losing my mind?!

Options
since i started this journey in 5/2013, i have been open about my weight loss. i started a biggest loser competition at my work, i have posted here in the forums, i am happy to extend my support or knowledge or frustration with anyone that needs its.

lately, i have been getting really discouraged and it could be that i am being overly sensitive, but there are times where people feel that just because i opened up about my weight, they feel they can say anyhing.

just at work this morning, i recently ran into a woman that was in the biggest loser competition i started. she was telling me about a show where a woman had lost nearly 200 pounds. great, i thought, she is sharing inspiration. then she tells me i should consider the show because the woman used to have (this is the part where she touches my body) a stomach like i have. i smile, nod and tell her it is great something inspired her.

then i felt rage boiling within me.

did i open myself up for this? are people just brain-dead? am i being sensitive/annoyed because i only dropped .2 this week?

maybe the answer is all of the above. maybe i just needed to vent. maybe i should join that show.

all i know that is i needed to get this anger out or else i might have taken it out on some unsuspecting cupcakes and we all know that isn't very fair.

kick rocks, lady.

*mind you, she dropped out of the race. paid and never came back. did i tell her to sign up for the show? i should have said - oh, yeah. you shouldn't sign up for that show seeing as how you quit the biggest loser here. :)

Replies

• rebeccawesterfield5
    rebeccawesterfield5 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Rrrrrr, people can be such a**es! Sorry this happened, don't be discouraged! Be like a duck and let it roll right off and know that she is the quack!! :tongue:
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Tell her you saw a TV show where they taught how to do makeup and that she should try to get on one. Then touch her face and say, "one lady had a face like...yours."
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    She was wrong to insult you but where the hell did she think she got off touching your stomach?!:noway:

Up to you how far you want to take that, but frankly that could be reported to HR.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wow, I probably would have slapped her for touching me.
  • Andrewswife2011
    Andrewswife2011 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately some people like to try to make others feel bad because they are not happy with themselves. You are not being sensitive at all, she was out of line and frankly just not a nice person.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately some people like to try to make others feel bad because they are not happy with themselves. You are not being sensitive at all, she was out of line and frankly just not a nice person.

THIS. Remember this journey you are on is making you FEEL good on the inside. That is what matters the very most.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I think something like this seems to happen to all of us, and I don't think it's because of all the great work you've been doing to make your workplace a healthier place (which I'm completely impressed with). I had someone congratulate me on losing so much, and then ask with a curled lip if I'd "gone vegan or something". I'm not vegan, but I love vegan food, and I have a huge amount of respect for people who take the tough choices to live their lives according to their beliefs. That really annoyed me.

Some people seem to think if you experience a significant change in your appearance, it gives them the right to comment/touch, whereas it's not generally normal behavior in Western cultures. It was the same when I was pregnant. People thought it was perfectly OK to comment on my appearance, and I'm a private person who has never invited comments of a personal nature.

BTW. Congratulations on a great loss!! This week is a blip.
  • lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    JT: hahahahaha!
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i was just dying laughing at some of these.

thanks, everyone. i sincerely mean it.

as with my physical health, i have started working on my mental health. this means body acceptance/body love/body appreciation.

i have to love myself wherever i am at, while understanding that the work i do is for my health. not my looks. this is HARD, dude. people get so obsessed with looking thin that they lose sight of everything. yes, i want to be smaller, but that will happen with time. i have set goals like tennis and running versus wearing a size 0. so moments like these really sort of slap me back into the mindset that i am losing weight just to look pretty.

it is such a mind battle. the whole lot of it!
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that you opened yourself up to those comments when you made weight loss a public goal to your co-workers. I think everyone experiences that sense of (betrayal? being taken aback? unpleasant surprise?) when all of a sudden people think they can make any remark they choose about your weight, your food choices, or your fitness. I think this is especially true with women.

But if you don't talk about it, neither will they. If you don't make it a big deal, neither will they.
  • StrongHealthyPowerful
    StrongHealthyPowerful Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You’re not going crazy! It’s crazy how often people speak without thinking first. I deal with people in my job, and they can be so completely thoughtless. I can totally relate to that feeling of inner rage boiling up. Good job holding it in, though it might have served that lady right if you had gone off on her a bit. Just pity her though. Not only has she not followed through with healthy living as you have, but she also has no concept of personal boundaries and appropriate comments. Her life must be pretty tough if that’s a normal interaction for her! Haha

You are doing a great job, and I love that you’re working on having a healthy mentality as well as a healthy body. This is a constant battle for me as well. I often find myself getting caught up in what the scale says or how I look compared to other people, when I should really be celebrating that I can run farther than ever, or that my arms are getting stronger. You are doing a fantastic.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately dumb people are going to say and do dumb things. That says more about them than it does you. If anything I feel sorry for that lady, going through life being socially inept, lol. You're doing great! Try not to let it get you down.
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    if i am going to complain about the bad, i have to report the good - just to be fair.

walking in the this morning, a co-worker stated how great i looked. later, she came by my desk to ask me what the heck i was doing and stated "as someone that has lost weight before, i never got tired of hearing when people noticed. and i wouldn't say anything unless i really noticed - you look great."

you take the good with thebad. and you learn to appreciate the good more than you allow the bad to sting. period.
  • ANTlSOClAL
    Options
    Biggest Loser competitions at work are for money? Perhaps she was trying to get you to drop out? Competition sometimes brings out the worst in people.
  • saraj9999
    Options
    I am not trying to criticize, as in the moment I would have probably handled this situation the same way you did. I think you should have a follow up conversation with this lady though. Let her know how uncomfortable it made you. I am not one to say that we have to run to HR for every little thing. I think that is ridiculous and has led to the current state we live in where no one is actually able to talk disagreements through and solve them. If you were hurt, tell her. If the touching was inappropriate and unwanted, tell her. Not red faced and screaming like a crazy person, but when you can be calm and rational and communicate sensibly. For me, that would be a few days from now, probably :)

We all have office idiots, but in some way, I think we are all a little guilty of taking the easy way out and complaining, but not confronting. This transformation we are on, it is on the inside as well as the outside. You are worth standing up for. Your point of view and your feelings matter. No one should be allowed to be cruel to you through ignorance or intention without having to face the fact that they crossed a line.

I always (eventually) appreciate it when someone brings my insensitive behavior to my attention. I don't want to be that person, but I can't always see the impact of what I say and do objectively.

Best of luck and keep up your excellent work!
  • JoJoVan96
    JoJoVan96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'll be blunt-that totally sounds like b**ch move to make you feel bad about yourself. If you're still continuing on your weight loss journey and she's either quit or stalled, she may be saying things to make herself feel better. Just ignore it-you know you're doing the right thing for you, and you're still making progress. Ignore the negativity!! <3
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Wanted to say sorry to hear that this happened to you. As many others have noticed the strange human phenomenon that weight loss invites others to have an opinion and voice it.

Maybe it is the case that due to you heavy involvement with the 'biggest loser' comp at work, your openness about your own 'journey', makes others feel that your are a person that they can come and share with. Now that's great....if it's what you want. You obviously have had great success. Congratulations on your loss, that is a remarkable achievement, but along with the positive comments and people, you are also open to others, who like this lady may cross boundaries and be less than supportive or complimentary.

You have probably hit the nail on the head when you mention that she dropped out the competition....maybe this way of covering her own discomfort and failure to change by turning it back on to you.

Take heart from the other lady's comments and your own great strides in looking after your health and try to let this go.

Hope you have a wonderful week.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hate you had to deal with this from this awful, inconsiderate, rude, ignorant woman. The next time she comes around you, beware of her. If you can, maybe prepare some things in your head to say to her the next time she tries something so inappropriate. She definitely needs to know that her behavior is unacceptable. There's also no telling how many other people she has hurt in different ways. Don't bite your tongue with her if she comes around you again.

You are really doing well with your weight loss journey and I really love how your main concern is your health. Your focus is definitely in the right place. Looks come and go. But, health keeps us living and gives us a chance to be around longer.

Good job on trying to get people into losing weight at work. All you can do is try to help others. What they do with it is up to them.

Keep on your path like you've been doing. Be glad that you don't have to live with that horrible woman. Keep your focus on your health and keep striding. It is so worth it.
  • maddiepenko
    Options
    Hi Pattycakes80,

I think you handled the situation very well. Aggression breeds aggression, so kudos for taking the high road!

This is the type of situation where using your emotional intelligence will serve you best. You have every right to feel angry, but you don't necessarily have to if you don't want to. You can actually control your feelings!

Here's how it works:

Fact: Your feelings are largely automatic reactions to your thoughts
    Hypothesis: If you can control your thoughts, then you can control your feelings.

In a situation like this where you are especially vulnerable, the best thing to do is to reframe your thoughts to control your feelings about what happened... so you don't walk around annoyed and hurt in your vulnerable state.

In this scenario, you're instant thoughts might have been something like this: "wow this lady is RUDE" or "um, excuse me?" or "what the [expletive] did she just say?!"
    Then, naturally, that was followed up with feelings of anger, frustration, and maybe a little hurt.

To reframe the situation in order to change your feelings, you could change your thoughts about this person and why they said what they said. Obviously I wasn't there, but maybe she was really trying to help you and it was an honest suggestion! It's possible that she believed her suggestion was in your best interests. Some people try to help without realizing how it can be interpreted by the other person.

Personally, I struggle with acne. and once in a while there's that woman who's got that loving-helpful-mother-instinct in her and she says something like "Have you heard of Proactiv? You ought to try it! I think it would really help you!"
    I could either think to myself "Do you honestly think I have never heard of or tried that product before? Do I look like an idiot to you? Maybe you should try thinking before you speak!"

But then I'd end up pissed off...so what I do now is I think "Aww, this lady was very sweet to offer me some help. She doesn't realize that I hate unsolicited advice or that she made herself look very stupid just now. But, I'll spare her feelings and just say thank you and carry on with my day. It's not her fault she's so ignorant : ) " Then I feel grateful and touched that she tried to help.

On the flip side....

If you get the vibe she really is being malicious, then remember that what people put out is a reflection of what is inside themselves and simply reframe it this way: "Aww, she must have some serious self-hatred issues. I feel sorry that she is walking around taking it out on other people like me. She must have terrible relationships. I'm so grateful that I don't have that issue." Then you end up feeling grateful again and a little sorry for her.

This was a long response! But I hope this strategy helps you in your vulnerable state during your weight loss adventure. Good luck, girl!

xx Maddie
  • maddiepenko
    Options
    Unfortunately dumb people are going to say and do dumb things. That says more about them than it does you. If anything I feel sorry for that lady, going through life being socially inept, lol. You're doing great! Try not to let it get you down.

I should have just said DITTO! to this guy's post.