Crockpot receipts for weight loss

Options
tanyak1971
tanyak1971 Posts: 8 Member
Looking for some crockpot receipts good for losing weight that is also delicious for the whole family.

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    The crockpot is my best friend for dinners. Such an easy way to get things done.

I love the recipe I'm about to put below, it's flavourful, a little spicy, and cooks perfect in the crock-pot. I made it for years for my parents/siblings, and I still make it now that I live with my significant other.

With the exception of it's high sodium content (which you could fix by using an alternative to the chicken broth I add), it's healthy with lean protein, fresh and canned veggies, legumes, and so on. Definitely worth a try.

Black Bean, Corn and Turkey Chili

Nutrition (Makes 6 servings)

Calories: 296

Fat: 7.29g

Sat Fat: 1.8g

Cholestorol: 15mg

Sodium: 1432mg

Potassium: 68mg

Carbs: 34.25

Fiber: 7.4

Sugar: 9.5

Protein: 22.3

Vit A: 19%

Vit C: 77%

Calcium: 3.6%

Iron: 18%

Ingredients:

500g Extra Lean Minced/Ground Turkey

1 medium onion

1 red bell pepper

1 can corn (niblets)

1 can black beans, drained

2 cups of salsa

1 3/4 cups chicken broth

2 jalepeno peppers, diced, seeds removed

4 tbsp Chili Powder

1 tbsp garlic powder

2 tbsp cumin

Steps:

1. Brown turkey with half of seasoning

2. Cut up onion, red pepper and add into crock pot with all remaining ingredients.

3. Add turkey to crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
  • cinmorrowlvn
    cinmorrowlvn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com

She has AMAZING recipes including a whole section just for slowcookers. The foods are healthy but taste great and are "real" food as opposed to "diet" food. She simply adapts regular recipes to be healthier. She's a weight watchers girl for a long time and includes the nutritional information for each recipe.

Good luck!!
  • 53rh
    53rh Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on skinnytaste.com looks promising!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love my crock pot! My boyfriend and I don't have any specific recipes we stick to per se, but I find my 'recipe' below is pretty flawless.

1) Add a few cups of chopped vegetables tossed with salt and pepper. (The 'sturdier' the better - I like onions, sweet potatoes, squash, peppers, carrots, beets, etc.)

2) Place a protein on top. (Chicken breast, thighs, fish filets, ribs, pork chops, tofu, etc.)

3) Choose a low-cal sauce and dump it in over top. (Salsa or low-cal salad dressings work great for this. The grocery store I go to carries a low-cal peanut satay sauce that is my absolute favourite. Or if you prefer to go sauce-less, just add a few spices and a touch of extra virgin olive oil.)

4) Turn that crockpot on low for 8 hours.

5) Enjoy a perfect meal when you return home from work!

:drinker:
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    One of our family favorites.....

Chicken breasts
    Taco seasoning
    Salsa... Your choice
    Sour cream .. We use lite.

Rub chicken breasts well with taco seasoning
    Place in crockpot, pour jar of favorite salsa over and cook on high 3 hours till tender.. Depending on your crockpot, might take more or less time
    Shred add sour cream and put in burritos, over rice or just in a sandwich.. Could also add a can of black beans. Hope you like it.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE using my crockpot, especially so I don't have to turn the oven on and most recipes for it are very easy!

Check out thegraciouspantry.com she has some great crockpot recipes that are very easy and easy to tailor. I was surprised at all you can cook in it!

I love cooking a whole chicken in it, my favorite obsession as of late. We have had chicken 3 out of the past 4 weeks as I was stocking up on bones to make bone broth (also in the crockpot). nomnompaleo.com has a great recipe for this that got me started and I've gone off on my own now! Also the gravy she suggests is AMAZING!!!!

You can cook all kinds of meats, chicken breats, ground meats, shoulder cuts, the options are endless. You can even cook without a set recipe, just having chicken breast in the fridge/freezer waiting for you.

I do recommend searing the meat like chicken breast, or shoulder meats on the stove top first, really hot pan, just a few minutes on each side as that locks in the juices. I have yet to do this since I'm usually in a sort of lazy mode using my crock. Without this step the meat can seem kind of dry. My fiancée doesn't think so, but I do. Not inedibly dry, just a little drier than I would like.

Just search for crockpot recipes and there are tons. Start with what sounds the best, easiest, or yummiest and go from there! Your options are endless! Congrats on a healthier way of cooking!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to mention to you, use a crockpot liner. Find by the foil and sandwich bag section of your store. Saves tons of cleaning up.. Just google crockpot recipes or go on Pinterest.. Best to you..
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have a collection of 300 plus if you get me your email address i will forward to you.
  • tanyak1971
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recipes and website information! Everything sounds so yummy! Thanks so much for sharing! I am currently in learning how to watch my calorie, fat, sugar and salt intake for an upcoming weight loss surgery. I definately need to find recipes that are high in protein, but also delicious for the rest of the family. I don't want to force healthy eating on them, but if they are going to make me do dinner then they have to eat whatever I make. :wink:
  • TXGirl78028
    Options
    Saving for later - sounds good. :smile:
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Marking this for the idea's. I love my crockpot too but have few recipes. I start nursing school in a couple weeks and with the kids' extra-curriculars I just might love it even more.
  • tanyak1971
    Options
    That was why I was asking, I start a second job at night and need to have something ready for between 3 and 4 when my daughter comes home from school and hubby from work, so I can eat and run off to work when he gets home. As much as I would love to have sit down dinners at the table, with everyone either working, in school or both, I needed something ready for when ever we all were home to eat.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012/08/50-slow-cooker-recipes/

*adding that all of these recipes can be used while losing weight. For me, it isn't specifically about eating 100% clean or healthy. Yeah, I sub greek yogurt for mayo. But eating right doesn't mean sticking to only what is considered "healthy"
  • DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love my crock pot! My boyfriend and I don't have any specific recipes we stick to per se, but I find my 'recipe' below is pretty flawless.

1) Add a few cups of chopped vegetables tossed with salt and pepper. (The 'sturdier' the better - I like onions, sweet potatoes, squash, peppers, carrots, beets, etc.)

2) Place a protein on top. (Chicken breast, thighs, fish filets, ribs, pork chops, tofu, etc.)

3) Choose a low-cal sauce and dump it in over top. (Salsa or low-cal salad dressings work great for this. The grocery store I go to carries a low-cal peanut satay sauce that is my absolute favourite. Or if you prefer to go sauce-less, just add a few spices and a touch of extra virgin olive oil.)

4) Turn that crockpot on low for 8 hours.

5) Enjoy a perfect meal when you return home from work!

:drinker:
    I do this EXACT thing with spices and extra virgin olive oil!... Doesn't even need much olive oil, is delicious, and low cal!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    saving for later
  • karibear94
    karibear94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! :wink:
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I love my Crock Pot! But I'm restricted as to the recipes because I can't brown or cook anything on the stove first, since my stove is on the fritz.

I don't worry about "healthy" meals, I choose recipes I know I'll like, I try to find ones with a lot of veggies, but portion control is what I'm doing. I cook up a Crock Pot and measure out small helpings and refrigerate them, and bang.. a weeks' worth of meals. And I try to make sure they fit in my calorie allotment.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I love freezer crockpot meals!

Over a weekend, you can prepare several bags. You just put the ingredients in a freezer safe gallon bag and throw them in the freezer. The morning you want to come home to a nice, warm meal, you just dump it all in the slow cooker. Here are some ideas.

http://frugalitygal.com/2014/01/crockpot-freezer-meal-recipes.html

http://www.365ishpins.com/day-85-salsa-chicken-freezer-meal-3/

http://lesbowers.blogspot.com/2014/01/crockpot-heaven.html?m=1
  • arheasn
    arheasn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I make my own chicken stock so I can control the sodium content a bit.

I second the freezer meals idea. About once a month, I spend several hours in the kitchen chopping veggies and chicken and separating into bags for later use. Still have 2 in the fridge for this month.

That turkey chili sounds like a really good one to try this week over the fair with everyone's crazy schedules.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Enchilada Casserole in the crockpot. 3 hrs cooking time on high. If you have Pinterest look it up even if you don't you should still be able to find the recipe. Its a must try. Quinoa, ground turkey, black beans, tomatoes, frozen corn, onions, garlic, seasonings, enchilada sauce and cheese. Very little prep time & its simply delish. Can eat by itself, over a bed of lettuce, make lettuce wraps or put in a tortilla. Very versatile, healthy & delish!