Too Old for College?

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    No. That time will pass anyway, no matter what you do with it.
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    Seriously though... the older you get, the lower the financial return on a college educations... unless you're majoring in the majority of humanities... them there is likely to be a very low return regardless of when you start.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Nope. My pops spent his career in the Navy. He went to school when he got out because they paid for it and all, he was in his 40's when he took his first class. I did two years of college and left to join the service myself. I'll get to go to school paid for which is great.....but I will be at least 28-30 years old. Honestly though, it's almost better. Because over the years I've learned a lot of discipline and will value going to school more (i.e. I will actually show up on TIME to classes, won't skip classes, and will actually study sooner than 5 minutes before my exams :bigsmile:)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    NEVER stop learning! You're never too old to learn something new. :)
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    Also, if you're looking for "learning" options, look at Coursera or other MOOC options that are free and often of very high quality. Most major universities now have "open" courses for most of their departments. Remember, you don't need a credential to prove you love a topic.
  • AdaVanderlyle
    AdaVanderlyle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as being too old for doing something for yourself, whatever that something is! (especially education)!

I got my first bachelors at 23, got back to school at 29 and got my second bachelors, and now I am a year away of
    getting my masters degree. And I am 33.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Do you think there is an age where someone is just too old to go back to school? Just wanted your opinions on the matter.

NEVER
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    No.
    Educating yourself is a lifetime experience and you are never too old.
  • SusanGettingFit
    Options
    I think not as I am a 44 year old college senior set to graduate in the coming Spring. Education is one thing that no one can ever take away from you, and the benefits of attendance reach far beyond academics. Just do it!
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Nope, if it is something you want to pursue there are no age limits.
  • sunny_jimbob
    Options
    Never. I used to tutor in a life long learning centre, and the eldest student I had was 93, wanting to communicate with his grandkids in Australia. Some people had a specific motivation like that, or work prospects, but many just had a passion for learning new things, and that's something I hope I'll never lose. As the great philosopher Calvin said to his stuffed tiger, "It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy. Let's go exploring." (http://calvinethobbes.free.fr/images/lastcalvin.gif)
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Nope! I'm 50 and getting my BA. I was given the opportunity to go back to school and took it.

I have heard some people say that "old" people getting a degree is a waste, because "What will they do with it?" Well, sometimes just getting the degree is the accomplishment. For some people just learning, continuing to use their mind and expanding their knowledge is very helpful and healthy . It doesn't always have to be about financial gain or even "using" the degree. I earned the Post 9/11 GI Bill while I was in the military and was not able to pass it on to my kids, so I decided to not just let it sit there. I already had a degree for my job, but I also teach Sunday school, so I decided a degree in Religion would be fun. I was right and I'm almost done with it and will move on to the masters program once I complete my BA.

Last semester I had a 68 year old lady in my class and she was LOVING being in school!
  • mmbell1
    mmbell1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • kertlj
    kertlj Posts: 4
    Options
    Never too old! I started when I was 47 (am now 51)with a non-credit certificate program in HR Management, and have achieved straight A's. This experience has given me more confidence and now I am enrolled in September to achieve a certificate in Adult Ed, which is a credit program. When I am done, with that certificate I will be about 40 credits short of a bachelor's degree. I'm doing it backwards, and it seems to be working for me in terms of career success! This makes me feel wonderful, and the time I spend with different age groups and different cultures is also very rewarding. I am attending one course per semester over the long term so it doesn't overwhelm me with all the other responsibilities I have. You can do it! Go for it!!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Seriously though... the older you get, the lower the financial return on a college educations... unless you're majoring in the majority of humanities... them there is likely to be a very low return regardless of when you start.

Can everything be boiled down to dollar value?

Surely education has an intrinsic value?

If I fancy going back in my forties and doing, say: Medieval History would that be so bad if it brings me no extra financial gain (or even costs me a chunk)?
  • DAWNSTEP
    DAWNSTEP Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and will have Associates next year then maybe go for my bachelor's.
  • the__great__beyond
    Options

Can everything be boiled down to dollar value?

Surely education has an intrinsic value?

If I fancy going back in my forties and doing, say: Medieval History would that be so bad if it brings me no extra financial gain (or even costs me a chunk)?

Of course not... however, if the intent is to learn for learning's sake, there are far more cost effective ways than a four year program. Like I said in my first post, it all depends on your reasons. If its because you want to learn, then there won't be any clear cut reasons to determine if its "worth it." It all depends on how you feel emotionally and how motivated you are to stick to it.

If you're doing it because you want to find a job and/or get a raise, then there is a cut off in value.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Just as long as you're not correcting the history teacher and going "no, that wasn't how it went" you'll be fine.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Never
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You are never to old for College. I've read, and have friends that went to college after the kids were grown and on their own.