Is a 10 lb/month weight loss goal realistic and safe?

Options
I weighed 125 last year, and have ballooned up to 147. I haven't ate properly and have not exercised. Would it be safe for me to amp up cardio/workouts and change my calorie intake drastically until I get back down to my original weight?

Also, is it okay to do a bit of cardio each day? I've started slow with 2 minutes running/2 minutes walking for 30 minutes.

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    no

At your weight you should lose between one pound and 1/2 pound a week.

Go slower and you won't crash and burn.
  • No. You should be losing like 1 to 1 in a half pounds a week. Good luck!
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    10 pounds a month is definitely not safe. You'd have to create too big a deficit numerically which is not good for one's health. Two pounds a week is generally considered the max per week.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, 10lbs/month for you is definitely not safe and completely unrealistic.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    At your weight probably not. A genuinely obese person can sometimes get away with very little lean loss if they create their deficit through activity rather than a starvation diet. I started at 338lbs And lost 3lb per week average for about 12/month while actually making small gains in lean mass (Otherwise known as noob gains).

But you are not yet at that level so you have to be a bit more careful. The goals you suggest will likely have severe health consequences.
  • carnavore
    Options
    Based on your current weight I would say it's not safe. You're not extremely overweight so it's not feasible. Target 1 pound a week, which equals to 4 pounds per month.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe.

I say this because you may initially lose 2-3 pounds water weight, and probably could be active enough to create enough deficit for 1.5 pounds per week. But if you're the sort of person who would be heartbroken to set a goal and fall short then set a more realistic goal such as 5-6 pounds in a month.
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    Realistic- yes ; Safe- probably not
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I weighed 125 last year, and have ballooned up to 147.
    20 pounds isn't exactly "ballooning".
    If you're under 5'5", 147 is in the "overweight" BMI range.
    If you're over 5'8", 125 is in the "underweight" BMI range.
    Anywhere in between, both of those are in the healthy weight range, so don't worry too much about it.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    I haven't ate properly and have not exercised.
    If you haven't eaten properly & have not been exercising, why don't you try getting those under control before you consider something drastic & stupid like trying to lose 1/7 of your body weight in 2 months?

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
    Would it be safe for me to amp up cardio/workouts and change my calorie intake drastically until I get back down to my original weight?
    No.
    You don't have much to lose, so aim for 1/2 pound per week, which would be reducing your calorie intake by 250 cal per day.
    (Perhaps as much as 1 lb per week, which would be 500 cal per day, but don't go below 1200 cal).
    Ignore "net" calories, ignore exercise calories (except for once in a while if you're very hungry, then eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of them).

To lose weight, either take your healthy goal weight & multiply by 10 to get calories,
    or take your current weight, multiply by 10, then subtract 250.
    To maintain weight, multiply it by 15 to get calories.
    Don't go below 1200 per day (total; ignore net).
    Also, is it okay to do a bit of cardio each day? I've started slow with 2 minutes running / 2 minutes walking for 30 minutes.
    Yes. In fact, it's recommended by the CDC.

"...evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity.
    To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would say it's not unsafe to aim for 2 lbs/week if you can add activity to keep your eating around 1200. But I think that it's unrealistic to think you'll achieve it, for 10 weeks straight.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    no, like everyone else has said, 1 lb to 1/2 lb per week is safe and sustainable. you don't want to be miserable. I was also close to 140 when I first started. it took me about 5 months to get back in the 120s.
  • abcgfed
    abcgfed Posts: 26
    Options
    I looked at your diary - please be careful on weekends. When you consume less than 400 calories worth of food but over 900 from alcohol, you put your body in danger. First of all, you shouldn't be consuming so few food calories. Second, your body cannot handle all of that alcohol on a normal day, but especially when it has no nutrients. Try to eat a healthy number of calories throughout the day and limit the alcohol intake. That is not to say you should give up alcohol completely - you just don't need 6 drinks. If you do that too many more times, you will end up in the ER.
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    So why a month? What's the rush?

I would just like to be my pre-weight gain weight, my self-esteem was much better and I felt great, as well. There isn't a rush, I was just curious as to whether or not it was a safe goal.
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary - please be careful on weekends. When you consume less than 400 calories worth of food but over 900 from alcohol, you put your body in danger. First of all, you shouldn't be consuming so few food calories. Second, your body cannot handle all of that alcohol on a normal day, but especially when it has no nutrients. Try to eat a healthy number of calories throughout the day and limit the alcohol intake. That is not to say you should give up alcohol completely - you just don't need 6 drinks. If you do that too many more times, you will end up in the ER.

You're right. The alcohol on weekends is a little out of control. I've been slowly cutting back on alcohol to lose the empty calories. Obviously not Saturday, though!
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    No. You should be losing like 1 to 1 in a half pounds a week. Good luck!

1 in a half? Is that like a 1 inside of a half of something?
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I weighed 125 last year, and have ballooned up to 147. I haven't ate properly and have not exercised. Would it be safe for me to amp up cardio/workouts and change my calorie intake drastically until I get back down to my original weight?

Also, is it okay to do a bit of cardio each day? I've started slow with 2 minutes running/2 minutes walking for 30 minutes.

You gained less than half a pound each week over the course of a year. Hardly 'ballooning'.

See a personal trainer. Cardio isn't necessary every day.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think 5 lbs is more realistic. I weighed 145 when I started and ,my average weight loss was 5 lbs a month.
  • stellaelise
    Options
    No not at your weight. I'd say yes if you weighed 200+. You're safe with 3-4 pounds a month.