No Support from your SO?

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
Sure, your wife or husband might be the one who off-handedly mentioned that you could stand to lose a pound or two, but when confronted with any "sacrifices" they might have to make, such as eating healthier or helping watch the kids while you make time to workout, they're not as supportive as you'd like. And they don't seem to understand that even though you now snack on celery sticks and almonds, watching them chow down on chips and salsa is still a hideous temptation that you would prefer to avoid.

You getting the support you need at home?

Replies

• Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yep! My man loves my new bod and is perfectly happy to watch the kiddos when I workout. I do have to keep saying "No, thanks" to chips and guacamole, ice cream, etc. That makes me feel like the household Debbie Downer but I won't ask him to give up his favorite things either. That would really be a downer! :tongue:
  • adman50
    adman50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's hard chap- I guess it just depends to how much you want it, people here are always munching on crap at their desks but I see a chocolate bar and think is that worth 30 mins on a treadmill.....99/100 it's not.

My missus eats like a pig and is still a slim size 8 but I look at the cake and I gain. She a bit sensitive to my needs with regards to eating junk or not offering me stuff. I met her when I was a fatty boom boom and we hooked up after I had lost 7 stone, so she can't complain that I train or anything because we wouldn't be together today. I'm not implying she wasn't interested because I was fat, it was the confidence I gained from becoming healthier and happier that led to us becoming an item.

I do have a cheat meal once a week where I eat what I want and as much as I want so we share that as a bonding time in order to satisfy her cravings as much as my own.

I don't have kids so can't comment there- but what about going swimming with them or going to the park to play football or something. Kills two birds with one stone for lack of a better phrase.
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Heck no. I mean, my SO became a psuedo vegetarian so I wouldn't have to cook 2 meals, and he gave up the 19 chocolate chip cookies he used to eat before bed every night, and he helps me with the kids when he's home so I can work out and he built an in ground pool in my back yard so I can do laps..... but he buys sour cream an onion pringles because he knows they are my vice, so I'm going with no he does not support me, he's definitly trying to sabotage me. :sad:
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My hubby attempts to be supportive but we aren't always on the same page. He will try to make dinner once in a while but what he thinks is a healthy dinner and what I think is a healthy dinner are very different. He's not always too excited about trying my new healthy recipes either. We are figuring it out though!
    Luckily as far as snacks go, I like sweets and he likes salty things.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Can't really relate to this, my husband supports me and still eats all the foods he wants.
  • tracielh1976
    tracielh1976 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    nope i get why are you trying to lose weight your fine, oo your not heavy , heres some chocolate etc
  • adaffern
    adaffern Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can't say he's not supportive. He watches the kids when I go to the gym or keeps them out of my hair when I'm doing my weekly meal prep. However, he does not change is diet. Yesterday he and our daughter had Pizza while I had my grilled chicken (prepared earlier in the week) and asparagus. He has his snacks and soft drinks, but won't give those up. I just have to keep up with my meal prep so that I don't take the "easy" way out and have pizza next time he does.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My current SO that I've been with for about 2 years has been really supportive. He's always liked bigger women, and he's never minded putting up with a round tummy to get the curves he likes, but even after losing my initial weight before we got together (around 50lbs) I'm still self-conscious about my body. He's very good about letting me know that he finds me attractive now, that he wouldn't have cared when I was heavier, and that if I want to lose weight, that's my prerogative and he'll do what he can to help.

He already works an active job, but he'll still come on walks with me some evenings and the occasional hike or longer walks on weekends so that I'm not just being active alone, and he's happily tried about a billion strange meals that I thought might be interesting or good or just had amazing macros. Even though we live together, we still eat a lot of food apart, so that seems to work out well. He does eat and keep tons of junk food in the house -- I don't think he's ever gone a day without a couple cans of pop and a bag of chips -- but he doesn't encourage me to eat it or really offer me it anymore (other than the odd soda, if we're already making a decision to eat something bad, like ordering a pizza).

When I first started losing weight the SO I had however was completely not supportive. He actively encouraged me not to work out, to continue to eat poorly, etc which had a lot to do with the abusive dynamic of the relationship; it's a lot easier to make someone feel like they don't have options, when you're constantly making them feel bad about their body and working to make them feel less attractive.

I think for me, developing a healthy lifestyle wasn't just about the food I was going to put into my body, it was about getting the unhealthy influences out of my life. My current SO is a healthy choice, we support each other, he wants me to feel good about myself and doesn't see me losing weight as a negative if it's what I want to do, nor does he belittle me if I have a few really healthy weeks and then go a little nutty over a weekend.

He has joked that he gets final decision on when I should stop though haha
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been really lucky - when I started my SO said he also wanted to shift a few pounds so he ate what I ate (plus some extra for him but not normally in front of me). So I did all the food planning and "diet" thinking, lost 42 pounds, and he lost 30 lbs without having to think about it!
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not really... my wife understands but she is more worried that I will never be happy with my body.. I am happy, but I want to keep improving.

She on the other hand, was model (kind of as a hobby in High School and a bit after college and worked with a local agency on some small gigs.. .she wasn't flying to Italy for shoots... damn I wish) but is professionally a teacher.

She was always very thin naturally and could eat what she wanted.. but after college it was harder for her to keep weight off and she has gained some. But the problem is, while I'm trying to lose weight she is still eating in front of me whatever she wants. It is proving to be very frustrating.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have been really lucky - when I started my SO said he also wanted to shift a few pounds so he ate what I ate (plus some extra for him but not normally in front of me). So I did all the food planning and "diet" thinking, lost 42 pounds, and he lost 30 lbs without having to think about it!

Mine too - they've lost about 20lb and I've lost 70lb. Of course, they've been at maintenance for a while now - but they have additional crisps and snacks, and maintain well on what we eat together.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Definitely not! He is resentful of the time and energy I put in to building a healthy lifestyle. He thinks it's silly, and is not willing to help with kids or anything else. I am so envious of couples who both enjoy the same kind of active, healthy lifestyle. It would be so much fun to have a partner like that.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    He's supportive, as long as I don't go for the "female body builder" look according to him. He still drinks a ton of pop and eats fast food, bu the's doing it less and less and starting to eat healthier and talking about working out. He hasn't started working out, but he's showing more intrest in it than he used to. He's only sabbatoged me once but I don't think he was trying to sabbatoge me, I think he was just trying to be sweet by buying me my favorite dish at this fast food Mexican place called Pancho's. He surprised me with it one night.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Makes me happy I am single.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get the support I need at home from my SO, just as he gets it from me.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    My husband is an amazing support. We've been eating "clean" and he's 100% in. He doesn't even cheat and have a pop at work or anything like that (even tho I have told him he can, he just can't tell me or I'll want to cheat haha). We don't have kids but he will make dinner or walk the dogs or whatever I need to help get my workouts in and he's the first person to say "no" when I have a craving. He even makes sure I'm awake before he leaves in the morning (at 4:45am :s ) so I have time to do an AM workout. I couldn't do it if he wasn't like that! And the best part is he's completely happy with how I look now and how I may look later so its not like he's doing it cuz he thinks I'm not attractive, he's just doing it because I asked him to :)

He's even been losing weight and is thrilled about it!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! My two cats are wonderfully supportive!
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I don't get much support, a little I guess, in that she will actually buy a few things (for me) that are in my diet, or ask me, but otherwise nope.
  • _JustDG_
    _JustDG_ Posts: 1,584
    Options
    Those SO's are so overrated. :tongue: