Please critique my diet, not losing weight

Options
13»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, accurate logging DOES matter, for some people more than others. If you're doing triathlons, it matters for you, because your body needs fuel. You're looking for the "sweet spot" in terms of caloric intake where you can adequately fuel your workouts but still lose weight. You're going to have a narrower range that allows you to meet both goals than someone who doesn't work out the same way you do.

That said, I do think you're probably eating more than you think due to inaccurate database entries. The way to fix that is to make 100% sure that you're picking the correct entries, then weighing your food. Look for entries marked without an asterisk or ones that include "USDA," make sure you're using the Recipe Builder tool for any homemade food, and always log each component part of what you eat (add the eggs and oil/butter separately rather than choosing an entry that says "scrambled eggs," for example. That's a generic example, but you get the point).

Please don't just start cutting another 10%-20% off your total without getting an accurate picture of what you're eating. You're just compounding the measurement error at that point, and if you're working from inaccurate data, you can't reliably predict the results.

Lastly, I'm a fellow coffee "enthusiast" (my nice way of saying "total addict") and I'd rather stick a fork in my eyeball than give up my Starbucks! Have you tried their sugar-free syrups?
  • ruthbs
    ruthbs Posts: 14
    Options
    OP, accurate logging DOES matter, for some people more than others. If you're doing triathlons, it matters for you, because your body needs fuel. You're looking for the "sweet spot" in terms of caloric intake where you can adequately fuel your workouts but still lose weight. You're going to have a narrower range that allows you to meet both goals than someone who doesn't work out the same way you do.

That said, I do think you're probably eating more than you think due to inaccurate database entries. The way to fix that is to make 100% sure that you're picking the correct entries, then weighing your food. Look for entries marked without an asterisk or ones that include "USDA," make sure you're using the Recipe Builder tool for any homemade food, and always log each component part of what you eat (add the eggs and oil/butter separately rather than choosing an entry that says "scrambled eggs," for example. That's a generic example, but you get the point).

Please don't just start cutting another 10%-20% off your total without getting an accurate picture of what you're eating. You're just compounding the measurement error at that point, and if you're working from inaccurate data, you can't reliably predict the results.

Lastly, I'm a fellow coffee "enthusiast" (my nice way of saying "total addict") and I'd rather stick a fork in my eyeball than give up my Starbucks! Have you tried their sugar-free syrups?

I was going to say the same about coffee - never ever giving it up! SF syrups and truvia go a long way.
  • jennybennyhillbilly
    Options
    way way too much carbs. i cut mine to 20-30 g a day & within a week i was down 8 lbs not even trying or believing! just make sure to eat enough fat to make up for the carbs. sounds shady but fat doesn't actually make you fat! i was in the same boat as you for almost 10 mths exercising like crazy and hardly losing any weight. you can fix how your body burns carbs this way and then slowly add them back when you reach your goal without gaining the weight back.
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It looks like you get something (frappe, sandwich, etc) from Starbucks everyday. Set up a challenge for yourself and commit to one week (or a coupel days per week) without anything from Starbucks. Make your coffee and egg sandwich in the morning (it takes a couple minutes) and see how much A.) better you'll feel without all that processed, sugary garbage - B.) How many calories you save and C.) MONEY! I think those three things are pretty motivating, at least for me. I think you'll also see the scales starting to move in the right direction
  • jenniferhanisch5
    jenniferhanisch5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify I do make my coffee at home everyday. I used to go to Starbucks everyday. I just use Starbucks espresso beans and syrup.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The triathlon example, she has energy, it’s hidden within her inaccurate logging. All the calories are there, they’re just hidden.

How can you pick the correct entries? By law calories can vary 5%. Log 15 entries your caloric accuracy is off big time already. Are you implying to never eat food that doesn't have calories on the label as well? That we can never go out to a small chain restaurant because it's not 100% accurate.

What difference does it make if she gets an accurate picture of what she’s eating or not? It won’t change a thing. If she’s logging 1,500 calories and in actuality eating 2000, she’s going to cut her calories either way. Doesn't matter. You’re just making the process longer, delaying it.

The problem with what I suggested is that she might THINK her TDEE is lower than it actually is. So what… what does it matter? Doesn't make a bit off difference.

I don’t care if I log 500 calories or 5,000 calories as long as I get results. My goal isn’t to make my calorie count on MFP be a specific number that’s not the goal. My goal is to get results. The number is meaningless for the most part. It’s meaningless because all the errors involved. I think I discussed previously. Here are my calculated TDEE’s for the last 7 weeks.

I can send you all my data and hopefully you can find my TDEE if you wish. I tried many times, maybe you can do better... These are actual calculations based on actual results. These are not estimates. See how it jumps from 2,700 to 1,700, then 1400 to 2500… as I said, it doesn't matter.

Just so you'er aware, it has been statistically shown people over estimate calories burned and underestimate food consumed. Point is, no one really knows where they stand there is no 100% accuracy in this.
    Your argument assumes that the person's logging is always inaccurate by the same percentage, which of course is never the case. Some days might be spot-on, some days could be 40% over, other days could be 40% under. The most efficient and effective thing to do would be to adjust those days that are 40% over, not just indiscriminately whack 10-20% off every day. Only lowering the high days is going to help with adherence, satiety, performance and recovery. Again, being accurate and consistent becomes more important when you are talking about people who have athletic performance goals to balance against losing weight.

Edit: You realize that TDEE can be different from day-to-day, right? It depends on how active you are on a daily basis. TDEE calculators average your weekly energy expenditure, but that assumes that the average is accurate (and that no one day is perfectly accurate). Obviously, if you move more on one day, you burn more that day.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Okay I guess I don't understand how 1700 calories average, before any exercise is too much to lose any weight in four months when I exercise at least an hour most days with high intensity. But obviously you're right as its not working...

As people have pointed out, you're not eating 1700 calories, you're eating far more than that, but don't realise because you're not logging accurately. Secondly, as people have pointed out, you are over-estimating your exercise calories.
  • jennmc6
    jennmc6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer,

I'm short and over 40 with about 20 lbs to lose. I am within medical weight, but the very high end of it. If I lose 20 lbs I have a BMI around 23, now I'm right, smack at 25. This puts me in a category of very slow and very careful weight loss/logging and it can be frustrating at times to work hard at something and see small (or no) results. Congratulations at keeping at it, working out and seeing little result can be really tough.

Here's some observations: like many have said, you don't eat in a very balanced way and what that lends itself to is binging or just misery because of unstable blood sugar. It impedes results and won't help much in the long term as you get upwards through your 30's. The vegetable thing needs improved and some great suggestions have been made (putting them in smoothies etc) I also suspect the calories are significantly off, also mentioned.

I'd start with deciding what and why I want to lose and for how long you want to keep it off. You can spend a decade eating badly and then dieting. Also, be realistic about budget: often people won't spend at grocery fearing a big bill, but if you add up all those little somethings at restaurants you will see you spend far more. If you want to change, you have to actually learn how to change and how and what will work for you. This is the only thing that will lead to weight loss that won't yo-yo. We all eat crappy at times, but changing the way you eat will benefit you forever. I'm from a family of overweight people and one, eating disordered mom who has always weighed 20 lbs less than me- even at 70 something and even when I was 13 though she is 2 inches taller. One good thing is she did feed us quality food, just my sister and I can eat too much of it.

My Weakness: creamy, buttery, nutty, cheesy and occasionally sugary. I have a serious caffeine addiction that I struggle with that often gets in my water way (2 pots of coffee to 2 glasses of water I've been known for) I've slowly worked on all of it throughout my life. I don't hate vegetables, but they are never going to be my #1 choice, even though I can cook well. I like other people's salads far more than my own, I believe this might be some weird phenomenon.

Worked and working for me:

Tupperware: you work as a nurse and say you are mainly sedentary with bursts of busy. There is far too much eating out and grabbing hungry at Starbucks. I know this drill, been there myself with kids/job etc. I suggest finding a book that pre plans exactly what you get to eat every day with a few choices to avoid things you don't like. Spend a day doing the grocery thing & a day to pack tupperware for up to 3 days of meals for work, under 400 calories. Yes, it's a pain. You won't have to do this forever, but it will offer a good example of balanced eating.
    Other days, tired days, crazy days, lazy days we all have:

Some ideas: Replace those pork chops with easy to cook, low fat chicken sausages (make sure they are the low fat kind, under 200 calories each) and mix them with some acceptable veg that you can tolerate, usually there are one or 2.

The veg problem: Stay far far away from canned, high sodium vegetables. They are dreadful and could kick a vegetarian off vegetables for life they are so gross. The ONLY veg ever in a can that is ok is corn or peas and frozen is so much better for sodium. Buy pre cut fresh or high quality frozen veg- the former being better. It's a bit more $$ but if you actually eat them, it is better. Buy those fresh salad with dressing mixes and stay in portion control. It's better than nothing and though the dressings are often high fat, it will get you in the groove of eating veg. There are also some new chopped veg salad options that are good in my market.

Soup with vegetables will be even better come fall. Try to buy good brands that are organic as they tend to have better veg in them.

High quality quick foods: hummus, chili, white bean or black bean soups are good for take to work lunch. Many now come in cartons that don't weigh a ton to carry. Pacific brand is excellent.
    Kashi makes great microwave meals that use higher quality ingredients. A bit more $ but far less than restaurants. There are a few other choices in the organic frozen section that are both nutritious and lower calorie. There are also frozen meals of higher quality being made by more conventional companies nowadays.
    Take out, restaurants: no more than 2x a week. Sounds hard, but most healthy people are on about that much a week. Starbucks has some good options: protein boxes with hummus and veg, lean turkey etc. The hot sandwiches etc are no-go.
    Middle eastern food if you must do take out: Hummus with cucumber and half the pita they give works in a pinch. Subway is also not too terrible if you stay in the low-cal options.
    Dairy? Are you lactose intolerant? I see minimal calcium which has recently been shown to help with weight loss. That combined with the low green veg means you are getting very minimal calcium. If you can eat yogurt (real yogurt NOT fruit loop colored) do. It's a good treat & the greek varieties will ump protein for working out. If you hate yogurt, skim milk sugar free instant puddings are great. I bought some tiny 1/2 cup mason jars at target and make 2 varieties and stack them in my fridge for dessert. 70 calories each and easy.
    Caffeine drink addiction: skinny latte with skim milk works, no-sugar vanilla. no whipped. You will adjust fast to this and it's not all that different. I too am a caffeine addict but I only drink coffee (with 1/2 and 1/2 because I want to enjoy it!) I used to have this thing for the peppermint mochas, just ask my thighs...
    No fast food, ever on non cheat day. No reg soda ever.

Tazo passion tea was suggested, it's awesome! Personally, I use stevia sweetener to make it sweet to avoid the chemical of splenda.

Exercise counting: huh? thousands of calories? I have no idea where you are getting these figures, you don't weigh enough to burn this much. I weigh 137 and after an hour on an elliptical I have used a grand 325 calories and only if I'm drenched in sweat.
    Eating extra exercise calories. I allow maximum of 100 calorie increase for exercise over my daily max food. Period. I can burn 500 calories or 100, no more than 100 extra in food. I am far more inspired by progress in the long run and this makes sure my exercise shows results that make me inspired.

One day a week off to eat fun stuff, but no more than 500 calories over your reg diet calorie allotment. It's not a day to binge, it's a day to enjoy. Sure, have some pizza or ice cream but don't eat a 600 calorie breakfast that day.

Know: living on caffeine, carb, fat and protein. This is a recipe for weight gain and as you hit closer to your 40's (my age) it will make your hormones go insane and cellulite/headaches/flab will just blossom like springtime with this diet every year past 35.

Good luck and I know it's hard, but it can be done and is worth it. If you want to challenge to eat well each week to my exercise 4-5 days a week, I'm game. I eat well, but I'm a lazy bones and can use the motivation.

Another Jennifer
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't think I have much to add because a lot of people have already mentioned that you may be eating more than you think and should reduce your calorie intake, and learn to log more accurately. I just wanted to say best of luck! I hope you figure out what the problem is and find success in your fat loss journey.
  • eminentclapper
    eminentclapper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you avoid sugar, especially refined, as much as possible, as it only makes you hungry for more and makes it more difficult for your body to burn fat. Don't replace sugar with sweeteners as that has the same effect, your brain reacts the same way.

Choose only one day a week when you indulge yourself in snacks and sweets, like a frappuccino, or any food you fancy, just so you at least can handle short term goals (like: no frappuccino today, but on Saturday? Mmmmm!!!!) but on a daily basis, stay away from all kinds of refined and pre-prepared food, instead prepare and cook everything yourself from fresh produce. This will ensure that your taste buds are not overloaded and you'll soon find your taste buds normalised and being a lot less hungry.

In regards to exercise, aerobics is not very effective for losing weight. The main factor is to increase the resting metabolic rate, which can only be done in two ways: eat more or build more muscle. Obviously, eating more doesn't fit with your goal, so the solution is to build more muscle and the way to do that is resistance training, which also has a vast number of other benefits you simply won't get with aerobic exercise. You only need to spend an extra 30-45 minutes, 3 times a week, with 5-6 simple basic exercises, to make a big difference. Don't stop your aerobics though, as that is the best to train your heart. However, if you're not doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) aerobics, I suggest you start doing it, as it is by far the most efficient form of aerobic exercise.

Finally, as another commenter mentioned: it's a marathon, not a sprint! Keep your main focus on the effort and process, not so much the end goal. Be the person who never skips a workout! Be the person who always does the best workout you can, on any given day! Be the person who cooks their own healthy food, every day! Be the person who only drinks frappuccinos once a week!

Always look forward and never give up!

All the best!

This is to benefit you not so much the op. The sugar thing... it's true it makes you hungrier, but it doesn't make it more difficult to burn fat.

Cheat meals are good, 1-2x a week, depends how big you are. If you're big do 2, if you're not that big do 1.

The best way to increase metabolic rate is through "INTENSE" exercise. That will keep metabolic rate elevated. Muscle really doesn't play much of a role, you have to eat more to maintain that muscle so it doesn't matter.

According to a number of recent studies I have seen referenced, a high intake of sugar actually does make it more difficult for the body to burn (process) fat usage - It's not actually my own opinion.

Yes, I forgot to mention that the resistance/weight training has to be as intensive as one can handle. The best is to train for maximum muscle strength and not for maximum muscle size (body building style training), focusing on overall fitness. Again, this is not based on my own opinion, but the most recent and credible material I have been able to find in last year or so.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If given the choice between eating and having coffee the way I like it with milk and sugar I would go with coffee so I get the coffee thing trust me. My trainer had me cut the milk in half and switch from sugar to sweetleaf stevia it's a compromise and it's helped.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    If given the choice between eating and having coffee the way I like it with milk and sugar I would go with coffee so I get the coffee thing trust me. My trainer had me cut the milk in half and switch from sugar to sweetleaf stevia it's a compromise and it's helped.

I agree - I'd rather eat less of something 'bad' than more of something 'good' if I loved the 'bad' thing that much. If It Fits after all. :)

Of course in order for that to work you've got to have a) calculated your required calories correctly and b) calculated how many calories you're eating accurately.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I was sticking to my calories and not losing weight the same as you. .. until I started eating clean. Lots of veggies and protein...and there it was! I've lost 9 lbs in a month!

I was stuck with the same 1-2 pounds every morning for 3 weeks as well. I seriously upped my protein and greens and had an actual drop, not huge, but a drop nonetheless. Just my experience :smile:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

I agree - I'd rather eat less of something 'bad' than more of something 'good' if I loved the 'bad' thing that much. If It Fits after all. :)

Of course in order for that to work you've got to have a) calculated your required calories correctly and b) calculated how many calories you're eating accurately.

right now i think that is what is important here is the using the food scale and accurately logging. The OP can worry about the good bad and ugly types of food once she has got the logging down. OP also dont trust the calorie burns on MFP way too high. Good luck.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't eat anything that doesn't have a food label on it and I don't use anyone else's foods from the database in my diary - I create my own, using the information from the food label.

I also pretty much "threw away" all of my measuring cups. I'm 95% food scale only now.

I limit my saturated fat intake, my net carbs (to under 50), sugar to under 20, and sodium to under 1700.

I make 4 or 5 different meals a month - enough to last me a month. I weigh it all out into individual servings and freeze them. That way, I don't have to weigh my food at every meal. I can simply check it in my food diary and click on add.

When I make a new recipe, I make enough to last me a month. Before I make it for the first time, I decide how much is going to be a serving. I usually go by protein. For me, a meal has to have at least 15 grams of protein but no more than 30. So, when I create my recipe on MFP, I input all of the ingredients (again, I create the foods used in the recipe myself, using the food labels to enter all the data. I don't use foods added by MFP or other users), and determine how many servings the recipe makes if each serving were to have 15 grams of protein (I use the food diary to test the recipe). If I determine a serving has 15 grams of protein but also has too many calories, too many grams of saturated fat, too many grams of carbs, or too much sodium, I throw out the recipe or modify it to reduce these excess amounts. But if the recipe meets my standards, I make it, divide it into the correct number of servings, weigh a serving and make sure all of the other servings are of the same weight, put them in freezer baggies, and freeze them.

It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. I only have to do it once for each new recipe. After that, I already know everything I need to know about the recipe so I can make it over and over again, knowing the nutritional values will always be the same as long as I measure the ingredients accurately and weigh the servings.

It works for me. I've lost 111 lbs since November, only have 15 more to go and I definitely know I'm counting accurately. I'm 5'0" (yes, that short), keep my calories between 900 and 1,000, and swim between 2,000 and 3,000 yards a day, 5-6 days a week.