Gluten and dairy free

Options
sailindani
sailindani Posts: 28 Member
Does anyone have any Gluten AND Dairy free recipes to share??? I get sick of eating the same things over and over. Also any Gluten free or Dairy free products that you think are a MUST.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > Also any Gluten free or Dairy free products that you think are a MUST

eggs
    bacon
    peanut butter
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    My favorite gluten free recipe is:

New York steak, glazed with a little tamari and minced garlic. Then grilled over mesquite.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

eggs
    bacon
    peanut butter

... And bacon!
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For pasta...go the quinoa route...it tastes and has the same texture as traditional pasta (It will seem sticky but it isn't after you toss) Add some roasted tomatoes, squash and zucchini toss with olive oil and fresh basil and you have deliciousness divine. We love it. :)
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Catelli gluten-free spaghetti is very good. Udi's gluten free bread products are good too. I'm in Canada so don't know if they have those brands where you are.
  • sailindani
    sailindani Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    these are great thank you...
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can substituted items like spaghetti squash instead of using noddles, use cauliflower to make a dish similar to baked mac and cheese , also zucchini make a great pizza crust!
    I use almond milk instead of cow's milk and you can find some good dairy free cheeses as well.
    Check out King Arthur's Flour website they sell gluten free mixes for breads, cookies, muffins, pizza crust etc.
    Better Batter is a great all purpose gluten free flour you can order seasoned or not ( I have only found this online)
    If you have a pintrest account there are tons of recipes that are easy to make, it is where I get most of my recipes.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Anything with rice and no cheese.
    Anything with beans and no cheese.
    Anything with corn and no cheese

Add a protein. You're done.

So:

Sushi
    Chicken (or tofu) stir fry with rice.
    Chicken or tofu stir fry with rice noodles
    Fish with tomato sauce over rice
    Roasted potatoes and steak
    Heck - steak frites
    Pretty much any Mexican food without cream or cheese. I don't mean crappy burritos, I mean chicken in mole sauce, beef tips with potato in tomatillo, Pescado a la veracruzana, pork in achiote sauce.
    Polenta - heck, even polenta pizza.

If you think about it, 3/4's of the cultures of the world (i.e. Non-European or their cultural colonies) were developed without cows or wheat. Look at Asian, South American, and African dishes.

I am lactose intolerant and seriously it is hardly a big impediment, unless you actually crave the stuff. I "self diagnosed" when I was 5 years old or so. My parents didn't believe it until they realized I never ate ice cream or other dairy desserts. Then they stopped serving me milk.
  • tailorjoan
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

eggs
    bacon
    peanut butter

• tailorjoan
    Options
    I would definitely add almond butter and almond to the "must have" list.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    sailindani wrote: »
    Does anyone have any Gluten AND Dairy free recipes to share??? I get sick of eating the same things over and over. Also any Gluten free or Dairy free products that you think are a MUST.

It's not a recipe, but I've heard of a device that turns veggies into noodles. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it at hand, but I think it's advertised on television.

• Yummly.com has recipes. My doctor had me try a gluten free, dairy free, no artificial anything, no red meat diet and thought it was going to be tough. One of my fave is
    http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Grilled-Taco-and-Lime-Chicken-for-Tacos-575843?columns=1&position=4/54
  • Thai is also really good.
  • laceyjjj
    laceyjjj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Gidzmo, Vegetti i is what you're thinking of. Really cool gadget.
  • rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-black-bean-brownies/ <-- i make these at work, and they're a really great sweet treat that isn't too bad for you.

i second the vote for a spiralizer (what gidzmo is talking about, just a generic name for the tool). i have this one: http://www.amazon.ca/Paderno-World-Cuisine-Spiralizer-4-Blade/dp/B00AW3B5MM + use it to make zucchini noodles instead of pasta noodles. super delish and it means i get to eat a huge heaping bowl of pasta with marinara sauce for only 300 calories.

sweet potatoes stuffed with black beans and spices are a really great make-ahead meal that can be a side or a main. here's a recipe but obviously you can modify to your needs: http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/fully-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/12094/

ooh, also, rice paper rolls are delicious, light, AND super-modifiable - this is the first recipe i found online, but i make em vegetarian and they're still amazing. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Shrimp-Rice-Paper-Rolls-with-Vietnamese-Dipping-Sauce-107683
    you can get really creative with these, and if you have an asian market in your area the ingredients are crazy cheap. i paid $1.50 for my packet of wraps, and they're shelf stable.
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use coconut milk in my homemade cream soups in place of cow milk or cream. Not the coconut milk in the rectangle containers like the almond milk. The thick, creamy kind in the cans.
    Use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth in soups and stir fry.
    VH1 soy sauce is now gluten free.
    Vega protein plus greens protein powder in vanilla or chocolate.
    There is a brand of goat cheese I can handle. Its not soft but a hard brick cheese and marble. Tastes just like cow cheese. Its local so don't know I'd you have that there.
    Just Oats whole grain rolled oats. Gluten free and wheat free. Or Bob's Red Mill gf oats.
    Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Soy, gf, dairy free!! Yummy.
    Udi's gf bread for those times when you just need some bread!
    Flaxseed and chia seeds in smoothies and use as thickeners.
    Cornstarch as thickener in my stir fry.
    New Roots pasta. Made from quinoa, amranth and brown rice I think.
    Crunch master crackers or rice crackers.
    I'm in Canada so Zehrs and Loblaws grocery stores have their store brand gf breaded chicken with quinoa. Good for nights I don't want to cook. Just throw in the oven and eat with salad or veggies or on gf toast!
    These are my staples!!