binge eating ~ stress

Options
I have been under alot of stress and tend to be an emotional eater. Recently i notice that i can be good on my diet. and then i will hit a period where i am out of control and cant stop eating. Any advice on how to stop the binge eating ....

Replies

• AmyTCaldwell
    AmyTCaldwell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When you have the urge to binge eat , it is very important to tell your self no.I myself used to be a binge eater,and then made my self throw up,I felt horrible,then I got mad at myself for doing it and realized,not only do I feel bad but now I have to work extra hard,to burn the calories that I had just consumed.get your self a special dark choc bar,tell yourself when you feel as though your going to binge eat,you can only have 3 squares at a time. Choc always helps.dark choc,not milk choc. I hope this will help you.:happy:
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    These books have helped me more than anything else has:
    EatQ by Susan Albers
    Overcoming Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth

Both of these were available at our public library.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I realized in the last month that I haven't been doing that, and it was something I've done for as long as I can remember. Since I would zone out and not realize I'm eating until I've demolished half a box of whatever (last year it was Cheez-Its...a 42 lb re-gain's worth), I started putting these stickies on anything I knew I would possibly binge on, even the boxes of Cheez-Its stocked in the office. It was enough to snap me back into reality and walk away from it.

4a0ef77f-4427-430b-bfb1-fb3371683673_zpsa0db92b2.jpg

I think that making ice cream and a couple of other things a daily part of my life helped, and being completely focused on getting my macros right and sticking with my workout routine helped, also. If you have to, just don't keep food around that you know you'll binge on until you have better control over it.

ETA that a friend of mine told me to make a list of things I could do instead of eating when I was stressed out. I never actually wrote it down, but I had a mental list, and that also helped.
  • coconutlove93
    coconutlove93 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, my binge eating has been more out of boredom rather than from my emotions, however it has been used as emotional relief. My best strategy that has been working for me is to keep myself busy. Might not work for everyone but I find that when I have something to accomplish I spend too much time thinking about and working on that rather than thinking about how much i wanna just lock myself away and eat till i'm sick. I also feel better about myself and get a boost of confidence when i find small successes such as completing a project.
  • sexytati89
    Options
    Try to replace it with exercise. You know your problem so tell yourself no and then drink a lot of water until you satisfy the urge or tou arr too full from water to want to est anything else. Then exercise with you van and control yout portions. I am a seeet binge eater, I found out if I add the zero calories packs to my water, it satisfy my hunger.
  • tssomerville6113
    tssomerville6113 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. Its always nice to get support from fellow fitness pal!