Too Old for College?

Options
bloodyhonest
bloodyhonest Posts: 196 Member
Do you think there is an age where someone is just too old to go back to school? Just wanted your opinions on the matter.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Never too old for education.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Never to old. I finished my bachelor's last year and I am 46
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Do you think there is an age where someone is just too old to go back to school? Just wanted your opinions on the matter.

nope
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    No. I'll be finishing my Associates next spring and I'll be 40.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    No...I knew a woman in her 60s that went back to college. She was amazing!
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I knew a woman who became an MD after raising her children to adulthood. Most inspiring thing ever.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I work in a university. My oldest ever student completed their doctorate at the age of 83. You're never too old.
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know a 96-year-old grandpa who is taking courses on Quantum Physics. Never too old.
  • McMandy17
    McMandy17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I sure hope not because I'm going back to finish my bachelor's in a few days and I'm 34!
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Never. Started my Bachelor's at 29, now starting my Master's at 35. Couple undergrad classes where I was the oldest, but not all, and definitely not in postgrad classes.
  • smcewin
    smcewin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hope not. I'm 32 and still planning to go back. I still have to pay off a little debt and get a couple pre-requisite credits before I'm ready to apply so I'll probably be 34 by the time I get started.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    My grandfather started working at 15 to support his family and didn't stop until he retired. After he retired, he worked to get his high school diploma, received an Associates Degree, and even had a small book of poetry published. It's certainly better, career wise, to do this earlier in life, but it's never too late to good things for yourself.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    It all depends on your reason for going back. If its because you want to experience the college lifestyle, then I think there is a cut off. If the intent is to pick up skills that you think will be valuable, there is a point at which the returns start to diminish. If you want to be a lifelong learner, then there its never too late.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Never too old. I have a relative who got his degree in his 50s.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You are never too old
  • docc30
    docc30 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and still going to college. I don't think you're ever too old.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    No. I'm 41, going back to finish my MBA in October.
  • TheCakeIsALie86
    TheCakeIsALie86 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I teach at a Further and Higher education college in the UK and older students are always an amazing addition to any class! A great influence and inspiration, and no, you are never too old to learn!

I have plenty of students who are older than me, and all of my students young or old, teach me things everyday. It's pretty awesome :)
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Never Too Old. I finished my Bachelors and Masters in my late 30s. And still thinking serious about going for a PhD at 52, Just need to find the time and money!!!!!