Need some advice

Options
I've been staying under my allotted calories each day, exercising 4-6 days each week and haven't lost much at all. I need a jump start! I have a long way to go and am starting to feel a bit discouraged. I have about 105 lbs to go. Anyone have any tips out there?

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've been staying under my allotted calories each day, exercising 4-6 days each week and haven't lost much at all. I need a jump start! I have a long way to go and am starting to feel a bit discouraged. I have about 105 lbs to go. Anyone have any tips out there?

Just keep at it, what you are doing now is tremendously healthier for you than your previous lifestyle. Plus, your efforts will add up, it is impossible for them not to!
  • alicos
    alicos Posts: 3
    Options
    Stick with it! You your body is gaining muscle from the exercise. Muscle weighs more than fat. Take measurements because you are probably losing size.
  • alicos
    Options
    Stick with it! You your body is gaining muscle from the exercise. Muscle weighs more than fat. Take measurements because you are probably losing size.
  • alliegator89
    alliegator89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If this is your first time exercising that much in a long time then if is possible you are losing fat but gaining back the weight in muscle. If you stick with it the pounds will start to come off. Muscle helps boost your metabolism so you will burn more calories just sitting around than you would w/o the muscle. Just keep it up!
  • alicos
    Options
  • KenMontville
    KenMontville Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    More water might help jump start the process. The time of day you put the last piece of food in your mouth might have an effect, too. I tend to try and stay away from food much after 7:00pm and I really try for 6:30. That gives your body a chance to digest and burn off some of the late day calories. High fiber foods might help flush out the food along with the water.

I'm no expert but it seems to be helping with me.
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    If you are eating too little your body may resist fat loss. Also make sure you are getting the most out of your workouts. They should be intense and involve high intensity intervals a couple times a week. These are short but intense and really up your metabolism.
  • VP72
    VP72 Posts: 89
    Options
    How far under your calorie intake are you? If it's quite a lot you will find it hard to lose the weight as your body will be clinging onto it for dear life as it will be wondering how long it will be before the next food fix. Try as hard as you can to eat your calories every day, but make sure it's something healthy.
    Plus if you exercise too much & are not eating properly you will start to burn your muscle away - which is not good!

Good luck!
    :smile:
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Water and fiber! I have no idea what you're eating, but do make sure that the calories you're choosing are quality calories -- 1200 calories of diet foods aren't going to take the weight off as quickly as 1200 calories of vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, etc. Preservatives and sodium are not your friends!

Be careful, too, about eating back your calories. I do NOT trust the estimates.

Most of all, stick with it. Four pounds is FOUR POUNDS! And I think you just started the beginning of this year, right? Don't compare your loss to Biggest Loser. Check out all their stretched out skin from losing too fast. I personally think you're doing fantastic. =)
  • juleslb
    Options
    I agree with Water and Fibre...and do whatever you can not to get discouraged. They say it takes 21 days to develope a habit and really being healthy is a DIFFICULT habit. I want Dairy Queen Blizzards everyday LOL but I just keep reminding myself that I am the only one that can stand in my own way and I have to put my stubborness to good use to 'beat the bulge'

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not" - unknown

If you think you can't you won't, but all of us on here are going to help support you so keep up the good work! and remember, as my Dad always says, if it's worth doing it's going to be hard but the payoff will be worth it.

Keep it up Girl!!
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement and great advice! I think I definitely need to increase my fiber intake. I'm just used to doing Weight Watchers and this is all so new to me. I want to be sure I'm doing this the right way!
  • niresupernova
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, keep making better decisions and you will be better off long term. You mentioned you were on weight watchers. They always say it is about changing your habits to make healthier choices, you must think of this site in the same way. Loosing one pound per week is much easier to maintain so you don't gain it all back, and 4 pounds this month is impressive!

I try to eat more frequently so that I am not starving throughout the day. Another commenter mentioned that he doesn't eat past 7- I try to do the same. I learned a lot of tricks from weight watchers like eating an apple or fat free low calorie vegetable soup 20 minutes before dinner. Honeycrisp apples are delicious and a great source of fiber!

I don't like yogurt that much, but I try to take probiotic pill every day to keep the plumbing working. CVS or Walgreens sells them for about $4 a bottle and it does the same regulation of your tummy that Activia does, just without having to eat an expensive yogurt everyday.

I have also found that I am significantly less crazy about my weight loss progress if I only weigh myself twice a week. Once is for my actual weigh-in and the other is mid week to check my progress. Good luck to you in all your efforts, and don't get discouraged because you are faboulous and making great progress!!!
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough so your body isn't resisting weight loss. Eat back most of your exercise calories, drink plenty of water and take it easy on yourself, you're doing great :-)
  • julsdolphin
    julsdolphin Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle is a pound and a pound of fat is a pound. The difference between the two is that muscle is leaner and more compact and therefore healthy, while fat takes up more space and is generally unhealthy.

That being said, make sure you are eating enough calories to fuel your body. Eating too few puts your body into starvation mode and it will hold onto the fat (weight) thinking that it needs to preserve it in order to survive.

Drink plenty of water, eat fiber and protein rich foods which help you feel full longer, and make sure you are getting your daily requirement of dairy.

Sustainable, healthy weight loss is a long process, but the benefits are long-term too. Good luck!
  • nodnallynn
    Options
    dont give up, muscle weighs more than fat. keep working out and you will soon see results i joined curves and this website and have lost 5lbs already, My doctor says the longer it takes to come off the longer it will stay off.