Tattoo and weight loss?

Options
So im planning on getting a tattoo but i still need to lose 100 lbs. i want to know whats a good place that has a lower chance of the tatt being messed up? i have heard mixed things about back/shoulder, but not much about calf. would calf be a good start?

Replies

• maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Anywhere you get it would change with the weghtloss.

My recommendantion would be to wait till your closer to your goal (then not only will it affect the tat less, but it could also be the treat to congratulate yourself :) )

Good luck with your journey

xxx
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Get your tattoo where you want it, end of story. There are more important considerations about tattoo placement than weight loss and they will age anyway.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have numerous tattoos (20 I think) and I use them as rewards for weight loss success - each time I lose a stone (14lb) I have a new tattoo, I have all mine in places that are not generally affected by weight/inch loss.

I have tattoos on my inner wrists, collar bones, behind my ears, forearms, biceps, shoulder blades, bottom of my neck, side of my calves and on my feet, I plan to have a tramp stamp (bottom of the spine) done when I reach my goal weight. I haven't had that one done as I thought my weight/inch loss may cause it to go out of shape and look rubbish, but other than that, I've seen no changes in the tattoos I already had and have recently had done.

Just find an area of your body where inches are less likely to be noticeable,you should be fine.

Good luck xXx
  • Troublenugget
    Options
    Hey thanks! i actually have already lost 50 lbs so id say thats a milestone. i would totally wait until my goal but the situation is my friend is getting into tattooing so she wanted to give me one. i dont want to risk starting an arm sleeve so i think i'll go with the calf.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks! i actually have already lost 50 lbs so id say thats a milestone. i would totally wait until my goal but the situation is my friend is getting into tattooing so she wanted to give me one. i dont want to risk starting an arm sleeve so i think i'll go with the calf.

I highly suggest you dont be your friends guinea pig. Her style of tattooing might not be the style you want (new-age vs classic black and white for example. East Asian inspired when you wanted traditional American etc). Also she very well may suck and it could ruin your friendship.
  • Glaziazisaur
    Options

I highly suggest you dont be your friends guinea pig. Her style of tattooing might not be the style you want (new-age vs classic black and white for example. East Asian inspired when you wanted traditional American etc). Also she very well may suck and it could ruin your friendship.

+1!! Definitely don't be a "practice" person unless you've seen your friend's style and her work on practice skins!

The center of your body changes the most with big weight loss, but sagging skin could be something you may need to also think about (it depends on each person's level of collagen and your age though)
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    1. get your tattoo where YOU want. extremities will change the least - forearms/wrists, calves/ankles. upper back, the tops or backs of your shoulders, and your upper chest/throat are all places that shouldn't change *too* much with drastic weight loss. calves can be harder to heal because of gravity - if you're at all prone to cellulitis or edema, i'd strongly suggest avoiding your calves.

2. get your tattoo in a licensed shop. depending on where you live, tattooing may not be as heavily regulated. people who tattoo in your home or out of their home are less likely to have access to the expensive autoclave equipment that is needed to sterilize tubes, grips, and other tattoo machine parts.

3. think carefully about being your friend's guinea pig. i have numerous tattoos from an apprentice that was training at the tattoo salon i worked in. the smaller ones are fine. the larger ones are another story. tattoo artists with less experience may not be as good at packing color in and may need to go over and over AND OVER the same spot again. this overworking can lead to tough healing and scar tissue. those issues cannot always be fixed. if you're looking for a small butterfly or giraffe, something that wouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes in the chair, that might be an 'okay' practice tattoo. if you're looking for something big and/or very detailed, please go with a more experienced artist. not all tattoo mistakes can be fixed.

4. general tip: don't get names unless they're your children's names or like 'mom'. don't get names. i can't tell you how many customers come in on a weekly basis to get an ex's name covered up or reworked.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can add here is please think really hard about having your first tat especially done by an artist in training. Unless you have seen the work they have done and know for sure they can do it well. My daughter let one of her friends practice on her and now has an awful (Large) tattoo across her chest that is just black line (no color, no fill) and not straight/even and filled with flaws you can see from across the room! She loves the tat, however even she will admit she wishes she waited and had it done by someone more seasoned.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    1. get your tattoo where YOU want. extremities will change the least - forearms/wrists, calves/ankles. upper back, the tops or backs of your shoulders, and your upper chest/throat are all places that shouldn't change *too* much with drastic weight loss. calves can be harder to heal because of gravity - if you're at all prone to cellulitis or edema, i'd strongly suggest avoiding your calves.

2. get your tattoo in a licensed shop. depending on where you live, tattooing may not be as heavily regulated. people who tattoo in your home or out of their home are less likely to have access to the expensive autoclave equipment that is needed to sterilize tubes, grips, and other tattoo machine parts.

3. think carefully about being your friend's guinea pig. i have numerous tattoos from an apprentice that was training at the tattoo salon i worked in. the smaller ones are fine. the larger ones are another story. tattoo artists with less experience may not be as good at packing color in and may need to go over and over AND OVER the same spot again. this overworking can lead to tough healing and scar tissue. those issues cannot always be fixed. if you're looking for a small butterfly or giraffe, something that wouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes in the chair, that might be an 'okay' practice tattoo. if you're looking for something big and/or very detailed, please go with a more experienced artist. not all tattoo mistakes can be fixed.

4. general tip: don't get names unless they're your children's names or like 'mom'. don't get names. i can't tell you how many customers come in on a weekly basis to get an ex's name covered up or reworked.

#4 is definitely a great rule... i still snicker at the thought that ex#2 has a billboard with my name on him.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I had a friend give me a perm once when she was in beauty school. Hey it was free, right?

BIG mistake. It was a horrible perm. took years to grow out completely because my hair was so long.

Imagine how much more permanent a tattoo is. Don't do it. Please...get your tat from someone who is experienced.