will cutting caffeine free diet coke help my weight loss?

Options
I drink caffeine free diet coke on a regular basis, its my favorite. I was curious if I stop drinking it and went with only water (I do drink a lot of water too) if it would actually help me lose weight. Will it?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    No.

It will make zero difference. Maintaining a calorie deficit consistently over a sustained period of time is what makes you lose weight.

Enjoy your diet coke!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    if you like caffeine free diet coke, then drink it. It will have no effect on your weight loss. The only thing that matters is being in a calorie deficit for weight loss.

here are some great pointers to help you get started
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Theoretically… no. It's still 0 calories. It's the calorie deficit that matters. But I know my sister found that cutting out her diet soda really helped her. I think the sweetness of it caused cravings for other things. That being said… I know my sister didn't track her calories. So, if you're still tracking calories and able to maintain a deficit… it really shouldn't effect it at all.
  • someghostguy
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone! :)
  • mshannond
    Options
    depends.
    I found it has- I found I craved sweet stuff after diet coke but on days where I didn't I didn't crave sweet stuff.
    Some people find it prevents them from snacking. I find I sleep better and that's a crucial part of not over eating the next day. Give it a trial and see.. if you see no change in appetite or sleep or cravings then why not drink it :)
  • Troublenugget
    Options
    yeah it will, but you should be cutting it anyway just because its bad for you.. i drink only water now and i lost weight when i switched over. every now and then i will have some pop but im not used to the carbination now so i dont even really enjoy it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    yeah it will, but you should be cutting it anyway just because its bad for you.. i drink only water now and i lost weight when i switched over. every now and then i will have some pop but im not used to the carbination now so i dont even really enjoy it.

And how is it bad for you?
  • solsi6
    solsi6 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have read in many places that the artificial sweeteners in diet coke can mess with your body's ability ot regulate the sugar etc. Apart from that I see no difference between drinking and leaving cafein-free diet coke. It's basically water with taste and color and bubbles.
    By the way, caffeine can actually make you lose weight.
  • ashbarretto4
    Options
    Cut all soda out always. No matter if it's Coke Zero etc.

1. It induces cravings for other sweet things.
    2. Coke Zero whilst having no sugar or calories contains more chemicals to still make it addicting and enjoyable

Replace it with flavoured carbonated water. You can get fantastic ones from Tesco and Morrisons that are next to nothing in sugar and calories BUT it's not a soda! it's just fizzy water that tastes like fruit!

I love soda but changing to flavoured carbonated water saved my life. I don't miss soda at all now because I feel like I have it everyday :)

Good luck kicking the habit :)

x:smile::smile: :bigsmile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cut all soda out always. No matter if it's Coke Zero etc.

1. It induces cravings for other sweet things.
    2. Coke Zero whilst having no sugar or calories contains more chemicals to still make it addicting and enjoyable

Replace it with flavoured carbonated water. You can get fantastic ones from Tesco and Morrisons that are next to nothing in sugar and calories BUT it's not a soda! it's just fizzy water that tastes like fruit!

I love soda but changing to flavoured carbonated water saved my life. I don't miss soda at all now because I feel like I have it everyday :)

Good luck kicking the habit :)

x:smile::smile: :bigsmile:
    What exactly do you think "soda" is if it's not flavoured carbonated water with sweetener (whether sugar or a substitute)?

You appear to be advocating replacing one flavoured and carbonated drink with another!
  • BooAndKitty
    Options
    Slowly cut it out if your thinking to do so, I'm caffeine dependent at the moment and slowly trying to take it out my life.
  • CandyJR
    CandyJR Posts: 13
    Options
    It would possibly reduce your bloating which could help your stomach look flatter. The carbonation does have the ability to have some people retain a bit of water but if you drink plenty of H2O to flush your system out then you should be okay. Really, this is not supposed to be a diet, its a lifestyle change. If you give up everything you love and have nothing you truly enjoy you are setting yourself up to fail. I have cut soda and feel better but I still have a few treats that are allowed in my world.
  • SammieDQ37
    Options
    I've found that soda can cause belly bloat and that can feel very uncomfortable. Kicking the habit can have withdrawal side effects but one you're past that you should be ok. Try to add fresh fruit to your water for healthy flavor.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yes - absolutely - I cut out coke zero for a year - and lost 110lbs!!

Oh wait - maybe I lost 110lbs because I maintained a calorie deficit for a year.....the basic stuff ;-)

By the way - I only cut out coke zero towards the end of the year - did not make one iota of difference to my weekly losses.....
  • LaurieF19
    Options
    According to my bariatric surgeon, all soda, diet or otherwise, makes you gain weight. The carbonation helps stretch your stomach so that you feel hungrier and want to eat more. I would say stay away from soda if you want to lose more and not be hungry.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think there's quite a bit of value in knowing your own body.
    Are you addicted? Do you have to have it every day? Then probably best to cut it.
    There's probably something to be said for the bloating or stomach stretching, but I don't think that has universal implications.

I drink a vanilla or cherry diet coke 1-2 times week. I keep one around for when I'm having a crazy sweet craving and am ready to dig into the kids' leftover holiday candy. It does what i need it to. It satisfies the urge for something sweet and stops the craving. It also makes me feel very full. But I think I wouldn't feel very good if I have one every day. It makes me feel a little laden, and quite frankly, lazy.

So again, know your own body and its relationship with the soda. Do a little experiment. Observe and journal how you do with and without it.