High Protein Savoury Breakfast Ideas - Not eggs!

Options
I'm looking for high protein savoury breakfast ideas that are very quick and easy.

I don't like eating sweet stuff like fruit or yoghurt at breakfast time and I don't have time to cook up eggs in the morning before I go to work - I also tend to eat eggs for dinner a few times a week so don't want to double up on them and prefer not to have them for breakfast.

I should also mention I want to steer away from carbs in the morning i.e. no bread etc.

Any suggestions?! :)

Replies

• MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Protein shakes might be an option?
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There have been times when I've tossed a leftover chicken breast in the microwave and eaten that on my way out the door. Course, I'm not one who really feels like certain foods are morning foods and others are evening foods, hehe.

So my suggestion is to maybe have a couple things on hand in the fridge that you can just heat up (or not, I like cold hunks of meat :wink: ) and go.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I do a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a TB of cocoa, a frozen half banana, and unsweetened chocolate almond milk. A few ice cubes, blend well. Chocolatey and filling.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Lox and (chive) cream cheese on a whole grain toast/bagel/English muffin. Savory overnight oats. Ready made bacon for a quick BLT wrap. Jimmy Dean's microwave sausage breakfast sandwiches. Biscuit and gravy.
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    Breakfast protein shakes are awesome. Fairly low in carbs and high in protein.

Alternatively, you can make your own protein smoothies the night before and get them to go.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter straight from the jar on its own or with some carrot and celery sticks.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If you want traditional breakfast foods with high protein and low carbs that don't have eggs it can be a bit limiting. You could try protein oatmeal (mix protein powder in after cooking), plain greek yoghurt (isn't sweet at all), protein pancakes or something with cottage cheese or ricotta (maybe with tomatoes, spinach and mushrooms).

If you're not limiting yourself to breakfast style foods then just eat as you would for a high protein low carb lunch or dinner. Leftovers from the night before are quick and easy
  • L0te
    L0te Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't really like sweet things for breakfast, either. My go-to, not including leftovers or carbs, is ham. I have a nice quality deli-style ham I like that i just pop in the microwave a bit. It's only 60 calories a serving, so you can get quite a bit if you want. It's a little unorthodox, but it doesn't get any easier and tastier than that. No carbs, protein keeps you full, and tastes good. And it is technically a breakfast food...
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    In the morning is when you need carbs more!

I usually have 'proats' for breakfast (I too don't tend to have time for cooking eggs), so I make up some porridge with milk and then add some whey powder and a bit of cocoa to get my daily chocolate hit! :love:

Like someone said, you can have greek yoghurt that isn't sweet, but it can taste a bit pants on it's own without honey or something. You can also mix flavoured whey powders into the yoghurt, and of course, add some fruit.

Make up some chicken with veggies or other meat.

Smoothies with yoghurt, maybe some whey powder?

I think you gotta work out what high protein foods you like and then design your breakfast around those.

Beans are also an option.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Leftovers, anything with veggies and meat or tofu. Heat in the microwave or a small frying pan. A slice of high-protein bread with some peanut butter or avocado spread on it. Soft corn tortillas with some leftover salad and salsa.
  • solsi6
    solsi6 Posts: 14
    Options
    Idea 1: Some low-fat, low-salt type of cheese. Put a lot of it between two thin slices of bread. Place in the sandwich maker: Delicious!

Idea 2: Low fat jerky or other pre-cooked meat product, Again two thin slices of bread and the sandwich maker: Delicious!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    I have a typical chinese breakfast of congee (savoury rice porridege) with some vegetables such as bean sprouts and snow peas poached in it. I normally also poach an egg in my congee. Of course, congee does contain carbs, but you could cut down on the carb count by making the congee quite thin. I will typically have some leftover protein and kimchi as a condiment on the side.

Asian breakfasts are typically hearty noodle soups. Perhaps you could skip the noodles and have broth with some meat and veg?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Leftovers. Sandwich. You could make a quiche and just reheat it for breakfast though.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Look into zucchini fritter recipes. You can make up a big batch, freeze some, refrigerate some, and eat them with whatever you personally like (for me it would probably be tzatziki sauce or something else dairy based).

Hash browns are another option, as is making a big breakfast casserole and then eating it for the week. Meats and cheeses can be the base, rather than egg.
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Make a bunch of muffin tin quiche with your favourite toppings on the weekend to zap in the microwave weekday mornings?
  • patrickca1942
    patrickca1942 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I actually have the same question. Some people are recommending toast, a muffin, or oatmeal. I'm trying to avoid bread, grains, potatoes, pasta, and rice. I tend to overdo it with eggs and am looking for an alternative for breakfast as well. I like some of these suggestions, especially the "eat dinner stuff for breakfast" suggestions. I may try a protein drink though I prefer to eat my meals instead of drinking them. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
  • leashb82
    leashb82 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I definitely have some new things to try ... never really considered "non-breakfast" foods, but that sounds like a great option.

Cheers :)