best post workout snacks

Options
This is always the most confusing part to me and everyone always says it really depends on my body, but I can't seem to tell on my own.

What is the best type of post workout snack or drink? I never know if I should have the protein or the carbs before or after a workout. I'm not doing a real intense workout like trying to gain muscle or anything like that. I do about 30-45 minutes of cardio as I just started including exercise in my diet. I'm planning on doing just the elliptical and/or treadmill for a couple of weeks then maybe incorporate a cardio video like Jillian Michaels Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism or 30 day shred, before I include any type of weight lifting.

I've heard drinking chocolate milk is good after a workout, but not really sure how true that is. I'd use the less sugar nesquick powder if I was going to do that.

So just curious what are the foods you eat after a workout? I love whey protein powder and like to include a protein shake in my diet a few times a week, just never sure when the best time is to have it throughout the day.

Replies

• summerstarr
    summerstarr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been told eating a banana after a workout is good for you. I think it's the potassium. I hope this helps! :)
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    what i've seen best results with is a high carb snack about 30 minutes prior to working out, and then high protein right after :]
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    For myself I have a peanut butter sandwich because it has carbs and protein. Plus it's easy to take with me. Also...I must admit I LOVE peanut butter. I think it's really important to eat following a very intense workout. If you are just taking a leisurely walk I don't think eating afterward is necessary.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have been known to have the milk, with the Nesquik, and half a banana with peanut butter. That is my most fulfilling after workout snack. But I also like low fat cottage cheese and fruit. Almonds with an apple is good too. There are a lot of different things you could have. I concentrate on the protein and good for you carbs and fats for after a workout.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'd say the best time to have that protein shake is after the workout. Something with high protein to help with muscle recovery

And I have heard that carbs are good before - for energy.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    For just the light cardio that you are doing, you really don't have to worry much about pre/post workout nutrition. Just eat your regular, scheduled meals throughout the day and you are fine. Everyone is different when it comes to being able to eat prior to a workout. (it could upset your stomach) So, just give yourself the time you need between your last meal and before starting your workout. If eaten an hour or 2 before you workout, those carbs in that meal will give you enough energy for cardio. Then, just have your next scheduled meal as usual. If you are starving after you workout and can't have your next meal then, then a little protein bar or fruit & almonds or something to snack on after.

If you were doing some strenght training or high intensity cardio then you would need worry about replenishing after your workout.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    they say in the commercial that chocolate milk is good because it has a good amount of protein and carbs. But so does regular milk
  • tabbyanny
    Options
    I do a Shakeolody protein shake after every workout everyday as a lunch replacement. If you don't do protein shakes or meal replacement bars, then I would go with a banana and a tbsp or two of peanut butter. Peter Pan brand has a whipped peanut butter that is way low in calories (for peanut butter) and delicious! I've always been told not to eat at least 2 hours before a workout because it depletes your energy levels quickly. I have tested that and it was true in may case. Everyone is different though. You'll just have to try everything until you find what works for you.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    8 ounces of chocolate milk within an hour of completing your workout will give you everything you need and keep you from binging when it's time to eat.
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    I think because it had been awhile since I ate anything before my workout, by the time I was finished my workout I was very hungry! So I tried the protein after a workout idea and the chocolate milk idea... I had a glass of skim milk w/ 1 tbsp of the nesquick 25% less sugar chocolate powder and 1 tbsp of the designer whey weight control chocolate powder. Although it didnt taste amazing combining the two, it did help fill me for awhile before my next meal. I think tomorrow I will have to try eatting a little while before my workout instead of waiting so long.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am thinking the protein after the workout is the best idea so far. It's nice to see the different options people use... I also love peanut butter when I have the fat calories to have some... I like the jiffy low sodium or the skippy natural super chunk... delicious