Can I Make a Homemade Pizza On a Pan with Holes?

Options
I want to make homemade pizza (dough, etc) and I only have a pizza pan with holes. Will that work? I'm a little afraid of the dough dripping from the holes.

Replies

• traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The dough shouldn't drip, in fact it will make your base crispier. If you are worried about it dripping through, line the pan with some foil or baking paper.
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If your dough drips you did something wrong. It should be fine as long as you were able to kneed it with no problem.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The dough shouldn't be runny enough to drip. I have done it with a pan with holes and it's lovely and crisp.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I echo what the previous replies were. If the dough consistency is correct using a pan of that fashion should not be an issue. I use that pan style myself when making pizza at home.
  • LoveHealth7
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will try it.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    just one more tip - remember to lay your already rolled-out dough onto the pan (and not roll it on the pan, because then you would be pressing the dough into the holes)- I mention this because I am guessing that you are fairly new to pizza making, please disregard if I am mistaken

enjoy your pizza! :-)
  • LoveHealth7
    Options
    Haha JeninBelgium the recipe said "press into pan" so that's what I was going to do! I didn't event think of that!! Thanks, much appreciated :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The pan with the holes are pizza trays and are specifically designed for pizza. As the others have said if your dough is runny enough for it to drip you've done something wrong.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Haha JeninBelgium the recipe said "press into pan" so that's what I was going to do! I didn't event think of that!! Thanks, much appreciated :)

Also, assuming this is a yeast dough, if the recipe calls for a resting or raising period of more than five minutes after you've formed the dough into a crust shape, I would leave it on the surface on which you rolled it out or otherwise shaped it (covered with a clean dish towel), and then transfer it to the pizza pan just before you put the sauce, cheese, and toppings on and pop it in the oven. (Otherwise it might "rise" -- that is, expand -- through the holes in the pan. It wouldn't drip, but you'd have all these odd bumps on the bottom that would make it difficult to remove from the pan and difficult to slice.) One easy way to move it from the rolling surface to the pan is to roll it up around the rolling pin and then unroll it onto the pan.

Good luck, have fun, and I hope it turns out great.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I love my homemade pizza! The pans with holes are the best!

I used to make it totally by hand but the kneading was such a pain that I went and bought a breadmaker. We normally have homemade pizza once a week in our house and a good size base comes in at less than 400 calories!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe

http://www.fearlesshomemaker.com/2012/08/thin-crust-pizza/

It just cooks on parchment paper on whatever pan you have.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I read this as making a pizza with holes in a pan. Donut-pizza :)
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    mmm donut pizza ! Actually though I have taken scraps of extra pizza touch and baked with some cinnamon and sugar- yummy
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    Also, assuming this is a yeast dough, if the recipe calls for a resting or raising period of more than five minutes after you've formed the dough into a crust shape, I would leave it on the surface on which you rolled it out or otherwise shaped it (covered with a clean dish towel), and then transfer it to the pizza pan just before you put the sauce, cheese, and toppings on and pop it in the oven. (Otherwise it might "rise" -- that is, expand -- through the holes in the pan. It wouldn't drip, but you'd have all these odd bumps on the bottom that would make it difficult to remove from the pan and difficult to slice.) One easy way to move it from the rolling surface to the pan is to roll it up around the rolling pin and then unroll it onto the pan.

Good luck, have fun, and I hope it turns out great.
    [/quote]

No, that won't happen. I always prove my pizza bases on the 'holey' pizza pan - it won't go into the holes. You can also stretch and press the dough to fit the pan. A little wipe with oil will prevent any sticking. Enjoy!