Tell me how you use your cold-milled flax seeds.

Options
I found some in my cupboard that a bought a while back. Do they go bad? How would I know if they did. How do you use yours in a recipe or as an additive?

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I use them as bread crumbs when I feel like breading some fish or chicken. I put them in smoothies. I add it to yogurts. I put it into my pasta sauce like a parmesan cheese replacement. I season it and then just sprinkle it on. I put it in my zucchini lasagna between each layer to help reduce the moisture. I sometimes add it to oatmeal. Mostly I use it for the breading or my smoothies.
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use them as bread crumbs when I feel like breading some fish or chicken. I put them in smoothies. I add it to yogurts. I put it into my pasta sauce like a parmesan cheese replacement. I season it and then just sprinkle it on. I put it in my zucchini lasagna between each layer to help reduce the moisture. I sometimes add it to oatmeal. Mostly I use it for the breading or my smoothies.
    Love the bread crumb idea! Do you add seasonings to them as well? I'm going to try this tonight. I usually just put flax in my smoothies and to add a crunch to my yogurt. I also use it as a replacement for butter or fat in baking. Works great.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Once the bag/container is opened, it should be refrigerated and the contents eaten within a month so that you can get the benefits of the omega 3s. I add them to everything: smoothies, salads, eggs,. . . .
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Once the bag/container is opened, it should be refrigerated and the contents eaten within a month so that you can get the benefits of the omega 3s. I add them to everything: smoothies, salads, eggs,. . . .

This.

They go rancid fairly quickly. I actually stopped buying and using them because I read somewhere that by the time you buy them in the store, they have probably gone bad already and lost their nutritional value.

The best way is to buy them whole, then use a dedicated coffee grinder to prepare them as needed.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I grind mine with poppy sesame pumpkin and sometimes sunflower seeds as a topping for chicken breasts.. Also throw in with my salads and stir fried brown rice dishes ..
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I never thought to use them that way. Great ideas!

I usually add them to my cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt.