The final day of my transformation (with pics)

Options
waskier
waskier Posts: 254 Member
I have come a long way since September 28, 2011. I have lost weight, gained friends, achieved milestones, inspired other friends, backtracked, had an accident and reconstructive surgery. I showed two doctors who, in 2006, told me they could getting me walking again but that was the best I could hope for, how wrong they would be. I had a dream I honestly thought would never come true. It did. I am an Ironman. This is the story of my final day.

What an incredibly freeing experience. 2013 was to be my first Ironman until an accident just two weeks prior to the race required reconstructive shoulder surgery. I wondered many times over the last year whether the sacrifice was worth trying again. I found it was worth every bit and more.

The beauty of this race extends far beyond the surroundings. The local residents, visitors, spectators, volunteers and fellow racers made this the experience of a lifetime.

I began the race while still recovering from walking pneumonia. It was a risk worth taking. 33 miles into the bike my aero bars broke. Not ideal. 65 miles in stomach cramps hit. Not uncommon for any endurance athlete. At 97.4 miles an exercise induced asthma attack began. Things got really bad after that.

The run was agonizing. My wheezing could be heard from Pemberton I'm sure. The words of encouragement and support were uplifting. Fellow racers walked with me for periods to make sure I was ok. My motivation fed off of the whispers of, "He'll never make it like that." All I had to do was just keep moving.

I crossed the finish line at 16:30:43. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life. I was literally carried down the final chute by the cheering of the fans. How I was able to smile, let alone run, is beyond me. My wife was waiting at the finish line to place the medal around my neck. I have never felt more complete than when we embraced.

The folks in the med tent patched me up best they could. My doc told me yesterday I can get back to training in about a month when I am done with the new meds. He said he prefers if I start healthy next time.

Next year is already bought and paid for. Can't wait to start back at it. I sincerely hope to see you there so that I can pay back the support I received from all of you. Happy training.

And don't give up. Don't ever give up.

imagejpg1-3.jpg

imagejpg9-1.jpg

imagejpg4-1.jpg

imagejpg3-1.jpg

imagejpg10.jpg

Replies

• prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have watched your journey from afar, for the last eighteen months. Shared your successes and felt for you last year after the bike crash. I watched on line your progress during your Ironman. I saw you finish and was so elated for you. What can I say, Don you are amazing.
  • skidd93
    skidd93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congratulation!!! Way to go!
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    WOW. :flowerforyou:
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Congrats brah you went HAM
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I take my hat off to you, sir!
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Now that is determination! Congrats on becoming an Ironman. I hope to be able to say that one day.
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am in tears reading this... and I get it! My crit and iron was so low my doctor told me the week before that he wasn't ok with me doing the open water swim, I did it anyway. I was with 5 of my best friends, nobody was letting me drown. Mine as an OLY, but from where I have come, kidney failure, it was a huge accomplishment!

So incredible!
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration! I really needed it today! Big hugs and fabulous job! :drinker:
  • novespecial
    novespecial Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Way to stick with it! Thanks for the inspiration :).
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    OMG, I'm in tears writing this. My Ironman dreams have been cut short twice, once by missing the swim cut-off and the second time due to a training injury 3 weeks from the big day (they wouldn't even let me recoup even a fraction of my entry fee). To my lowest weight (about 8 weeks out of the 1st IM) I was at 155, and since then I gained 150 pounds. Part of my dream was to walk down the finish chute with my mother, but she passed in 2009 so that part of my dream will never happen.

You have achieved what I dream of doing, and you have my utmost respect! <claps> If the good Lord blesses me with good enough "foot health", hopefully I'll become on Ironman in 2019 or 2020. Until then, I need to drop pounds, gain muscle, gain speed (faster than I ever was), and keep working on my swim technique.

Congratulations on your accomplishment! What's the saying? Swim 2.4 miles, Bike 112 miles, Run 26.2 miles and brag like heck the rest of your life! GREAT JOB! CONGRATULATIONS! :drinker:
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Don! You are awesome!! I still think about the way you carried through and met those challenges.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Respect. What else can I say?
  • GeekMeister
    GeekMeister Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, great story and what an awesome achievement! Bask in it!
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the support. It was one heck of a day. If you want to see something fun, the folks at Ironman Canada do a post race video. They included me crossing the finish line just before the end of the video! Memorialized forever!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CmaQb-HdsTg
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You made me tear up. That was very inspirational :)
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Wow, so impressive! I really needed the inspiration today as well. I want to climb Mt. Ranier in three years - we got to 13,000 ft the week before our wedding (15 years and 100 lbs ago) but had to turn back because my dad was sick. Then my dad, husband, and brother in law summited the next year but I had to turn back because of a knee injury. So I'm working hard to lose weight and be stronger than ever so that we can take our kids and all summit as a family. It is wonderful to see that hard work paying off for you. THANKS!
  • MomforNoah
    Options
    Wow what an amazing story! Thank you for sharing
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great job. That's really amazing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!