Sugar/carb detoxing? How long does it take

Options

Replies

• eastonsmama75
    Options
    For me it takes 3-5 days. I disagree with calories in vs calories out..that is way oversimplified. So basically youre saying if you ate 1400 calories of chips and ice cream you would lose weight? Cutting out processed carbs and simple sugars helped me lose 60 lbs, so its NOT an "non optimal" eating plan. It definitely works, and if you have to kick start it by cutting out all sugars, then that is what works for you. I say go for it, just be sure to watch your potassium levels. If you feel shaky, they could be low. Good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    PROTIP: 'Calories in = Calories out' is the only rule you need when losing weight.

peuglow gave you the right advice concerning protein to weight ratio to maintain muscle during weight loss.

If that were true, I'd be skinny. I mean, there is some truth to it. But, there's more to it than that.

Goodness, you guys aren't a very supportive bunch. I didn't want my method criticized. I'm quite happy with it. I just wanted to know how long I can expect to feel junky after quitting an unhealthy amount of sugar in my diet. Thank you to the one and only person that actually answered that.

No, if you were to accurately count the calories expended and consumed you would be skinny.

But since you're not looking for criticism, feel free to continue your non optimal weight loss.
    pretty much exactly this. sugar detoxing? no.
    it is calories in / calories out, you just would rather try to book.. instead of food scales and patience in finding how much you need to eat in order to lose.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    In for selling books with fad diets. The reality is that books like this make the authors money but do little else than to drive their readers batty chasing things that don't matter.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    meh
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Your body has withdrawals from sugar and carbs. It takes a week or so to lower the effect in your body and you should be feeling better, drink plenty of water and if you are eating less than 20g of carbs a day, you won't have cravings.

Statements like this scare me because they are indicative of the amount of misinformation that is out there.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Lots of information in the book. The short of it has to do with your body using carbs as your primary fuel source.

Not really enough info in that book if you're here asking us. Just sayin'
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Even chasing rainbows will get you somewhere, but if you want a pot of gold you'll need to bring two things:

A pot
    Some gold

Good luck!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    PROTIP: 'Calories in = Calories out' is the only rule you need when losing weight.

peuglow gave you the right advice concerning protein to weight ratio to maintain muscle during weight loss.

If that were true, I'd be skinny. I mean, there is some truth to it. But, there's more to it than that.

Goodness, you guys aren't a very supportive bunch. I didn't want my method criticized. I'm quite happy with it. I just wanted to know how long I can expect to feel junky after quitting an unhealthy amount of sugar in my diet. Thank you to the one and only person that actually answered that.

You're happy with your method yet you are asking us how long you'll be miserable.

Sounds legit.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I've started eating following a book called Trim Healthy Mama. You up your protein, decrease carbs and don't eat carb heavy and fat heavy at the same meal. No sugar, no sugary fruit.

I started on Monday. Tuesday I woke up shaking. I ate some quinoa, but that didn't do much. So I ate half an apple with a little PB. I felt better after that.

This morning I was very weak and felt nauseous.

How many morning can I expect to feel like this. It's took 2.5 hours to be feeling normal today.

Unsustainable way of eating is unsustainable.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My advice, stay away from those diets unless you plan on doing it the rest of your life. the heaviest i was when i did the Atkins diet and stopped, i put on all the weight i lost plus 15 lbs. Now i just count calories on myfitnesspal and try to keep my macros at least close to where they should be.
  • Positivelement
    Options
    I agree with you ... I was over weight weighing 174 hardly are at all
    Would go all day and snack then eat one good meal at night
    This went on for years I didn't understand why I was over weight...I didn't eat alot
    Then I started eating 10 oz of protein 2 fruits and two veggies and a gallon or more of water a day... In three months I went down to 134. Yippy so happy I was eating more that I had every done in my adult life lol...after reaching my comfortable weight I increase my protein in take to 15 oz three fruits and three veggies and would each breads and what I would call junk food(pizza, bagels, pb&j )on weekends! Then after three years of keeping this up , we move from fl to nj and were hit by a hurricane, ended up living with strangers for 6 months (nice ones) lol til we could get a house... During all of this I stopped eating this way. I was eating what their family's as eating. Not bad stuff and not even a lot of it, just not the right stuff, I felt the weight going on instantly and felt horrible all the time...it wasn't until I had been in my home for 1 year that I was able to think straight and think what am I doing I feel sick and look horrible.. Just eat the way I did before... So I started back my 10oz of protein and 2fruit 2veggie and gallon of water... Was
    170 :) 2 months in at 150:) feel good... my way of life forever, not a diet
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people feel the need to restrict what they put in their body.

I eat anything I want ranging from fast food to kale.

Its all about calories in and calories out to lose weight, nothing else.

I gaurentee you I have been happier than you will be on your "diet."

I guess you plan to eat like this for the rest of your life.

But hey, whatever works for you, works for you.

Good luck!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Crap got sucked into a 2 year old thread
  • ivylawsonfischer
    Options
    Don't listen to all these negative Nancy's. Do what works for u. There are pros and cons to it all. To get back to ur original question, I've been on a no carb or sugars detox for 13days now... I'm finally not craving the junk. I've read 3 to 14 days is to be expected. Good luck with ur weight loss... I'm on lb -29 myself!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all these negative Nancy's. Do what works for u. There are pros and cons to it all. To get back to ur original question, I've been on a no carb or sugars detox for 13days now... I'm finally not craving the junk. I've read 3 to 14 days is to be expected. Good luck with ur weight loss... I'm on lb -29 myself!
    yeah, all those negative nancies that have never lost any weight but try to help folks out.

... not that accurately counting calories has worked for me. at all.

Strong first post, by the way.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Crap got sucked into a 2 year old thread

This made me laugh.
  • russ1106
    Options
    Actually sugar is the enemy, as the daily intake recommended is 4-6grams. Most people don't realize this and most doctor's either don';t know this or will not tell you this. I have personally seen diabetics reverse by cutting out all this processed sugar crap. Remember fat free = added sugar, low calories = added sugar. They might change the name around to dextrose, sucrose, ect but it still is sugar. Your body will go through a withdrawal of about a week, it can be tough for some. But once you are through that your body will start doing what it was meant to be doing all along. Using the stored fat as energy. Even those so called diet meals that are in the frozen section are no good for you. Healthy Choice, Weight Watchers Smart Ones, etc, etc. You may lose the weight, but the yo yo effect is horrible and a large percentage of people put back on the weight. Our bodies are not meant to deal with all this processed junk we put it in, and yes folks. Over 80% of the food in your grocery store has added sugar. Kids are introduced to sugar as early as birth, look at some of the formulas. Then we wonder why our kids are more obese. Michelle Obama even started the movement until she wwas shut down by the big food lobbys. Now she tones it down and back and even goes as far as saying these companies are not bad. All those zero calorie sodas, really? You think they are good for you? I am not perfect and I can only talk to what I am going through now and the changes I have noticed. You can listen to your doctor, in fact you should, but make sure your doctor is not taking vacations on drug company dimes. Some of them do that you know. Make sure your doctor truly understands how sugar works on your body and what happens when you have too much (over the 4-6grams). Ever look at one of those weight watcher meals, or nutri-system meals? You are already 3-4x over your sugar in one sitting, and your body can not use all that. So why you think you are losing weight, your pancreas is making the insulin to pass to your liver, so your liver can pass that sugar off right as fat. Anyhow, call it hooklah or boogy woogy magic, or false diet, or whatever you want. But I can only attest to what is working for me. And if it can work for me, it most likely can work for someone else. Just need to get past that sugar withdrawal and not weigh yourself every day. Oh BTW, you can eat carbs, just not the starchy processed carbs. Atkins almost had it right, but if you cut carbs out all together you are damaging your body also. Just get rid of the startchy / carbs. And FAT. Do some research, Fat FREE is worse for you than the product with the fat in it. And the lower calories crap only reduces by 10 calories or so, did you know they can error by a percentage and get away with it? The main fats you need to stay away from are Trans-Fats. But do not switch out a product because it says fat free, look at the sugar in it. That sugar is making it worse for you to lose weight.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    AaWmu0z.jpg
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Well folks, it's been nice knowing you. That apple I just ate had more than 6g of sugar, so I'm a goner. I leave all my gifs to my FL. As I cross over to another plane of existence, I ask you not to mourn me with heavy hearts, but to continue on in your journeys and to raise your gelato briefly to the heavens in my memory.