Well hello there

Options
I believe it's about time I made an introduction. A little over a month ago, a friend of mine decided that he was going to try and lose some weight. Finding myself a 30 year old man at 6'1" and 281lbs, I figured it was time for me to have a lifestyle change as well.

We both had different approaches to this. He was looking for more of a get slim quick diet whereas I'm trying to go for more of a permanent lifestyle change. He restricted his calorie intake down to under 1000 cals a day, and when that left him too hungry he looked for some other miracle diet. He settled on the Keto diet, which is working for him, but I didn't feel like it was a diet approach I could maintain.

So I turned to MFP, put in my info my info in (incorrectly, at first...only noticed I had selected the wrong gender until I saw that the system refered to me as "her" and chose to lose 2lbs a week. I felt I could afford to lose that much considering my current weight. (Now I read in one of the forum posts that the info may not be super accurate, but it seems to work for me.)

Since then I've been logging my food intake every day to the best of my abilities. Two and a half weeks ago I've joined a boxing gym and have been making an effort to go. (Only managed once a week so far, since my muscles weren't used to be utilized like that...hoping to bring it up to 3 times a week.)

As of this post, I've lost a surprising 23 lbs in 37 days (I only weigh myself once a week, sunday morning), and (knock on wood) I will keep working on dropping the weight. I can tell I've gained some muscle as well, so I believe that's more than 23 lbs fat loss.

Hoping to meet a few good people on here so that we can motivate each other to keep going!

My only regret is that I never took a before picture for comparison.

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Great job...Stick with it. Feel free to add me!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,216 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello there - awesome job on the loss so far! Keep in mind that weight often comes off pretty quickly at first. Don't get discouraged when the losses settle into smaller increments (one or two pounds a week)... and keep in mind that weight loss isn't always linear. You may lose two pounds one week, half a pound the next followed by no losses and then a sudden drop of a few pounds. :) Keep it up! You've got this!
  • Malcreos
    Malcreos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

davis_em, I'm definitely aware that the pounds fly off way more quickly at first. I refuse to let myself get discouraged about this. I've wallowed in self pity too much in my life, so I'm going to shed that trait along with the weight. As long as there is some change, then I'll be content. I'm going to start taking my measurements as of this week as well. No weight loss doesn't necessarily mean I didn't burn off the fat, it could just mean that I've gained an equal amount of muscle to fat loss. That's what I'm going to tell myself anyways!

J-F
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    you're more than welcome to add me!! I'm always on here and love encouraging and help with motivation!
  • SparrowGal2014
    SparrowGal2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great job! And the other posters who also replied! I don't know how to add a ticker or be someone's friend or follower, so any tips are great!

Take a pic now-it's not too late!!!!
  • a9ee9
    a9ee9 Posts: 3
    Options
    Heya, I'm on a similar path, i just got back to dieting after the longest hiatus. Sending request :)
  • 86sooner
    86sooner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, ive been on a similar path. Im 6'4" and 2 years ago i weighed 308 lbs i currently weigh 240. Around a week ago i took my mesurements for the first time and my weight was at 236 lbs. Since then my weight bumped back up to 240 lbs so i was feeling a little discouraged this morning so i checked my body measurement again and i have lost 3.25 inches even though my weight went back up a little.
  • Malcreos
    Malcreos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement and the friend requests! It's surprising how motivating it is to get feedback like this.