question about coffee

Options
Hi Everyone,

I plan on starting my diet tomorrow (1200 calores :( ) and i'm not a big fan of black coffee. is Splenda not a good idea? any suggestions for other ways to sweeten my coffee?

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200/day and I still use cream and sugar in my coffee! I think splenda is gross and chemically nasty. I use 2 packets of sugar in the raw (down from 3) and put like 80 calories of cream in it...which I could get down or switch to milk but f*(k it.
  • reachrenhere
    reachrenhere Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    my buddy uses almond milk in his coffee, you could use sweetened vanilla almond or something if you wanted to. he was using sweetener but i talked him out of it and now he just uses 1 tsp of sugar. stevia is also a good option but some brands can be an acquired taste. hope this helps.
  • bbymorgy
    Options
    I love love love black coffee, but if I want a little treat with some healthy fat Ill add a little coconut milk and whip it up in the blender. Its awesome! Trying honey is an option too.
  • bree827642
    Options
    There aren't that many calories in a packet of sugar - it might be worth considering if the mental (that is, psychological) boost that 30 calories from sugar would do in your coffee would be worth the tradeoff for you :)

Just beware of the calories in cream, if you add that - that's where a lot of the calories can add up quickly (to my everlasting disappointment). Good luck!
  • VanessaVegana
    VanessaVegana Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in the raw in my coffee. It doesn't have any calories and it comes from a plant. Much better than splenda in my opinion :)
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    1. The obsession with the 1200 calories benchmark is a little unfortunate. If that is the number you've come up with based on your height, weight, and activity level, then that's great. Otherwise, you're doing yourself a disservice.

2. Most sweeteners should be fine as long as you use them in moderation. This includes sucralose and aspartame. The whole scare around both of those sweeteners is generally badly disguised marketing for "natural" supplements.

3. If you don't like the taste, there is nothing wrong with sugar. Its not THAT many calories and if you just prioritize properly, it shouldn't impact your goal.

4. Caffeine is slightly thermogenic but a bit of a diuretic too. Make sure you stay hydrated or you're going to get the dreaded caffeine migraine.
  • JackieO524
    JackieO524 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use stevia and creamer. Some people don't like stevia, but I think it's wonderful
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MyFitnessPal. Splenda is a brand name for a sucralose-based artificial sweetener derived from sugar. It has been tested and approved as safe again and again. You will still find that it is widely condemned by most people on MFP. I use it anyway, but only in my coffee.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I plan on starting my diet tomorrow (1200 calores :( ) and i'm not a big fan of black coffee. is Splenda not a good idea? any suggestions for other ways to sweeten my coffee?
    I'd take a second look at that 1200 calorie thing if I were you.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I used to just pour the creamer and sweetener until there was almost no coffee left. Then I started measuring, which was a wake-up call. I cut back gradually until I can take it with one sweetener. Now I get better quality coffee instead of drowning the cheap one with fake cream.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have used Splenda for years in my coffee. So yes go to diet drinks, use Splenda for a sweetener.
  • maddiepenko
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, then lose the splenda & sugar.

Try coffee, agave nectar, and Silk for coffee (original, not the vanilla kind).

Agave nectar comes from the agave plant and is naturally sweet. The benefit of agave over sugar is that it does not spike your blood sugar levels, thus your insulin levels do not spike and you don't gain weight.

Also, sugar is addictive and causes you to crave other sugary junk foods which causes more weight gain, so there's another reason to switch from sugar to agave.

Although non-organic soy is not the very best option, it's better than cream. Use your discretion.

Hope this helps,
    xx Maddie
  • Whiskey2206
    Whiskey2206 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I buy flavored coffee and add 2% milk. Don't use splenda...if anything, use Stevia.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, then lose the splenda & sugar.

splenda has 0 calories, can not keep you from losing weight, Sugar is not evil.

Agave nectar comes from the agave plant and is naturally sweet. The benefit of agave over sugar is that it does not spike your blood sugar levels, thus your insulin levels do not spike and you don't gain weight.

Sugar is made from plants as well, sugar cane and beets, Agave nectar is just a different form of sugar. as far as effect of blood sugar lets see some studies? links?
  • tashfashion
    tashfashion Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    that's what MFP suggested based on my height and weight in order to lose around 2 lbs per week. Is it not safe? I weigh 163 right now and i'm 5'8.
  • tashfashion
    tashfashion Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'd take a second look at that 1200 calorie thing if I were you.

that's what MFP suggested based on my height and weight in order to lose around 2 lbs per week. Is it not safe? I weigh 163 right now and i'm 5'8
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    that's what MFP suggested based on my height and weight in order to lose around 2 lbs per week. Is it not safe? I weigh 163 right now and i'm 5'8.
    I doubt you have that much weight to lose. You just want to lose it faster.
    faster doesn't mean better / healthier
    change the goal to .5lb or 1lb per week and go from there.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I won't give up my sugar and cream in my coffee. At home I use teeny little cups that belonged to my grandmother, so I can use a small teaspoon of sugar and a tiny dollop of cream, and at most I'll have 4 cups. AT MOST.

At work I have an oversized cup and I do use at least 5 teaspoons of sugar and at least 3 of creamer, but I try to fit it into my daily calorie limit.

I started out at 1200 too, and it just wasn't working. I increased my calorie limit and am much happier now, even though it will take longer to lose the weight, I know I'll keep the weight off that way.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I use Stevia....it works for the IF plan I am on....it doesn't trigger insulin spikes.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of hype about sweetners. Find one that suits your ethics/diet/taste. Avoid white sugar it's empty calories... unless thats what makes you happy. If so work it into your diet plan and don't use it as a big stick to beat yourelf. the same with milk. I use skim and allow myself the 70 cals of 200mls a day. Almond milk is lower and acceptable but a bit of a faff.
    2lbs a week is do able but rather a high loss rate. Could you accept a lower rate of loss and give yourself more cals to play with? Are you planning on eating back your calories from exercise? Weigh all these things up and then play with what you want over what you can do.
    Good luck.
    :smile: