why cant i just do it?

Options
2»

Replies

• BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have had high blood pressure for 25+ years. I started MFP (and did what needed to be done) 6 weeks ago. I have been off Blood pressure medication for 2 weeks and have normal BP now.
    Here is what 6 weeks of doing this gave me:
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find that, if I have an insatiable urge to snack at night, it's probably due to one of the following:

a.) I didn't eat enough filling, healthy food earlier in the day. If I pack lots of fruits/veggies and lean proteins in my day, my body generally isn't craving a lot of crap at night, because my nutritional needs have been met.

b.) I haven't been hydrating well enough. When you get the urge to snack, drink a full glass or two of water first, and then see how you feel.

c.) I'm tired. Being tired ratchets up my cravings for junk. Answer: go to bed early instead of eating.

d.) I'm bored or acting out of habit. If this is the case, find something else to do that doesn't allow you to sit there and snack. Go for a walk. Do something involving your hands. I like to crochet, which makes it impossible for me to simultaneously shove things into my face.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    All I can say is ... I get it and if you can't defeat it accommodate it.

I hate to hear the all or nothing statements - if you truly are struggling then I would find the compromise.

I think hearing "you just don't want it bad enough" would just make me say "ok, maybe you're right. I'll just quit." But I don't relate well to all the passionate talk. It always sounds like empty hype to me.

Look for your why and then look for a way to stop or accommodate it until you are ready to change or you have found a way to include it. I snack at night. I exercise at night. I'm a night person though. I eat light through the day because I prefer that and then I eat more at night when I want it. It's not broken and I'm not fixing it. And yep, some days I don't want it anymore, but allowing myself to be imperfect allows me to keep moving forward after a bad meal/evening/day. I do my best and it's not perfect and it's not "all or nothing." All or nothing is how I got this big - because if I couldn't get it right I just thought I couldn't do it.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    To echo many of the other sentiments in this thread, you can do it. You just won't. Can't means physically unable i.e. I can't lift a Mercedes over my head. Won't means refusal i.e. I won't eat mayonnaise out of a jar.

Quit making excuses and take some personal responsibility.
  • L0te
    L0te Posts: 14
    Options
    Controlling snacking is obviously important, but I recognize that I'm a night eater, and that's probably never going to change. I often budget my calories so that I have some left for the evening so I can eat! Knowing I can have a late night snack in my daily budget prevents me from going overboard. Using this, you can wean yourself off of late night too often-- once you see how much less you get to eat during the day depending on how much you save, it tends to even out.
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth when my kids do so that I am less likely to snack at night. I also come on MFP to read a few motivating posts to keep me in it. Also, the suggestion to just go to bed is a good one! Most of us could use the extra sleep by going to bed early now and then. I also weigh myself daily. I think about how extra food that I put in my belly at night will affect the scale the next day. If I absolutely need something, my husband and I will usually make smoothies... plain greek yogurt, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, low cal almond milk and either splenda or a little homemade jam. Its a huge filling smoothie for about 125-150 calories. You can do this!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    There's plenty you can do to help control this:

You can work with the snacks:
    1. save calories for a bedtime snack
    2. pre-portion snack foods in baggies or bowls so that you can grab just 1 and know how many calories are in it. I mark the calories on mine with a sharpie sometimes.
    3. make sure healthy snacks within your calorie budget are readily available, like hard boiled eggs, deli meats, fruit with small amounts of peanut butter, etc.
    4. try eating dinner later and see if that curbs it

Or avoid the snacks:
    4. take a walk or do some sort of indoor cardio before bed so that you will be tired and not feed like snacking
    5. brush your teeth
    6. take a long bath
    7. pin photos of you when you were thinner, or photos of your ideal body, on your fridge so that you have to look at them when you open it.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My worst time was at night. It did not matter how much dinner I ate, I had to have my snack at night. It wasn't portioned, it was straight from the box or the bag.

You may not be ready...I mean really really ready. After all, you will be giving up something that you look forward to every night. When I finally was ready, I decided to just let myself go to bed early. Get a good book, and a glass of water and just go to bed. After a year of giving this snack time up, I look back and wonder how I ate so much before bed all the time. Here is an article to read: It has some good points. Good luck!

http://jillfit.com/2014/08/04/craving-solution/
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You get up in the morning raring to go so use that to your advantage. Get in a walk in the morning, it's good for your heart. Preplan your day, fix containers with breakfast, lunch, dinner and allowable snacks and enter them all into your diary. As your day goes on you'll be seeing the healthy foods going into your body and when the containers are empty they're empty, you want more to eat that means you have to earn it, go for another walk, do a few sit ups.

To avoid the snacking chew gum, brush your teeth, paint your nails because who wants to ruin a freshly painted nail, these things really do work. My guess is you snack at night because it's a habit, it takes 3 weeks to make a new habit so it's going to take a while to break a habit.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You joined in April, right? Think about the progress you could have made in those 4 months. Think about how amazing you'd feel right now!

Okay, now stop thinking about it... and think about how you will feel tomorrow or today after sticking to your recommended calorie intake. Imagine that huge sense of "YESSSS" (haha, that's what I was like after my first day of logging on MFP! :bigsmile: ).

Now imagine how amazing you'll feel after a week of logging sensibly...

And then imagine how great you'll feel after logging for a month (I've DEFINITELY had a few slip ups during my time on here so please don't think a "red calorie" day is the end of the world!)

Then a few months...

Oooh, and before you know it, 4 months will have gone by, you'll feel a hell of a lot better about yourself just because YOU CAN DO IT. And you've proved that you can do it... you'll be lighter too and full of energy!

One thing I WILL say before you start, however... open your diary up so the public can see it! Also, make sure your calorie deficit is sensible... I get super grouchy if I eat under 1400 calories a day!

Time to realise that you can just do it. Not only that, you can start now... do you want to? :bigsmile:

+1
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. Nights are the worst for me too!! Something about being anonymous. I have a couple of things that have helped me in the past.. Set a time (or a meal) after which the kitchen is closed. Clean it up and make it off limits for the rest of the night. A thin friend of mine recommended that some nights I just go on to bed if I feel like I can't control myself. That has helped. Filling myself up with water helps because it stretches my stomach out, but then I have to get up several times during the night. Sometimes I chew gum obsessively, like a whole pack of sugar free gum. I ask myself if I am truly hungry and usually I'm not so I just tell myself verbally, "you're not hungry, you don't need to eat. A few nights I really was hungry, I few nights I told myself that going to bed hungry would result in calories burned while sleeping; a few other nights I had a 100 calorie protein shake with 15 grams of protein and they fill me up. Another thing I have recently started to do is look in the mirror and ask myself, "Do you still need to lose weight?" The answer is yes, so then I tell myself, "You don't need anything else to eat." Practice makes perfect. Celebrate the first night (tonight?!?) you go without snacking! Brag here! Make a big deal out of it and then try to strong a few days together. There will be ups and downs. Get back on the horse. String more days together, get your first week, then your first few weeks. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This was definitely my problem a few months back.
    What has worked for me is work that I've put into breakfast.
    First of all, I now eat breakfast. And atleast 40 g of protein in breakfast alone. Protein helps to make you feel full longer. I've also increased my water intake from about 4 glasses a day, to about 12-16 glasses a day. Adding those two simple things-breakfast with protein, and lots of water, have really helped curb my night time snacking.

I personally feel like I have to trick my body into eating new things, and forming new habits. After 20+ years of doing things the same way, sometimes it's necessary to get creative!

Good luck!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Maybe you really DO want to lose weight,. Almost everyone who is overweight "wants" to lose, but so many aren't willing to put in the work it takes to make it happen. Focus on wanting to change the bad habits that got you to this point, even if its one habit at a time......but you have want to do the work to see the results.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good question. Tough love... Have you really put thought into why you're not able to say no to those snacks? Why isn't your health important enough for you to make this commitment? Don't you think you're worth it? How about your family and friends - don't they deserve to have you around and not be worried about your health?

One of my friends actually asked me "how come you regained the weight?" after yet another failed dieiting attempt and at first I just kind of blew it off but it was such a blunt honest question, I couldn't get it out of my head. So I really put some thought into it. Why was I having such a hard time sticking to it? What were the reasons I failed over and over?

For me the major issue was deprivation. I thought losing weight meant that I had to eat cottage cheese and salads and not be able to eat pizza or chocolate and basically starve myself . Of course that doesn't work long term! So this time I made small adjustments. I tweaked my fave recipes to make them lower in cal/fat and found ways to portion them out. And I still eat pizza and take-out but limit it to once a week and make better choices (veg toppings, thin crust, etc)

Of course we all want to be fit and healthy and maybe even "skinny" but wanting it's not enough. You have to understand what it takes to get there, set goals and come up with a plan you can stick with. I'd like to win the lottery but that's not going to happen if I don't buy a ticket...KWIM?
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What you are struggling with is really normal. Look how many other people have said it's hard for them too?

The first and most important thing to do is figure out whether it's hunger or habit. If it's truly hunger, try eating more protein and fiber for dinner.

If it's habit, you have to crush it. There's no magic secret. Set your reasonable goal (i.e. "tonight I will have x grams of x food for snack, and nothing else"). Then, keep your promise to yourself, JUST FOR THIS ONE DAY. Don't worry about every other day after this one, just get through this one. Tell yourself that tomorrow you can go back to your old ways, but for today, you are doing to do this no matter what. Everyone can do this one time. Absolutely everyone.

When you get up tomorrow, think about how great it feels. Decide whether to do it again. I hope you will decide it's worth it. Sometimes you will not keep your promise. Then, you will have to decide the next morning whether to start keeping your promise again.

You are dealing with what is probably a very long term habit. Those don't go away just because you want them to.
  • AdaVanderlyle
    AdaVanderlyle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have had high blood pressure for 25+ years. I started MFP (and did what needed to be done) 6 weeks ago. I have been off Blood pressure medication for 2 weeks and have normal BP now.
    Here is what 6 weeks of doing this gave me:

You've lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks? Wow...great job, bravo!
  • LinziT123
    LinziT123 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    hey guys ive been reading all your replies and i want to thank you,

being healthy is what everyone wants and the answer to my problem really is just get it done! nobody else can make me better but me, and i also have to get it into my head that it isnt going to happen over night, im not going to get into my jeans tommorow, or even next month so maybe my problem is impatience?

as for my snacking, i gues im gonna have to ask myself when i go to the fridge "is this going to help me? sure it'lltaste good but is it going feel as good as being successful in reaching my goal?

i know this looks like im rambling on a bit but thanks guys xx
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    hey guys ive been reading all your replies and i want to thank you,

being healthy is what everyone wants and the answer to my problem really is just get it done! nobody else can make me better but me, and i also have to get it into my head that it isnt going to happen over night, im not going to get into my jeans tommorow, or even next month so maybe my problem is impatience?

as for my snacking, i gues im gonna have to ask myself when i go to the fridge "is this going to help me? sure it'lltaste good but is it going feel as good as being successful in reaching my goal?

i know this looks like im rambling on a bit but thanks guys xx

Patience is probably the most challenging part for me. I want it gone yesterday. I want my younger, healthier, more fit body back. It sucks to not be able to do the things I used to. It sucks to be hurting (physically and emotionally), and it sucks to accept that I did this to myself. All you can do is your best to make each day better than the last. Make better choices today, because the time will pass regardless. Be kind and forgiving with yourself. Add some friends for motivation. When you see what they get up to, it can really push you forward.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Patience is one of those things no one really talks about with dieting but it's a HUGE part of it.

Your reply gave me an idea - how about posting something on your fridge to help remind you that you don't need that snack. There are a ton of motivational sayings on Pinterest. Pick one per week and switch it up so it doesn't get to be old hat and you end up overlooking it after a while. Make it part of your weekly routine like watering the plants. Put them on colorful paper and decorate with stickers. :) Ok, that might be a bit much but seriously whatever works!

I know for me, sometimes I just want to eat out of boredom. If you think that has anything to do with why you head to the fridge, become more mindful, stop yourself and find something else to do. I get easily bored so I like to occupy my mind with things like puzzle games on my tablet/phone or even crossword puzzles while I watch TV. Or I just shut the TV off and read a good book. Hours can pass that way without me even realizing it. Or get off your butt all together and go for a walk.

Also want to say, there's nothing wrong with snacking in and of itself as long as you have calories left in your day. I personally love those 100 cal bags of light butter popcorn. They're portioned out so you don't have to think about how many servings and can just mindlessly eat the whole bag. Or make your own snack bags - pop up a bunch of popcorn (or make trail mix or buy a big bag of chips) and portion them out with labels to say how many calories so you can grab whatever fits and enjoy without worrying.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Watching your calories, then read the labels. I started MFP in the beginning of May. I was a lazy snacker. I had gone up to 180 lbs. The heaviest I have ever been even while being pregnant. I lived on ice cream and watched lbs. creeping up. That was the end. No more.

I gave up the ice cream which was pure withdrawl. I switched to like, strawberries and raspberries with cool whip. Calorie amount surprisingly low. I actually looked forward to it. Then came the frozen greek yogurt bars, low in calories, sugar free ice cream and weight watcher's chocolate bars. They all helped me get over it. I would STOP at one serving.

Found frozen 40 calorie ice pops, sugar free. This is just to name a few things you can use as replacements. I am also on a peach kick. Cut it into slices and it seems like you are eating more.

I also do as someone else said, I log my foods for the following day. Like after I pack my lunch for work. I am seeing my totals before I eat them and then I can monitor them. I make them fit

One hundred days later, 22 lbs lighter. I am thrilled. Now, reassess what and how you are eating and start planning.

Good luck! YOU CAN DO THIS!