need ideas for 1200 calories

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some quick and easy meal ideas to meet my calorie intake of 1200. i'm trying to lose 2 lbs per week and was successful with weight watchers at one point, but i'm trying to stay away from frozen meals. I just need some guidance on what to eat for lunch and dinner. any sample meal plans out there anyone can share?

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200/day!

Here's what I had today:

Breakfast : 305
    coffee
    luna bar

lunch : 285
    Salad with red leaf lettuce, tomato, mushroom, cucumber, 2 table spoons of lite balsamic

Snacks:
    cottage cheese and blueberries 151
    brownie 128

Dinner : 278
    Same salad except with a can of tuna and a little bit of shredded mozzarella

I burned 202 doing cardio (I don't count weight training) so I have 330 calories to look forward to for desert! Yum! Stoneyfield organic frozen yogurt, 100 calories for a half cup.
  • tashfashion
    tashfashion Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
    I'm worried that 1200 isn't going to be enough to feel full but I may try the salad idea and add ground turkey..
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm on 1200 net calories per day.

today for breakfast i had 1/3 cup oats made with 2/3 cup non-fat milk (i hold a little of the milk back to put on the oatmeal when it's hot), cinnamon and sweetened with stevia. unsweetened oats are good for you. they're a clean complex carb with almost no fat but fiber to help keep you feeling full. they're also cheap.

fage 0% non-fat yogurt is something i use a lot. it's high in protein, fat free and has few carbs. i add newman's light italian plus tons of dill and pepper and eat it as a dip. i mix it 2 parts yogurt to 1 part avocado, add lots of dill, lemon juice, salt substitute (salt will work) and pepper or with salsa. then eat with baked or garden of eatin organic blue corn tortilla chips. i also just eat it as yogurt, and make salad dressings with it. sometimes i eat 3 ounces as a protein boost between meals.

a 5.3 ounce (before baking) potato is less than 170 calories, high in carbs, fiber and vitamin c. then a tablespoon of balade light butter and 2 or 3 Tb of daisy light sour cream, top with pepper and enjoy.

honestly you can eat any food you want, just control the amounts by weighing your servings. 1 serving of pasta is 200 calories. you can pour sauce on it, light sour cream with all sorts of spices or just add a teaspoon of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of parmesean and toss. you can make a serving of rice for 200 calories, then mix in steamed veggies with the sauce of your choice. or barley makes a delish cold salad with some chopped celery and other veggies, then drizzle with a light creamy dressing.

i'm a vegetarian, so some of what i eat may not work for you, but there's always a slice of tasty sour dough bread (or in my case half a slice) with trader joe's light mayo plus a slice of sargento reduced fat swiss.

galeo's ginger wasabe dressing is delish, and is good on a wide variety of foods to liven them up. it's lower in sodium and fat than most dressings, and it's my fave.

i eat a single serving of archer farms lower salt potato chips or rice thins (1 weighed ounce) when i'm out or in a rush, along with some yogurt or cheese or dip.

and check out the 40 calorie brownies in the recipe section of MFP! yum! i'm going to try and add protein powder for more protein, but the greek yogurt does make it pretty decent if you have a couple servings.
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
    I'm worried that 1200 isn't going to be enough to feel full but I may try the salad idea and add ground turkey..

I thought the same and while I have to admit the hunger I experience before my meals is WAY MORE INTENSE, I'm just trying to deal with that. I find that the food I'm allowed to eat is completely enough. I seriously have a desert every night. Sometimes it's only like...pineapple, but I've learned to cherish fruit. I somehow was able to fit in a brownie and a half pint of frozen yogurt today because I had 2 salads...I don't recommend always eating 2 salads. I'm lazy.
  • mommysews67
    mommysews67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 calories. I do some exercise every day but don't often burn many calories. Anyway my diary is public so you can see what I eat and maybe get some ideas
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:

2 eggs, 2 slices Sara Lee 45 calorie bread with a little butter

Morning snack:

Apple

Lunch:

3-4 oz lean meat, 1/2 cup brown rice, veggies

Afternoon snack:

Protein shake or 15 almonds

Dinner:

3-4 oz lean meat, 1 small sweet potato, veggies

Late night snack:

100 calorie popcorn
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    No idea, but good luck. 1200 calories a day would make me mad with hunger.
  • mcaila
    mcaila Posts: 33
    Options
    I recently discovered Joseph's flax & whole wheat pitas which are only 60 cals a pita and pretty filling. I'll sometimes pair one with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (35 cals) for a pretty low calorie snack or lunch. Today for dinner I made some fresh spring rolls which were pretty easy to make - just wrapped up some chopped veggies, cilantro and shrimp in a rice paper wrapper with some peanut sauce for dipping. Overall it was pretty easy to make, delicious & low-calorie.
  • incogneato
    incogneato Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have become a huge fan of lettuce wraps. There are tons of recipes online for asian lettuce wraps made with ground turkey, or "taco" lettuce wraps made with shredded chicken and taco toppings. Taking away the tortilla or rice or whatever carb usually goes with the meal really lowers the calorie count while still leaving the meal with veggies and protein. For breakfast I usually have scrambled eggs with 1-2 whole eggs, then some egg whites, topped with fresh salsa. Salads are good ut I need some protein and filling toppings added to be satisfied, like some chopped avocado, beans, meat, etc.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

This!! ^^^

I like food to much. :bigsmile:

You know you can lose weight with eating more, just thought I throw that out there. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

ME too!

Trying to lose fat and KEEP muscle....1200?.....no thanks
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary for ideas. <.< There are some days I've exercised a ton though, but I ate back those calories for snacks. It might help.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at sticking to 1200 calories and I never go hungry. Take a look at my diary for ideas!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    More food is an idea.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

ME too!

Trying to lose fat and KEEP muscle....1200?.....no thanks

Way to hijack someone's thread with your $.02.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I do 1200+exercise, and my diary is open - feel free to browse / add if you want! :flowerforyou:
  • tashfashion
    tashfashion Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I thought the same and while I have to admit the hunger I experience before my meals is WAY MORE INTENSE, I'm just trying to deal with that. I find that the food I'm allowed to eat is completely enough. I seriously have a desert every night. Sometimes it's only like...pineapple, but I've learned to cherish fruit. I somehow was able to fit in a brownie and a half pint of frozen yogurt today because I had 2 salads...I don't recommend always eating 2 salads. I'm lazy.

have you lost any weight yet? What are you doing for excersie? ?
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

have you lost any weight yet? What are you doing for excersie? ?

I started June at 162/163 and am now 149 the first week of August. I started at 1500 calories and dropped it to 1200 sometime in July.

For exercise I circuit train and learn heavy/free weight stuff with a trainer. Besides that, spin once a week, maybe zumba once a week, and 10-30 minutes of the stair master after every weight training session. 5-6 days of gym in the week. You'll still lose weight without all that but you'll look more toned and nice with it.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is actually quite a bit higher than 1200 but there have been days when I only ate 1200 - 1300 and felt satisfied. (Full disclosure: my real goal is 1730 and if I move I eat more, but if it's an entirely sedentary day I have eaten much lower. Most days I eat between 1650-1700 -- over my personal BMR by a bit but below my personal TDEE).

In my house, we eat a lot of egg whites, roasted or raw vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, brussels sprouts, sweet peppers, cherry size tomatoes), apples, grilled chicken, roasted turkey breast (not lunch meat - "turkey roast" - we cook them on weekends, slice them and have them on hand for the week), mixed tree nuts, baby greens for salads, salsa for salad dressing, even peanut butter. You can eat a TON of those kinds of vegetables for very few calories. We also get the 100 calorie 100% whole wheat sandwich rounds for sandwiches if we want one - I make egg white sandwiches for breakfast sometimes and it comes out to somewhere between 150-180 calories depending on whether or not I chop up some bell pepper and onion and make an omelet sandwich.

Note: if you want to aim for 1200 calories, make sure it's net calories - so when you exercise you should eat back the calories you burned to move. You'll still have a caloric deficit and it'll provide you with the energy you need.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Today I Ate:

Breakfast: Coffee / 1/8 cup unsweetened almond milk / baked apple / egg beaters = 220 calories

Lunch: Tofu / sauteed green beans & red bell pepper / seasoning = 316 calories

Snack: Mini Apple / Fage Greek yogurt = 197 calories

Dinner: Lite Life Vegan Chicken on romaine lettuce / 1 1/2 cup zucchini / chopped peppers / seasoning = 268 calories

Snack: oatmeal / apricot = 197 calories

total: 1.198 calories