydrated as well! Perfect for a work out!!

Get some at your nearest health foods store, then mix two teaspoons into a large glass of water & stir on and off for a minute or so. I also add a squeeze of lemon for flavour. You'll see the seeds gelling up and that's when you know it's ready to drink.

Hope this helps!
    xx Maddie

1) how can a person "not believe" in protein powder? It exists. Demonstrable proof is everywhere; it's not the Easter Bunny or anything.

2) Protein powder is used as a...wait for it...protein supplement. An ounce of chia seeds has 12g carbs, 9g fats, and only 4g protein. Not really an adequate replacement, considering a serving of protein powder usually has half the carbs and fats and at least 5 times the protein.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I use rice protein powder.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Soy protein, pea protein, or egg based protein.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I can't use whey protein either - regardless of what kind or brand.

I use Jay Robb Egg White Protein. It's the only one that doesn't cause stomach upset or bloating for me. Tastes great, too.
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lucky for you, 100% pure whey isolate protein is less than 1 percent lactose and almost never bothers people who are lactose intolerant.

Whey concentrate, on the other hand, can have quite a bit of lactose. Check the ingredients and choose wisely.

except for the fact that even still - the whey can bother some people. i have had 100% whey isolate protein and I still get sick from it - and i'm not even severely lactose intolerant.

I use a soy protein.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life Raw Protein- vegan, gluten free, and no soy. The Chocolate Cacao is the only one I've tried, but I haven't had any stomach problems or digestive issues.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I dunno I'm afraid to try and be sick...