Why is my hair falling out???

Options
I have really, really, really thick hair. I don't really worry about going bald. That being said, my hair is falling out like crazy lately. Giant globs of it in the shower, handfuls if I run my fingers through my hair, loose hairs all over my pillow each night.
I have read that insufficient protein while losing weight can cause hair loss, but I eat WAY more protein than I ever did before and I also consume more vitamins and minerals in general than I ever used to. I've read that anemia can also cause hair loss but I gave blood last week and they said my iron level was great.
What is going on?
Is there something I can do to stop my hair loss?

Replies

• prettier_me
    prettier_me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    stress is often a big factor.
  • fevre
    fevre Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've ruled out the most common causes, so calling a doctor would probably be your best bet.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Please call your doctor or go to Immediate care and find out what is going on.

We are helpful here but we are not doctors! Take care of yourself please. Blessings
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? If you're not, that could cause hair loss. Also, it could be a hormone imbalance or a vitamin deficency. I lost a lot of hair after both my kids were born (hormone thing). It stopped after a couple weeks.

Just my two cents. Best of luck!
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me hair loss is normal while losing weight... but you should never lose more than 33% of your total head of hair. It's because your body is adjusting to the change. I've lost quite a bit of hair, which I hate, but I'll take the weight loss over the hair!
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    hubby teaches cosmotology, he suggest u get some hair, nail, skin vitimins. also if your loosing it from stress it will grow back.
  • Raquel1275
    Options
    I completely understand your concern. My hair starting falling out pretty quickly after losing weight 10 years ago. I went from a size 26 to a size 16 in a short amount of time. After that i married and got pregnant and ever since my hair has been fairly thin. I was never sure what was causing it until about 6 months ago I went to the Dr. where they said I had hypothyroidism. I am just starting my journey with correcting it and I hope to regain my hair back. I also just started taking prenatal vitamins to see if they help. My suggestion to you would to go see your doctor and explain your concerns and have them do blood work to make sure your thyroid is ok. If it is , then my second suggestion would be vitamins. Hope this helps and take care of yourself! :)
  • kimberlyrenee
    Options
    Many years ago I had the same experience. The cause of my hair loss was there was not enough fat in my diet. However that was my situation, the best advise I can give is for you to go see your doctor.
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was considering posting the same topic this morning. For the past two weeks my hair has been falling out in gobs. I'm losing as much hair as I did after I had my baby. And as my hair is already thinning...I'm totally irritated!
    I'm going to take it as a normal thing since we have both been at it for about the same time, have similar goals, and are maintaining similar habits.
    But I will sit here and think jealous thoughts since you have thick hair and it isn't freaking you out as bad!
  • rebeccaheiden1
    Options
    You need to be sure you are getting enough protein too. Your body is going through changes and several things could lead to hair loss. Everyone is right-you need to consult with your doctor. Take care and hopefully you stop this from happening.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of protein. Last year my thyroid was fine, but is it possible to have developed a thyroid problem in the past few months?
    I just started taking Fish Oil capsules, but I do try to get in enough fat based on what MFP gives me.
  • aeevr
    aeevr Posts: 34
    Options
    I really started losing hair big time around the time I had lost 35-50lbs. It grew back. You should definitely be taking vitamins.

That being said, seeing the doc isn't a bad idea. My anecdotal experience is not that meaningful.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Please go see the doc. He should do some testing, including on your thyroid. I really hope it's just transient and will stop!
  • DoubleO7
    Options
    Hi -
    It’s normal that you will loose some hair as you loose some weight and change your eating habits. I was just wandering if your going threw a lot of stress? Is it Genetic? How about your thyroids; did you get them checked lately. These are all things that you could talk to your Dr about if this problem continues.

I myself take the essential fatty acid Omega 3.(please make sure that you are not allergic to fish before taking these supplements)

Omega 3 can actually strengthen the hair shafts to reduce the amount of hair loss, and can prevent the breakage of existing hair too. It is so useful to the skin and scalp that it is also known as a good treatment for dandruff too. Omega 3 is also a good supplement for the entire body and it can keep the hair looking shiny and lustrous for a very long time.

Take care. :flowerforyou:
    2778 - RHN
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I went through a really stressful time a few years back and got a big bald spot! :sick: I went to a dermatologist. diagnosed as an auto-immune reaction to stress. Gave me some goop to put on, didn't help too much. So they did little injections at the bald spot (not as bad as that sounds) and the hair grew back really fast. Haven't had any problems since.
  • 135sb
    135sb Posts: 24
    Options
    sometimes with weightloss you do not get all the necessary vit/min. Typically a low cal diet can cause hairloss because the body is not getting enough nutrition to support normal body function. With high protein there is usually a b-complex defiency.