Paranoid of people seeing me workout

Options
Hi everyone :smile: thanks for taking the time to read this! Ever since I've started my journey, I've been so paranoid of people looking at me while I work out. Whenever I go outside for a walk, I feel as if people in their cars are staring at me as they drive by or the people in their yards are watching me struggling to put one foot in front of the other. I just hate staying in my basement for an hour and staring at nothing but a yellow wall. I guess one of my fears is seeing one of my high school bullies and having them taunt me as I try to move my chubby legs. I really want to be able to go outside and go for a run without having to look down at my feet all the time in embarrassment. I know its more of a self esteem issue but do any of you have any tips I could possibly use? I'm not afraid of walking in public, its just running in public that makes me cringe :blushing: thank you! :smile:

Replies

• eamillie
    eamillie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You gotta realize that everyone is really just concerned with themselves; you're really not as noticed as you think you are, hahaha. I have/had bad social anxiety and know exactly where your at. Go for walks outside in shorts/tight pants/whatever you're going to go running in, and just get used to that.

Best of luck! :)

ETA: And, frankly, you're a gorgeous girl. No one's gonna be staring at you in disgust, let's just say that!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean ... but in reality nobody gives a damn that you're working out. You running won't cause more than a glance at most and the majority of people won't do that much unless you're near their traffic lane where they might hit you with a car. Now get outside and work out.
  • frayst
    frayst Posts: 62
    Options
    This sounds like social anxiety more than anything rational. Nobody cares if they see a skinny, average, chubby, or fat person walking or working out. If anything you will look impressive working up a sweat and showing to the world that you care about improving your life. That's more than what most people can say about themselves. We all have our off days, I know I do, but don't let that stop you from reaching your goals, and for heaven's sake don't let it force you to stare at walls in your basement.
  • ScorpDX
    ScorpDX Posts: 93
    Options
    I was that way too at first. I even joined a 24 hour gym just so I could workout all alone at 3-4am. Then slowly I realized that I'm doing this for me. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Anyone staring is doing it because either you look good, or they're probably wishing they could get off the couch and do it too. Be proud of yourself!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    What I've come to learn through the years is that nearly no one actually thinks about us nearly as much as we think they do. ;)

Seriously, do you take the time to look at others and say to yourself "hey, look at that person, blah, blah, blah..."?

I'm a seriously B.I.G. gal, and I don a swimsuit 3 to 4 times a week in a public pool. Do I care what others think about how I look? Nada.

Truthfully, if I see anyone out running, walking, biking or any other physical activity, I give them a mental high-five. Good for them for moving their bodies.

BTW...you are very, very pretty. If anyone is looking at you it's probably to admire you.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    When I first started running (I since quit because I hate it), I picked a route that had more busy cars and less people on the sidewalk. I'm in Brooklyn so that means it was quite an ugly run but I felt more comfortable on the busy avenue as opposed to the residential avenue. Eventually I stopped caring as much. Getting thinner and more confident helped.
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had an interesting conversation with my male coworkers about how the ONLY time people actually stare at the gym is when they find that person very attractive. So if people are staring it's because they think your butt is cute. :P
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I promise you that people really don't care about what others are doing. I seriously have never once stopped to stare at someone running, or jogging, walking, whatever. People are more concerned with their own stuff, they aren't going to be out looking for people to watch :-)
  • queenbrc
    queenbrc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found this on another post an although I don't like the term "fat girl", it still made me feel better about running.

This is a blog entry from flintland.blogspot.com.

I am in love with this person!

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    What a beautifully written piece, a real example of what Motivation and Support really means. I loved it.
  • Sayonara_SKArc2009
    Options
    Try not to worry about what other people think. I'm sure there's plenty that are cheering you on in their head. The majority won't even care. And if it bother's you that much, running at night is an option, or just in areas that generally have less people.