Confirm suspicions

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're maintaining, guess what.....you're eating at maintenance. Also, underestimating your intake by a couple hundred calories is pretty easy to do...200 calories is jack ****...it's a small handful of nuts. My guess is in fact, you are eating more than you think you are, but yes...you are eating maintenance obviously.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Get your RMR/BMR measured or listen to your body.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I advise you not to give up on the lifting. Just do what you can do without injuring yourself. Though this does take practice. Basically your muscles are like little calorie engines and you want them to be chugging away as fast as possible. Not only to give you health and bodily strength but to up your bodies calorie demand so you can eat some of the food you enjoy.

And once again yeah Cardio will help a lot too. But I would urge you to tone down the lifting rather than dropping it entirely.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you're not gaining or losing then it's exactly right. You could try adding more calories and see if you still maintain your weight, it's all trial and error till you find what works for you

Good advice. We are all different. Calculators are estimates. Depending on muscle mass, metabolism, activity, we must adjust for what works for us!

Your weight sounds perfect for you! Gives you some wiggle room!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm a slight bit taller than you and a few pounds heavier and when I switched to maintenance I switched to "sedendary" so that I had a basic calorie count for days that I might not be as active aka rest days. My maintenance calories are just over 1600 so that's what I aim for. I tend to not really pay as much attention as I was when trying to lose weight what you might call sloppy but in the end I really don't want to live or die by any scale, food or weight so I'm just going with healthy foods that I enjoy, a few treats here and there and the days I know that treats are going to be on the menu I add a bit more cardio.

As for you neck and lifting, perhaps you could add it some yoga and extra stretching. If you've injured yourself definitely consult a physician but you might find stretching those muscles out will help more than anything and you don't have to give anything up.

Good luck to you, you seem to have your own body figured out for the most part.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you're maintaining, guess what.....you're eating at maintenance. Also, underestimating your intake by a couple hundred calories is pretty easy to do...200 calories is jack ****...it's a small handful of nuts. My guess is in fact, you are eating more than you think you are, but yes...you are eating maintenance obviously.

This.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing weight at the end of December, I went from 150lb to 120lb from May until then and have maintained within +/-2.5lb ever since. I'm 5'3.5. I now log about 1650 calories per day on lazy days and about 1800 on active ones - is that /really/ my maintenance? It seems low. I still measure but admit I'm getting a bit sloppy and mostly just eyeball, also eat out more and guestimate what I'm getting if I can't find an accurate looking entry, could I really be underestimating by 200+ cals daily?

Edit: typo

If you are "guesstimating" and "eyeballing" things, you will never know.

Want to find out?

For about 4 weeks, track your food accurately at 1800 cal / day and see where you end up at.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

This.

200 cals is 1 serving of nuts for the most part.
    or 1 serving of some kind of nut butter
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing weight at the end of December, I went from 150lb to 120lb from May until then and have maintained within +/-2.5lb ever since. I'm 5'3.5. I now log about 1650 calories per day on lazy days and about 1800 on active ones - is that /really/ my maintenance? It seems low. I still measure but admit I'm getting a bit sloppy and mostly just eyeball, also eat out more and guestimate what I'm getting if I can't find an accurate looking entry, could I really be underestimating by 200+ cals daily?

A handful of almonds will set you off 150 - 200 calories. It's pretty easy to go over even if you're eating well and watching your calories. A lot of people are shocked at what their maintenance calories really are. I know we all expect to be able to eat 2000 calories a day like the FDA recommends but that's just a general rounded number. Women typically need 1600 - 2100 calories for maintenance. Of course that varies depending on height and the amount of lean body tissue. You're not going to need 2000 calories a day at your height unless you had a much higher amount of lean muscle.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Since you are maintaining, don't worry so much about the 200+ calories daily unless you see yourself gaining. If you continue to hover at the +/- 2.5 lb then no worries but if you see a gain of say 3.5 lb that stays then cut back a little assuming your goal is to maintain at 120 lb. Ideally you will get to a point of maintaining at 120 +/- 2.5 lb without tracking calories only cutting back if you notice a consistent weight gain of a pound or two.
  • conniegehrt
    conniegehrt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11" and at my goal weight. I don't count exercise calories but do some exercise 6 days a week. I am 64 yrs old. My calorie maintenance level seems to be 1800-1900. At under 1800 I lose a little and at over 1900 I gain a little. Record keeping is the key to figuring this out. I lost over 90 pounds. I weigh and measure my food except when I eat out. Since one pint weighs 1 pound, I don't sweat the +/- 2 lbs. that appears and disappears overnight. I calculate average weekly weight which gives a better indicator of my long term pattern.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't reply to a lot of these boards (because of the drama and misinformation being thrown around like that mythical magical world of "Starvation Mode Land" and those out there saying that 120 lbs for someone at 5’3” is underweight, sheesh {{{FACE PALM}}}).

I am 5’3” and 126 lbs and 36 yrs. old, I’ve been wearing one of those lovely little BodyMedia devices (that they wear on the Biggest Loser to track their calorie burn) for 1 1/2 yrs. now. This tracks calories burned by little sensors that rest on your skin (it is heat and activity sensitive). Through the past 1+ years I’ve closely looked at the results and have noticed that on my days that I just wake up, go to work, make dinner for the kids, drive them to their activities, come home, watch TV, and then go to bed that I only actually burn 1550 - 1650 calories in the day (an no I have NEVER visited the mythical land of “Starvation Mode” to have ruined my metabolism, again {{{FACE PALM}}}), on my more active days (shopping, doing a cycle class, walking around the zoo) I burn between 1850 – 2200 calories, then days that I run (and of course it all depends on duration and intensity) I can burn between 2300 – 2700+ calories. On my rest day after a long run (12 - 15kms) I go right back down to burning the 1550 – 1650 (so my run the day before does not up my calorie burn the day after, this is another mythical land floating around out there that I have yet to visit).

So to answer your question, YES, 1600 calories could actually be your maintenance level if you are not that active in a day (and by active I mean getting that heart rate up). My answer is simply coming from personal experience because of a body burn monitor that I have been wearing for 1+ years. Take from it what you will, good luck, and yes, go for a run, the road misses you :D
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    We actually have a maintainence range not a fixed number. So, after making sure you're logging accurately, try gradually increasing calories (by like 100 a day for a week and so on) - if you eventually gain weight, cut back down till you've found your sweet spot.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I weigh around 105lbs, 5"2 and have a desk job. I maintain on 1570, give or take a 100 cals. I eat exercise cals back and have a HRM and Fitbit. According to my fitbit, i don't hit my 10,000 steps just on a normal every day activity level so on those days it says i need less than 1500 cals to maintain but i still eat the 1570 cals.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I don't reply to a lot of these boards (because of the drama and misinformation being thrown around like that mythical magical world of "Starvation Mode Land" and those out there saying that 120 lbs for someone at 5’3” is underweight, sheesh {{{FACE PALM}}}).

I am 5’3” and 126 lbs and 36 yrs. old, I’ve been wearing one of those lovely little BodyMedia devices (that they wear on the Biggest Loser to track their calorie burn) for 1 1/2 yrs. now. This tracks calories burned by little sensors that rest on your skin (it is heat and activity sensitive). Through the past 1+ years I’ve closely looked at the results and have noticed that on my days that I just wake up, go to work, make dinner for the kids, drive them to their activities, come home, watch TV, and then go to bed that I only actually burn 1550 - 1650 calories in the day (an no I have NEVER visited the mythical land of “Starvation Mode” to have ruined my metabolism, again {{{FACE PALM}}}), on my more active days (shopping, doing a cycle class, walking around the zoo) I burn between 1850 – 2200 calories, then days that I run (and of course it all depends on duration and intensity) I can burn between 2300 – 2700+ calories. On my rest day after a long run (12 - 15kms) I go right back down to burning the 1550 – 1650 (so my run the day before does not up my calorie burn the day after, this is another mythical land floating around out there that I have yet to visit).

So to answer your question, YES, 1600 calories could actually be your maintenance level if you are not that active in a day (and by active I mean getting that heart rate up). My answer is simply coming from personal experience because of a body burn monitor that I have been wearing for 1+ years. Take from it what you will, good luck, and yes, go for a run, the road misses you :D

Very interesting. I am 40 years old, 5'4", about 132 pounds and I also wore a BodyMedia for over a year (stopping when they changed the algorithms and my calorie burns got way over-estimated). In that year, I found that my maintenance calories on a rest day were 2000-2100. I work a desk job and don't move all that much unless I do deliberate exercise. It is fascinating to me that two women of comparable age/height/weight can have such a difference in TDEE.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Very interesting. I am 40 years old, 5'4", about 132 pounds and I also wore a BodyMedia for over a year (stopping when they changed the algorithms and my calorie burns got way over-estimated). In that year, I found that my maintenance calories on a rest day were 2000-2100. I work a desk job and don't move all that much unless I do deliberate exercise. It is fascinating to me that two women of comparable age/height/weight can have such a difference in TDEE.

Absolutely, everyone is so very different from each other (regardless of what some members MFP say), I also have a desk job and 3 very active children. It was suggested to me that I may have a low daily burn and to get one of these devices to more accurately track my burn, activity, etc. Getting this device I was able to confirm some suspicions:

1 - I have a low caloric daily burn 1550 - 1650 (on days without extra exercise)
    2 - my sleep is horribly low (between 4 - 6 hrs a night, and never more than 1 1/2 hrs at a time, some nights I don't even get 30 mins. without waking up)
    3 - my steps taken during the day were awful (sometimes only equaling 2,500 - 3,000 / day)
    4 - my moderate and vigorous activities were almost non existent.

So because of the BodyMedia I've upped my steps (last month I averaged over 13,000 / day), upped my activities (last month I ran a total of 216 kms), and because of all the running I've upped my average daily burn, but like I said, when I take my rest days it drops right off again (I'd post a screen shot of my BodyMedia activity manager but I've tried to post pictures before and have been unsuccessful, I haven't a clue on how to post them, except to my profile), and as for my sleep, nothing is helping that, but 3 out of 4 isn't bad :D
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Those numbers seem reasonable to me. I wear a fitbit for daily activity tracking and use an HRM for workouts, so I have a reasonably accurate idea of my calorie burns. On days I don't work out it's around 1650. When I do workout or am doing a lot of hiking it's 1800-2000 or more. And I'm 5'4". However I'm also 55 which normally means burning fewer calories than a younger person with similar body weight, condition, and activity.