Sore calves while running and walking long distances???

I'm training for a 5k race in October and I've been taking it VERY slow. I run in intervals and I run slow, no sprinting, plus plenty of walk breaks. But I noticed that while walking to the park where I run (about 15-20 minutes away from my apartment) and while I'm doing the running intervals, my calves get pretty sore. It's not so bad that I can't walk or run, just enough to slow me down a bit.

Bear in mind I just started doing this Sunday, so is it just because my body is adjusting? My shoes were fitted at a specialty store, so I don't think that's the problem. Is there anything I can do to help with this slight pain so I can focus on being a better runner?

Replies

• HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    The more you exercise, the less it will hurt...you just have to stick with it to get to that point!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Stretch after your run.
    Foam roll your calves.
    Make sure you are landing correctly (on the balls-to mid foot (not on the heels or toes)).
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    My arms get sore when doing curls.

I would also like to know what type of voodoo this is.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    There could be any number of reasons. Proper shoes, proper fit, streching before running, stretching after, proper running technique. You could just hurt due to the increased exercise. The first thing I would would be go to a store that specializes in running. Have them map your feet and see what kind of a runner you are. Then match you with a pair of shoes built for your type and running style. Proper streching and warm up is important and then again after you run.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Bear in mind I just started doing this Sunday, so is it just because my body is adjusting? My shoes were fitted at a specialty store, so I don't think that's the problem. Is there anything I can do to help with this slight pain so I can focus on being a better runner?

Run more. That's about all you can do. Take a day off it it's too sore to walk or if you're feeling actual pain but if you're going to push your body to do things you haven't done physically for a while (or ever) then expect sore muscles. Your lower legs will feel the biggest brunt of the discomfort for quite a while. They're not used to taking that sort of pounding.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I used to have this problem, then I got fit for proper running shoes and arch supports, haven't had a problem with it since.
  • KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    Most likely, your body is just adjusting to the new routine. But I would recommend getting a foam roller - it seriously helps with the soreness!

ETA: Getting fitted for running shoes was literally one of the best investments of my life. I used to have sore ankles for a week after a short run, but now they're only sore for a day or so, even after my longer runs!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Muscles that haven't been used in a while will be sore after you use them. This should subside with continued exercise.