Do vitamins you buy at the store really do anything?

Options
I am a notoriously picky eater and I have trouble getting a lot of nutrients I need.
I know they're not a replacement, but do they really help?

Replies

• LoveHealth7
    Options
    I heard that they help, but they can not compare to eating fruits and veggies. It's just not the same.
  • solsi6
    solsi6 Posts: 14
    Options
    They will definitely give you some vitamins but real food has stuff you need such as fibre and other enzymes or whatever you cannot get from pills. You must eat your fruits if you don't want to get sick some day.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and supplements are a whole balancing act. If you are deficient in areas you have to figure out what you aren't taking in enough of through foods. You can't replace food with vitamins if that's what you mean. And there is no magic vitamin or supplement. Have you tried a compounding pharmacy ?
    Also sorry to sound like a true MFP poster but if you open your diary it might help me see what you are saying
  • bluecat145
    bluecat145 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For now, I'm not comfortable opening my diary. Maybe in the future.
    My big problem is vegetables. I only eat carrots and lettuce. I realize I'm missing out on nutrients because I don't eat any others. I know supplements will not replace them, but maybe they can make up for it a tiny bit until I get my diet on track.