Grocery Shopping

Options
MFP,

I am going grocery shopping this Sunday and would like to create a new fridge and pantry!

My short term goal is to remain within my calorie budget of 1500 but to also eat "healthier" (less processed foods, low sugar, low saturated fats, etc.). I don't want to completely eliminate the bad foods (high in saturated fats, sodium, sugar, etc), but I would like to minimize them so I can have a higher quantity of food throughout the day.

I want to eat clean and remain that way so it will become a long term success.

My long term goal is to drop my current weight of 182lbs to 140lbs. I don't just want the scale number to decrease, I also want to have lower body fat % and decrease my chances of future health related illnesses caused by diet.

Please, tell me the food that you love to keep in your kitchen (from all food groups). If you can, please also tell me your favorite recipes, as I'm also trying to cook more, not just "warm up".

Any advice will help, even if it is constructive criticism.

Thanks,

Shaila

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with taking the items you have now and fitting them into your calorie/macro goals?!

:huh:
  • shaila0517
    Options
    What's wrong with taking the items you have now and fitting them into your calorie/macro goals?!

:huh:

I actually don't have anything right now, literally.
  • marilynbauer
    marilynbauer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The best suggestion I have heard was do the bulk of your shopping around the parameter of the grocery store. That way the foods you buy will not be high in process. I also limit myself to one item on each isle or section. i.e. morning breakfast item I only pick one, cereal, oatmeal, grits; snack foods i.e. such as crackers, chips, popcorn.

Don't buy any sweets. That does not mean you have to give up sweets there will always be special occasions and celebrations where there will be sweets available. Make them the exception not the routine.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I always load up on fresh veggies and fruit. I pick 2-3 different meats and make larger meals so I have leftovers to take to work. I buy yogurt, cheese, crackers, and hummus for snacks. Eggs are a staple. As for recipes, I use the following websites for most of mine:

skinnytaste.com, budgetbytes.com, allrecipes.com, cookinglight.com

And with the new recipe import feature on MFP, you can simply copy and paste the link and then adjust the serving sizes or ingredients depending on how much you did/did not use.

ETA: I usually buy a treat every week, too. Like a 1/2 gallon of ice cream, cookies, fruit snacks. Then I only eat them when I have room in my diary. They usually last a while :happy:
  • lany59
    lany59 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Shaila, eating healthy to lose weight and also to just feel good can be a challenge and also fun. You will definitely find
    yourself feeling so much better in a short period of time. When grocery shopping, spend most of your time in the produce
    department. There you can pick and choose the fruits and ingredients to make great salads. I personally buy most of my
    vegetables in the frozen food aisle. Choose low fat or fat free dairy and whole wheat breads and pastas. Don't forget to get
    yourself a low calorie treat, whether its low fat ice cream or salsa and whole grain chips. Its up to you to find the foods you
    truly enjoy and in time you will know which foods you can eat, feel satisfied and also lose weight with. Wishing you much
    luck and success!
  • SimaN2014
    SimaN2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love to cook fresh.

I keep good quality olive oil and good quality balsamic vinegar around. Salad dressing is a clove of garlic crushed, a small bit (1/2 tsp?) of mustard, add the vinegar, shake well, add a little olive oil & salt and pepper. Who needs pre-made dressing? You can add something a little sweet to it (e.g. orange juice) if you like. I keep pine nuts and almonds and will toast one or the other dry in a pan and add that to any salad (in moderation of course).

I always have onions, garlic, and fresh veg on hand. Salads are a go-to side. On a day where I'm nearing my calorie limit, I just take a few slices of cucumber, or a carrot or a bell pepper. On a day where I have extra, I will go full out and make a salad with pine nuts & the above dressing (it comes to about 160 cals for a big bowl full for me).

Other staples: soya sauce, mirin seasoning, terryaki sauce. Then chicken breast or salmon. Add a little oil to the pan, heat it, add the soya + mirin or the terryaki. Plunk in the chicken or fish, turn over when half done, cook the other side. If you want, add some fresh garlic or cilantro just before you turn it over. Add a little water if it is burning. That is a 10 minute healthy meal (with the salad).

Another easy fish one: a tsp or 2 of capers, the zest of a lemon, a clover or 2 of garlic, a handful of your favorite fresh herb (thyme, mint, cilantro, parsley, whatever you have). Chop all that up really fine, stick it in a bowl. Add the juice of 1/2 the lemon. Add a little oil and salt and pepper. Stir it together. Then take your fish (2 filets), fry in a pan with a little oil (not long; depends on the fish & thickness). When you turn it over, about 2 mins from being done add a small amount of butter, toss the mix into the butter, let it bubble and spoon it over the fish. Again, add salad.

I find I add or reduce carbs (rice, pasta, couscous, bread) depending on how many calories I have left in the evenings. And same goes for a nice glass of good wine.

I have tonnes of other things I love to make -- e.g. home made chicken soup, BBQ in the summer, roast veggies, home-made hamburgers. There's also a recipe for lamb curry and one for tandoori chicken breasts that I love if you like spicy things. If any of those sound interesting. I'm happy to write up the "recipes".
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My tips:

Plan your meals. Decide on 2-3 recipes you know you like and then spend 30 minutes looking for 2-3 fun recipes to try. Each recipe should have (1) lean protein (2) VEGGIES and (3) whole grains. Decide which ones you will make over the weekend for lunch and easy dinners and which ones you will make during the week.

Each week, try at least one new recipe and/or fruit or vegetable.

Frozen meats and vegetables are awesome. They make things so much easier.

I always have: frozen chicken breasts, 2-3 kinds of frozen fish, frozen shrimp, and multiple kinds of frozen vegetables. Apples, oranges, and 2-3 other fruit that is in season. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, salad greens, and 2-3 other vegetables tjat are in season. Low-carb wraps. Turkey bacon and Kashi or other low-sugar cereal. Eggs, milk, fage 0% plain yogurt, and string cheese. Raw nuts and dark chocolate as my treats :)
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You can get bags of spinach/kale to use for salads, what ever veggies you like, bags of frozen veggies are quick and easy, If you cook a roast , chicken or a turkey you will have left overs for a while -that's a real time saver. stir fry is quick & easy. Get some extra virgin olive oil for your salad, coconut oil for sautéing your sir fry . get some Irish Steel cut oat for oatmeal. - munching on a carrot or apple makes a good snack - tuna makes a good topping for a salad with some olive oil quick and easy - Keep your meals and shopping centered around protein (meat chicken fish eggs) and veggies and some fat , and a little fruit - Eastcoast Jim