Do you take a rest day?

Options
2»

Replies

• JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    If your working out the same muscles everyday then the don't have time to recover properly. Muscles need a break to grow and recover.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I take 2 rest days a week usually Tuesday and Saturday. If i dont i tend to feel weak
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    If you're working out intensely, its important to give your muscles the chance to recover.

That said, for me rest days are more about doing something fun than doing nothing.

I figure that if Im doing anything, it keeps me from becoming restless

tumblr_inline_mjq4leKFnW1qz4rgp.gif

... because when I get bored, I plot mischief...

tumblr_mc9ky20zfv1rvv9gno1_500.gif

.. and when I plot mischief, I rent out a panda suit...

Eoyv0XJ.gif

and when I get a panda suit, I tend to turn into a real mean *kitten*

panda-office.gif

and when I'm an *kitten*, things tend to go up in flames

PHewS97.jpg

no one needs to have that happen... so I choose to do something fun on my rest days
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you're starting to feel run-down then give yourself a rest day. So often people don't want to take a rest day because they're afraid of gaining back weight or losing progress when that's really not the case. If you're gaining weight back after one or two rest days then your nutrition needs some serious focus.

Personally, I take 2 to 4 rest days a week depending on how I feel. I do some intense strength training 3 days per week and then I'll get in some HIIT cardio 2 or 3 days as well depending on how I feel, time, work, etc.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I usually take an active rest day; meaning I still do some type of exercise. I go hiking with my dogs or take my daughter to the pool and swim. I will take on day off a month where I will not exercise at all, just to let my body rest.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    not weight training?? AWAY WITH YOU! (kidding, though seriously add in 2 days of weights at least, your long-term results will be better. It's ok if you want to start out on the elliptical only but eventually hit those weights for better results in body composition)
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I schedule a rest day every week - here lately that's been on a Monday, previously it was Wednesday, but it'll fluctuate again if and when my body tells me otherwise.

That being said I do long hard workouts 6-Days a week and therefore I have to rest one night a week.

My typical workout, Tues-Thurs-Sat, C25K x 40-44 Mins, Elliptical x 18 Mins Leg Weights x 50 Mins w/5 Mins Stretching
    Wed-Fri-Sun = Elliptical x 45 Mins, Treadmill x 18 Mins, Arm Weights x 50 Mins

So I am going hard every night when I am at the gym, and I have nights sometimes when I absolutely CRASH and will literally sleep for 11-12 hours.

These workouts on top of working 8 hours/day and tending to 2 kids, 5 animals + a husband.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I take one when I feel I need it. Generally every 4-5 days or so.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some people take a rest day per week. Some take 2. I personally only take rest days when my body needs it. I can go sometimes weeks without taking a rest day, but usually if I am falling behind on my sleep I will take a rest day and make it a point to get to bed as early as possible. That seems to refresh my nervous system.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Yes usually 1-2 days. I just listen to my body. And I still usually go for a walk so an active rest day and then occasionally as I need it I'll do a total lazy day to relax read a book or just to enjoy the day with my family.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My workouts are full body workouts, so I take "active rest" days every other day during the week, where my only real "exercise" comes from things like walking my dogs or helping my nephew practice for his deck hockey league. On the weekends I pretty much lounge around and do nothing.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 and rest 2 each week.
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    you MUST take a rest day at least once a week. twice if needed so u don't injure yourself. your muscles need to rest. VERY important
  • Twix856
    Twix856 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I rest one day a week. I just let my body tell when it needs a day off.
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I tried to go without rest days for a while and kind of regretted it. The quality of my workout was greatly decreased when I wasn't resting. Now I try not to go more than 4 days without a rest day.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think for some people a rest day means being as sedentary as possible. But for others, it just means you aren't working out. I use my rest day as a no work out, but I am always on the go unless I am horribly sick ha ha
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Since I work all day Fridays and don't want to fight traffic getting to the gym during rush hour, then want to watch Fri. night TV shows, Friday becomes my rest day, but it's not because I want to rest, more because I don't want the aggravation.

If you're feeling good & happy doing cardio every day, do it.
    Weightlifting should generally have a day off in between, to let the muscles repair, grow, & strengthen.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I take 1 or 2 rest days a week dependent on how tired I am.....and even then I bust out some isolation exercises on the dumbbells if the urge gets too much!