Is this normal?

Options
I'm sure that it is but I did my first workout of Chalean Extreme this afternoon and I got to a point where I felt physically ill. Like if I pushed much harder I'd pass out or get sick. I paused the dvd and let my heart rate slow back down some. Is this or ca this be normal for just starting to work out again?

Replies

• redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you pushed to the point of being sick, you pushed enough. Your body is telling you it's reaching it's limit. Now that being said, I have done exercises (Squats or bench) that have made me throw up. I just puked, rinsed out my mouth and did another set. You determine how far you want to go.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sure. Could be you didn't eat enough earlier today or hadn't had enough water or were just pushing yourself WAY harder than you're used to. Or sometimes we just have off days and don't feel up to it - happens to me along during PMS. Good job pausing to give yourself a break. How did you feel the rest of the workout?

As long as it only happens rarely and you listen to your body and let yourself recover, you should be fine. If it become a regular thing, I'd suggest checking with your doctor. There was a woman who posted on here earlier this week who felt ill during her workout over several days and it ended up she really was dealing with an infection. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Happened to me while running once when I was pushing for a longer distance. I did the same thing you did just slowed down (didn't stop but walked instead of ran) and after a short time I felt good enough to pick up the pace again. I've now gone past that distance but it helped to recognize the warning. Kudos to you for listening toyour body!
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I ended up not finishing the last 10 minutes because with each last rep I didn't feel right. Its been almost 2 years since I did this program and I vaguely remember feeling this way. At the time I had cut all sugar from my diet and assumed that it was low blood sugar then. Just being that it has been so long since I've done any workout let alone anything as strenuous as this I'll give it a few weeks and see how I am at that point. If I need I'll definitely make an appt at that time.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Is it normal? Yes.

As others have said, it just means you've pushed your body right to the limit.

When you are doing an intensive workout program, your body is getting its energy from your stores of glycogen. Once that's all burned out, it starts burning fat. However, that takes much longer than burning glycogen. What sounds like happened is that you exhausted your stores of glycogen and your body couldn't keep up by burning fat fast enough.

You can solve this problem by eating something about an hour before you work out - which will replenish your glycogen stores and allow you to work out longer. Also, as you get more efficient at doing that particular routine, your body will require less energy to complete it (which is why most workout programs are 30 days or less - they become less effective over time). The lower energy requirement means that you won't be draining your glycogen stores quite as quickly.
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It is probably just a case of you pushing yourself too much too quickly. But, before starting any serious physical activity it is always best to go for a check up to make sure nothing is amiss.
  • jwallner04
    Options
    Is it normal? Yes.

As others have said, it just means you've pushed your body right to the limit.

When you are doing an intensive workout program, your body is getting its energy from your stores of glycogen. Once that's all burned out, it starts burning fat. However, that takes much longer than burning glycogen. What sounds like happened is that you exhausted your stores of glycogen and your body couldn't keep up by burning fat fast enough.

You can solve this problem by eating something about an hour before you work out - which will replenish your glycogen stores and allow you to work out longer. Also, as you get more efficient at doing that particular routine, your body will require less energy to complete it (which is why most workout programs are 30 days or less - they become less effective over time). The lower energy requirement means that you won't be draining your glycogen stores quite as quickly.

This makes sense as do the other responses that were given.

Do you have any suggestions on a good snack to have shortly before working out? I had eaten probably about 3 hours before working out so it very well could have been I needed something else to eat. I did have quite a bit of water (48 oz) before working out so I think I was pretty well hydrated already.

Thank you all for your feedback!
  • jwallner04
    Options
    It is probably just a case of you pushing yourself too much too quickly. But, before starting any serious physical activity it is always best to go for a check up to make sure nothing is amiss.

Yes, this is probably a good idea since I haven't been to the doctor in about 2 years.