My hips won't lose anymore weight?

Options
bnmoyler
bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
So my workout routine consists mainly of running. I run anywhere from 2-3.1 miles per day 4 days per week. I'm doing some basic weights targeting mostly my arms, chest, and back. It's working and I am losing weight. I've lost approximately 14 lbs since January. However, it's only in my thighs, waist, buttox, and stomach. My hips will not budge. They were already large but now I just look awkward. They look way out of proportion. What can I do to fix this problem? I'm really started to get frustrated. In the beginning they were trimming down.

Replies

• spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there is no absolute way to spot reduce (aside from medical procedures). Some areas slim faster than others- for me it was my face and waist, but my inner thighs and upper arms are still flabby. They're slowly coming down, but it's been a while and they're definitely in last-place.

If your hips are still squishy, it'll start to work its way off of those, too. You've come this far... what's a little further for some more progress? :flowerforyou: Keep it up!!
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    How much do you still have left to lose? I have the same problem but I still have 20 lbs to lose. The hips and butt are always the last one to go.So just keep doing what you are doing until the fat comes off the desired areas
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I can't offer you a lot of advice, but I can tell you that based on your picture you look very proportionate--not awkward at all. It could be that your body has a tendency to store weight in your hips & that will be the last place you lose. It could be that your body structure is just to have larger hips. Unfortunately, there is no way to spot reduce. Since you are losing & seeing results in other places, you are on the right track if & there is still excess to lose on your hips, it will go away eventually. In the meantime, try not to obsess over it. You look great!
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Since you are losing & seeing results in other places, you are on the right track if & there is still excess to lose on your hips, it will go away eventually. In the meantime, try not to obsess over it. You look great!

This^^! As women, I think many of us tend to store fat around our hips... I agree tho', you look pretty great to me!! I understand your feeling - I've had big hips since I was about 10 ... (lol) but I:m learning to love the curves and celebrate the losses. Keep on!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Keep reducing. It may be that this is the last place it is willing to come off. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Wait! What? You look like a perfect hourglass to me. You look great.

If you want to keep toning up your rear, try squats and deadlifts.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have an hourglass figure and store weight on my hips, and they're always the last place I lose from, but it does go.

After my 2nd child I never thought they'd get smaller, but they did and I was wearing clothes I hadn't been able to wear for 10 years. I did a combination of personal training, boxercise, spinning, aerobics, core stability, Zumba, step etc.

I'm now losing weight after my third baby and again I've stored weight on my hips and have about 5 inches to lose (3 months post partum now). I guess that's normal in pregnancy for most women. I'm back doing lots of classes and gym sessions. I hope I lose as well as I did after my last baby! I'm kind of losing weight from the top down, off my face, shoulders, chest etc.

So, just keep going, it'll come off eventually.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much weight you have left to lose as well as your genetics. Some people, like me, are pear-shaped; no matter how much weight I lose I still store more weight in my hips, thighs, and butt than the average woman. You don't seem to have that shape, for one thing, you have a bust. Because I am very pear-shaped and not technically overweight, I avoid weight work on my lower half because weights would only make me bigger and more disproportionate. I should add that this is a personal choice: some women shaped like me love weights, especially squats, and are very proud of their large hips and thighs, which show the results of their work.

Watch your development and if your hips and thighs continue to increase and you don't like it, look at the exercises you're doing that would build up those areas and do fewer or eliminate them.
  • Verdenal
    Options

If your body stores more fat in those areas than average even when you're trim, weight work will make you look bigger.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options

If your body stores more fat in those areas than average even when you're trim, weight work will make you look bigger.
    ... No. Get out.
    Weight work will improve the underlying musculature.
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It seems when I lose weight, the first thing to go are - of course - my boobs. I have always been big hip/butt and so I'm use to them always being big. Since I lost weight, they got smaller - but are still much bigger than what I would like. Women always tend to carry extra weight there. Be proud of your hourglass figure. You look fabulous!!

My problem, since I got older are my arms (bat wings or bingo arms). I can't find an exercise that I like to get rid of them. Any suggestions?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I can't offer you a lot of advice, but I can tell you that based on your picture you look very proportionate--not awkward at all. It could be that your body has a tendency to store weight in your hips & that will be the last place you lose. It could be that your body structure is just to have larger hips. Unfortunately, there is no way to spot reduce. Since you are losing & seeing results in other places, you are on the right track if & there is still excess to lose on your hips, it will go away eventually. In the meantime, try not to obsess over it. You look great!

^^^This. Keep up what you're doing and it'll happen. You look fantastic.
  • RadRac01
    RadRac01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Weight work doesn't bulk you up if you're female. The women who bulk have to train VERY long and VERY hard and take all sorts of supplements and reduce their body fat percentage to near nothing to bulk up. Womens' muscles are lithe and lean and doing weight work will only make you a stronger and more fierce version of yourself.

If you don't want to bulk, continue lifting and being your awesome self.

If you want to bulk, continue being your awesome self, but lift hard, watch all your macros, consult a physician, and take the recommended supplements....

In either case, keep being awesome.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    Seriously. Weight work doesn't bulk you up if you're female. The women who bulk have to train VERY long and VERY hard and take all sorts of supplements and reduce their body fat percentage to near nothing to bulk up. Womens' muscles are lithe and lean and doing weight work will only make you a stronger and more fierce version of yourself.

If you don't want to bulk, continue lifting and being your awesome self.

If you want to bulk, continue being your awesome self, but lift hard, watch all your macros, consult a physician, and take the recommended supplements....

In either case, keep being awesome.

That's not what I said. I didn't say weight work bulked women up like body builders. I said it makes them BIGGER. ANY body part to which you apply weight work will get bigger. I have almost no fat in my shoulders. When I work out, my shirts are tighter because of the muscle development.

If it's an area in which your body naturally stores fat and you're trying to slim down the results may not be to your liking. For some women, it's a problem to go up even an inch or two in hip size.
  • Verdenal
    Options

... No. Get out.

That is is simply not true for everyone. Your musculature ultimately is dictated by your genetics.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

... No. Get out.

I doubt my hips would've got so much smaller without weights work! I think all the squats, lunges, weights etc helped loads.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    ... No. Get out.

That is is simply not true for everyone. Your musculature ultimately is dictated by your genetics.
    It it true for everyone. "Improving" doesn't mean smaller for everyone, no, but it always develops the muscle (but not necessarily where they store fat -- not sure if that's what you meant to say).

Size is of course determined by genetics, but if she has fat or flab there, reducing her overall body fat would be her best option, and weight training is a wonderful way to do that (while maintaining a moderate calorie deficit).

Don't fear monger women into NOT weight training by telling them building muscles will make them big.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ... No. Get out.

It it true for everyone. "Improving" doesn't mean smaller for everyone, no, but it always develops the muscle (but not necessarily where they store fat -- not sure if that's what you meant to say).

Size is of course determined by genetics, but if she has fat or flab there, reducing her overall body fat would be her best option, and weight training is a wonderful way to do that (while maintaining a moderate calorie deficit).

Don't fear monger women into NOT weight training by telling them building muscles will make them big.

Bravo. Weight training has slimmed me down in ways I thought I'd never see again. And yes, I've lost inches, especially in my hips/glutes.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'm an artist. I paint portraits and know all about correct proportions. A woman's hips should be either the same width or slightly wider than the shoulders. Yours are ideal. Also, the waist measurement ideally would be .7 of the hip measurement. I can't tell that from a photo, you'd need a tape measure, but yours looks pretty close.
  • bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I probably have about 13 more lbs to go. I think you're right that's it's the last. It seems like my lower stomach, hips, and upper rear fat are all connected. Hopefully that combination will the the final 13.