Is quorn bad for you?

Options
I want to reduce my meat consumption. I was vegetarian for a few months and I do feel strongly about animal rights however even 5 months down the line I craved meat, and had awful stomach aches. Turns out dairy legumes and wheat trigger my ibs, all foods my diet was full of. I also found out I have pcos which made me wary about soy foods like tofu. I live at home and am not allowed to go vegan.
I eat only chicken & turkey, still refusing to eat fish & red meat as as selfish as this sounds, I needed to sort of my stomach and my health. A lot of quorn products contain milk protein which upsets my stomach, other than the chicken style pieces.
I'm considering retrying the quorn chicken style pieces a couple of times a week, thus limiting my consumption. However my concern is that I mostly avoid processed food and quorn is made up of mycoprotein. Would eating quorn be bad for me? Is chicken the healthier option than this?

ingredients in quorn chicken pieces:

[Mycoprotein (94%), Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Flavouring, Firming Agents: Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate]

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Some people are allergic to it, but I guess you can only find that out by eating it. If it upsets your stomach, it might be the allergen and not the milk product.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff, simply because I've read how it was made and what it's made of (and it ain't mushrooms, kids).
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to the mince versions but can tolerate the whit versions. Sort of the chicken substitute.
    If you have an intolerance to fungus then avoid it.
    It is grown as a culture type thing.

The mycoprotein is the grown bit. Nasty stuff
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    It sounds gross. But that's my uninformed opinion.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You could always retry it and if it makes you not feel well then just stay with real chicken. I haven't ever tried the Quorn products, I usually stick with Morningstar because they are cheaper around here, only the bacon and grillers though. It's been a long time since I had the chicken nugget product. They contain mostly soy but some wheat so maybe not the best for you.