why cant i just do it?

Options
obviously i want to lose weight, its why i signed up for mfp, ive got high blood pressure and losing weight will help so i get up in the morning raring to go, eating within my cals until its night time and the dreaded phrase pops up..

"i'll start again tomorrow"

and the snacking starts..i feel sofrustrated after i do it, with all this said the obvious thing to do would be just dont snack, righht?

so why the **** can i just stick to something?? does anyone else do this? how did you break the snack habit?

Replies

• Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat snacks, just control how much you eat. Track it, and eat a reasonable portion. Dieting doesn't necessarily mean restricting or completely cutting out our favorite foods. It means controlling our portions. And if you exercise, that's even better because then there is more room for your favorite foods and snacks.

If your snack is coming out of a bag or box, just read the nutrition label and see what one portion is and how many calories it is. Just eat one portion, track it, and put the box/bag away. I find it helpful to put my snacks in a separate plate, put the bag away, and sit in the dining room or living room to eat it. This way, I am not eating straight out of the bag. It's easier to not over eat.

So remember, snacking is ok in moderation.
  • thinsports
    Options
    Open up your diary, maybe we can give you some ideas to help you out :)
  • epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You joined in April, right? Think about the progress you could have made in those 4 months. Think about how amazing you'd feel right now!

Okay, now stop thinking about it... and think about how you will feel tomorrow or today after sticking to your recommended calorie intake. Imagine that huge sense of "YESSSS" (haha, that's what I was like after my first day of logging on MFP! :bigsmile: ).

Now imagine how amazing you'll feel after a week of logging sensibly...

And then imagine how great you'll feel after logging for a month (I've DEFINITELY had a few slip ups during my time on here so please don't think a "red calorie" day is the end of the world!)

Then a few months...

Oooh, and before you know it, 4 months will have gone by, you'll feel a hell of a lot better about yourself just because YOU CAN DO IT. And you've proved that you can do it... you'll be lighter too and full of energy!

One thing I WILL say before you start, however... open your diary up so the public can see it! Also, make sure your calorie deficit is sensible... I get super grouchy if I eat under 1400 calories a day!

Time to realise that you can just do it. Not only that, you can start now... do you want to? :bigsmile:
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Eat less during the day in order to have spare calories at night to fit your snacks in it!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    obviously i want to lose weight

Obviously not bad enough. It's not that you can't do it, it's that you won't. None of us can tell you why or how to fix it - that's something you have to figure out on your own. Some of us eventually get to the point where we want it bad enough to do something about it and actually stick to it and some of us never get to that point. It's all up to you - you either want it or you don't. If you want it bad enough, you'll do something about it.

I eat 6 times per day - there's nothing wrong with snacking. It's the amount of calories you're consuming that's causing you to gain weight.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Actually I think you should either eat more total daily calories, perahps your cutting your calories too low, too fast; or eat more calories earlier in the day and less at night.
    I have the same problem you do. My will power is great all day long but at night it goes right out the window and I want to eat everything not nailed down. So I tried upping my total calories which has helped ALOT. I'm not so afraid to be "over my calories!!!" OMG! and relax a bit. I also try to eat a larger breakfast. Which helps so I'm not so hungry throughout the day and have more energy.
    I hope these suggestions help as they have helped me
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    obviously i want to lose weight

Obviously not bad enough. It's not that you can't do it, it's that you won't. None of us can tell you why or how to fix it - that's something you have to figure out on your own. Some of us eventually get to the point where they want it bad enough to do something about it and actually stick to it and some of us never get to that point. It's all up to you - you either want it or you don't. If you want it bad enough, you'll do something about it.

I eat 6 times per day - there's nothing wrong with snacking. It's the amount of calories you're consuming that's causing you to gain weight.

This...

If you want it you will grab it and take it...

When you want it bad enough you will do it.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Who brings in the snacks you eat at night?

If you have any control over it, try not to have anything around until you get a better grip on your eating.
    Moderation is key, but if moderation isn't happening right now, cut out the snacks and try again after you get a good start.

If you can't lay off the snacks and can't ban them from the house, go to bed. Seriously, if you've met your calorie goal and don't have any other obligations for the day, call it early and get some rest.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    There is no tomorrow. All you have is today. Make it count.

Also, you have some great data points up until now (have you been tracking all the snacks?) This will help you figure out what to do differently. Have you been low on protein and fat during the day? Do you need to save some calories for evenings (already mentioned)? Are your goals too high? Maybe change them to lose 1lb/week for now, it's better than what you are doing. Do you need to learn some distraction/stress release techniques? You can do this, but you need to figure out why you're not doing it.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've been there, and not to be brutal, but you get out of your journey what you put into it.

If you can't stop snacking at night, stop buying the foods that tempt you or make sure you are busy at that time of night, maybe take a walk?

Try drinking a glass of water and wait 20 minutes. If you are still genuinely hungry, you probably need to eat. Grab some fruit or a small handful of nuts.

Learn to know what your triggers are and you can learn to deal with them before you lose control.

For me, logging all my meals and snacks the day before has helped me stay on track better.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    obviously i want to lose weight, its why i signed up for mfp, ive got high blood pressure and losing weight will help so i get up in the morning raring to go, eating within my cals until its night time and the dreaded phrase pops up..

and the snacking starts..i feel sofrustrated after i do it, with all this said the obvious thing to do would be just dont snack, righht?

so why the **** can i just stick to something?? does anyone else do this? how did you break the snack habit?

How many pounds are your trying to lose a week? Is there any way you can set your calories per day to be less of a drastic cut?

I've found that trying to be too restrictive with calories ends in binging. Setting my goal to a half pound or a pound a week makes me actually successful.
  • jimjam3782
    jimjam3782 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling. Its hard at times, but you can do it if you want it bad enough! Keep trying and moderate your snacks! I recommend maybe getting a box of snacks, each snack portioned out already (like pretzels or even Oreos) by 100 calories. They (the food makers) do this with chips, pretzels, and other snacks. Maybe take 1 or 2 of those to a different area and snack there, as has been said earlier. Also, Fiber One has brownies that come in 90 calorie pouches. Just a few suggestions. I'm restarting down this road too after a TREMENDOUS weight gain. I've got your back! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    so why the **** can i just stick to something??

I bet there are already lots of things in your life you don't like doing that you "stick" with.

So the first step is to realize it's not about "motivation" - it's about choice.

When you're ready to do this - you will.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm a late dinner eater and a night time snacker, but I've discovered I hate to eat after exercising. So, now I eat dinner and about 2 hours later (9pm or so) I go to the gym. I hate going that late, but I don't have any other time during the day any way. Once I get home I just want to drink a ton of water, shower, and go to bed.
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, maybe we can give you some ideas to help you out :)

^^^^This^^^
  • RadRac01
    RadRac01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here's a few questions: How good are you at doing favors for other people? How often do you forgive others? Are you capable of that?

There is a great concept I read about on reddit called the 3 selves. It's from a concept called No Zero Days. Your past self, your current self and your future self.

Your past self is the old you. Forgive your pas self for any missteps. You will feel better for it. We can often be our own worst critic, and constantly blaming yourself is making it harder to accomplish what your current self wants to accomplish. So start by forgiving your pas self so that your future self can do what it needs to do.

Your current self is who you are right now. Do the things you need to do, whether that be choosing healthier snacks or really sticking to your diary so you know what you're eating. As your current self, do favors for your future self. You said you're good at doing favors or helping others right? Well do your future self a favor and choose that apple or have a few almonds instead of the chips. When you do favors for yourself you are able to make your actions have more meaning, because you are doing a kindness for "someone else." That way, you are always moving forward and always doing good in the world, and you are starting it with you.

Your future self is who you will be. Do you want to feel better in the future and be healthier? Great! Give thanks to your past self for making better choices and for doing favors for the future you.

By focusing on forgiving your past self, doing favors for your future self, and thanking your pas selves for all the great things you've done, you are completing a full cycle. Had a bag of chips? Fine. Forgive yourself and move on. Had a weekend of binging? Today is a new day, forgive your past self and do your future self a favor by having a healthy breakfast. Want to try and feel great tonight? Do your future self a favor and have a huge glass of water and a few almonds or a salad for lunch. Then your future self can reflect on the day and say thank you for all the good you've done.

Once you get a few weeks down of this it will be no sweat. But just remember, there will always be ups and downs, because that's how life goes. The key is to keep moving forward and making YOU the most important part of the process...because you'll never make it without your help. :)
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The temptation to snack at night is a very strong one... and a VERY hard habit to break. That being said, stay focused and stay strong just for one night. When you think about grabbing something to eat and the idea of "i'll start tomorrow" starts to surface tell yourself that you can do this just for one night...

Once you do it once, the second time is easier and then the third is even easier. Eventually, it just becomes habit and then you don't have to fight with yourself anymore.

I used to try to save a portion of my calorie allowance for evening snacks, but I learned that it is harder for me to stick to a specific and portioned snack than it is is for me just to not eat after dinner. Once I start eating it's easy to keep going rather than just sticking to a solid no food policy.

Also, I brush my teeth before I sit down to watch TV for the evening. If I start trying to convince myself that I should have a snack, I drink herbal peppermint tea.

It doesn't work 100% of the time, but most nights I am able to keep my inner snacker in check.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I had to literally quit buying snacks. I don't keep anything snackable in my house because I can't control myself either. It drives my kids crazy but they don't need all that stuff either.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

If you are tired of starting over, you have to stop giving up.
    The only one who can make the change is you, make the decision to stop making poor choices and stick with it, it gets easier with time.

Also, every time I hear someone say that they "can't" do something I just insert the word "won't", because it's the truth. You can do anything that you want you just have to WANT to do it.

EDIT: What she said... V V V.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it. You just don't want to. You have to want it and be committed 100% (which you clearly aren't right now).