Training for a 5K

Options
I would really like to train for a 5k. I have not ran much but it would be a great accomplishment! The problem is I have no idea on how to get started. Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies

• wlund717
    wlund717 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try the program "Couch to 5K" at http://www.c25k.com/
  • CroT
    CroT Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi ya. You're prob better off doing interval training at start. Build up to doing the 5K and switch betwween walking & jogging, building on lengthening the time you spend jogging. Comfy runners are a must also!!!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The very first thing you need to do is get a good pair of shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running (around here we have Run On and Luke's Locker) and have them fit you for a good pair. The wrong kind of shoes or worn out shoes can lead to injury.

Then, the main thing to do is just get out and run. It doesn't matter how far starting off. Just set a goal of being out for 20-30 minutes. Then, do it. You'll have to walk a lot starting out and that's ok. Run 3 minutes and walk 1 for the whole time. Then, work towards running 4 and walking 1. Then, 5/1, etc. Eventually, you will get to where you are running the whole time. Intervals (which is what these are called) work great to build endurance.

Persistence and support are key. Be determined and don't let yourself quit or give up. You'll be amazed what you are capable of. Good luck!!
  • ksar25
    ksar25 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been using the couch to 5k program, I'm on week 3 now. There is also an app for the iphone which is awesome!

http://www.c25k.com/

I hate running, and this program has been good to me-as far as easing me into it. Good Luck! I'm running my first 5K in march!
  • laciedurfee
    laciedurfee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my ipod. that is really helpful. it is called interval runner. works great tells you everything you need to do. :) good luck!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    The very first thing you need to do is get a good pair of shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running (around here we have Run On and Luke's Locker) and have them fit you for a good pair. The wrong kind of shoes or worn out shoes can lead to injury.

Then, the main thing to do is just get out and run. It doesn't matter how far starting off. Just set a goal of being out for 20-30 minutes. Then, do it. You'll have to walk a lot starting out and that's ok. Run 3 minutes and walk 1 for the whole time. Then, work towards running 4 and walking 1. Then, 5/1, etc. Eventually, you will get to where you are running the whole time. Intervals (which is what these are called) work great to build endurance.

Persistence and support are key. Be determined and don't let yourself quit or give up. You'll be amazed what you are capable of. Good luck!!

HEY I'm pretty sure you said exactly what I was going to say! 1. Shoes, 2. Interval training, 3. Support!

:)

I had never run more than a 5K at once in my whole life and on Thanksgiving my friend talked me into a 10K (about half way through running the 5K I had signed up for) and I DID IT! I think a lot of it is mental too :)
  • hendricks1309
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

HEY I'm pretty sure you said exactly what I was going to say! 1. Shoes, 2. Interval training, 3. Support!

:)

I had never run more than a 5K at once in my whole life and on Thanksgiving my friend talked me into a 10K (about half way through running the 5K I had signed up for) and I DID IT! I think a lot of it is mental too :)

Great minds think alike. :)
  • JenabeeRose
    JenabeeRose Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    been thinkin about doing this myself.. I think I'm gonna start the C25K very soon!
  • loricarr73
    Options
    I agree on a good pair of running shoes. Invest! I went to a local running shoe store and had someone tell me what were wrong with my feet and asked where I felt pain when I ran...all I have to say to that is that since I have a good pair of running shoes made just for me has really made my running smooth and painless. No longer do I have pain in areas I had with my old shoes.

Go ro runnersworld.com and/or search online for 5k/10k tips....I am currently training for a 10k (13.1) and was able to find a plan that has put me right where I need to be in....its great! However, before this 10k I was running on my own, I'd run a mile a day 2x a week and on the weekends I would just run whatever I could and track my progress. Eventually I was able to run a lake nearby that is 4.5 miles which is when I decided I was going to push myself for a 10k. The 4.5 mile lake took me several months before I was able to do it without stopping...however signing up for the 10k is what has pushed me to run 3 times a week and longer miles as each weekend I have the long mile runs...I have friends who are avid runners so they have really helped with great tips which has really helped me along the way...I do a lot of research on my own online which has probably been the most help. I do a lot of cross training in between days I dont run. CT can be from brisk walking, dancing at home, stationary bike, even jogging but an EZ jog. I learned a lot on my own...for instance before and after things. Before I run I always make sure to drink water through out the day, walk fast for 10 minutes a quick stretch and then my run. After, especially for those long runs, walk another 10 minutes, really stretch as long as possible, ice pack my legs for a long time (each leg) take a warm shower and occasionally I will take a motrin (on long runs). After my 10 mile for the first time I was able to run 3
    miles the next day and not as sore as i thought I would be. Pay attention to your body and the pains you may get. DO a lot of research to avoid getting hurt! Good luck! You will be so excited when you have accomplished this. I know I was when I ran 6 miles and then 10miles. I can't wait to hit 13miles. I am getting ready for me next two this year. After your first you will be addicited.

Again...GOOD LUCK!
    I have the plan for my 10k and can email it over to you....if you'd like...I am currently ready to run my 12mile this weekend...
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the couch to 5K how are you logging the calories?
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The one I did which was super easy - lost my last 12 lbs and 4 Inches in my booty !

To simplify it here it is.

Week 1 and 2
    2 minute run 4 minute walk (5 times = 30 minutes)

Week 3 and 4
    3 minute run 3 minute walk (5 times = 30 minutes)

Week 5 and 6
    4 minute run 2 minute walk (5 times = 30 minutes)

Week 7 and 8
    5 minute run 1 minute walk (5 times = 30 minutes)

Week 9 and then on! 5 K run (30 minutes approx)

Do it EVERY OTHER DAY ... not ever day. Monday Wednesday Friday Sunday Tuesday Thursday Saturday Monday etc..... It's not over bearing and I lost 4 inches in my butt alone!

My cure for Shin splints is in my sig